[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Everton *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
What makes you think he’d have done anything different?

Been through this before - Hughton worked with what he had available - and extra £60million+ spent on players, Huddersfield best player from last season in on loan and Connolly and Alzate coming up to the squad. The Brighton squad is better - and when Hughton has better players he plays better football - he has shown that throughout his managerial career.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Been through this before - Hughton worked with what he had available - and extra £60million+ spent on players, Huddersfield best player from last season in on loan and Connolly and Alzate coming up to the squad. The Brighton squad is better - and when Hughton has better players he plays better football - he has shown that throughout his managerial career.

Connolly and Alzate were available to him, he just didn’t use them. Mooy didn’t play on Saturday.

Sorry - Hughton would have 100% settled for 2-2 and wouldn’t have even considered allowing his left back to go rampaging forward on 94 minutes. Not in a million years.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Connolly and Alzate were available to him, he just didn’t use them. Mooy didn’t play on Saturday.
Mooy didn't play because he was suspended - Alzate was on loan in League 2 last season and then was out for months with a stress fracture in his back - Connolly was also out for months at the same time with an injury and when he recovered he couldn't get into the Luton team in League One. Neither were going to feature last season no matter who was manager. Kids need time to develop - and Potter is fortunate that both of them have hit the ground running this season - there is no reason to believe that Hughton wouldn't have used them (in fact Hughton was encouraging Mick McCarthy to play Connolly in the Irish team a couple of weeks ago)

Sorry - Hughton would have 100% settled for 2-2 and wouldn’t have even considered allowing his left back to go rampaging forward on 94 minutes. Not in a million years.

Possibly - but it is also possible that Brighton wouldn't have lost to Southampton or Villa and would have beaten Newcastle if Hughton was still in charge. And Brighton were very lucky last weekend - Everton could just have easily won the game the way things were going.

We have no way of knowing what Hughton would or would not have done this season - just as we have no way of knowing if Potter could have kept Brighton up last season if he were manager. Every season is different and managers approach every season differently. And while things have been going pretty well for Brighton so far, there is no guarantee that it will stay on the rails - Potter still has to prove he can keep the club in the PL.Next weekend they have to beat Norwich and then there are two tough games - away to Man U and at home to Leicester. The Leicester game will tell a lot because they are on fire at the moment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mooy didn't play because he was suspended - Alzate was on loan in League 2 last season and then was out for months with a stress fracture in his back - Connolly was also out for months at the same time with an injury and when he recovered he couldn't get into the Luton team in League One. Neither were going to feature last season no matter who was manager. Kids need time to develop - and Potter is fortunate that both of them have hit the ground running this season - there is no reason to believe that Hughton wouldn't have used them (in fact Hughton was encouraging Mick McCarthy to play Connolly in the Irish team a couple of weeks ago)

Possibly - but it is also possible that Brighton wouldn't have lost to Southampton or Villa and would have beaten Newcastle if Hughton was still in charge. And Brighton were very lucky last weekend - Everton could just have easily won the game the way things were going.

We have no way of knowing what Hughton would or would not have done this season - just as we have no way of knowing if Potter could have kept Brighton up last season if he were manager. Every season is different and managers approach every season differently. And while things have been going pretty well for Brighton so far, there is no guarantee that it will stay on the rails - Potter still has to prove he can keep the club in the PL.Next weekend they have to beat Norwich and then there are two tough games - away to Man U and at home to Leicester. The Leicester game will tell a lot because they are on fire at the moment.

No way of knowing? We have quite a clue - we watched how Hughton approached every game in the second half (and longer) of last season.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
lose 3-4 games on the trot and you find yourself slipping very quickly, confidence starts to go etc. - it happens all the time (it happened last season)

Nope, last season we had some lucky wins and then our luck ran out and we started getting the results we deserved. This season has been the reverse. We will stay up this season because we deserve our place, last season it was a few lucky wins plus those around us that keeping us up.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Nope, last season we had some lucky wins and then our luck ran out and we started getting the results we deserved. This season has been the reverse. We will stay up this season because we deserve our place, last season it was a few lucky wins plus those around us that keeping us up.

Yes. Newcastle away and Wolves at home in particular. Both teams were far better than us but we somehow fluked wins we no way deserved.

I do grudgingly admire your capacity to come on another clubs forum and constently post unaldulterated nonsense.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

what team do you follow fella? and this is all supposition

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
what team do you follow fella? and this is all supposition
What do you think most of the comment is on here - except supposition?

People keep saying that Hughton should have played the kids (specifically Connolly and Alzate) last season - I argued that they weren't ready - both were injured and one played in League Two while the other couldn't get into a League One team. Six months can make a massive difference to players age 19-20 who are in the PL.

Now you can call that supposition - I would argue it is based on evidence - just as there is evidence that Hughton plays a different style of football when he has the players to do it. I have specifically pointed to the way Newcastle played when he was manager - he had the players at Newcastle and he let them express themselves.

As for what team I support - well I have been accused of any and all crimes in relation to that - and still people get it wrong. There is an automatic assumption that I don't support Brighton because some people can't accept my constructive comments/criticism which I would argue is largely based on evidence. But I am not going to confirm anything because I shouldn't have to (except deny which other teams I do not support - and it is quite a long list at this stage).

i don't mean to be rude but....... why?
And my reply is - why not? - is there a law against it?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

People keep saying that Hughton should have played the kids (specifically Connolly and Alzate) last season - I argued that they weren't ready - both were injured and one played in League Two while the other couldn't get into a League One team. Six months can make a massive difference to players age 19-20 who are in the PL.

Now you can call that supposition - I would argue it is based on evidence - just as there is evidence that Hughton plays a different style of football when he has the players to do it. I have specifically pointed to the way Newcastle played when he was manager - he had the players at Newcastle and he let them express themselves.

As for what team I support - well I have been accused of any and all crimes in relation to that - and still people get it wrong. There is an automatic assumption that I don't support Brighton because some people can't accept my constructive comments/criticism which I would argue is largely based on evidence. But I am not going to confirm anything because I shouldn't have to (except deny which other teams I do not support - and it is quite a long list at this stage).

And my reply is - why not? - is there a law against it?

oooooooh!

you cagey little minx...

why is that?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Absolutely agree with this. The few posts of yours that I have read I generally don't agree with your conclusions. However unlike some on here at least you put thought into what you are saying rather than simply pulling opinions out of your arse. I also find it amusing that when someone dares to criticise the club they are labelled a troll from another club or worse still, shock horror, a Palace supporter. I post on debate groups regarding religion. Every time I criticise a common logical fallacy put up by atheists I get attacked for being a Bible thumper, and am met with demands to prove the existence of my imaginary friend. As a fairly strident atheist I have a great deal of fun playing these people. Why anyone would think that someone who has a good knowledge of our team and clearly cares about its direction would be a non supporter is beyond me.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Agree with above. JRG has a good knowledge of the Irish team and knew stuff about Connolly that I didn't know. I find respectful posters from other clubs very interesting- far more interesting than Spence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports