Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Chelsea *** Official Match Thread ***

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dunk was standing on the sideline for quite a few seconds because I remember shouting at the ref to let him back on. So was most of our area in the north.
He was waved on after 30 seconds of the restart as per laws

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I thought the first half we were not at the races , they were quicker , stronger, and looked dangerous every time they attacked us ,
they also looked some much bigger on the pitch than us ,
I do think our lack of size/physicality is a problem. RDZ has alluded to it as well. I like WBG and Pascal is a legend, but as a midfield partnership it’s a huge downgrade on last season and why we can’t keep pace with the ‘bigger’ clubs this season. It’s understandable - having a WC winner and a £115m player as our CM was a luxury we won’t be able to replicate. But I think we need to double down on playing Baleba now, as well as ensuring we focus on bringing in some more athleticism and power in our recruitment this summer.

albionalba

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2023
sadly in Scotland
The Dunk thing was very frustrating regardless of the rights and wrongs. It was one of those things that seemed plain wrong on the night but seems harder to see from the video and pictures afterwards! How does that ever happen in football....

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
They are the rules now but the referee earlier let Cucurella straight back on after being treated.
Was that not more to do with the fact that he was sent to get a blood injury sorted rather than play was stopped because he was injured?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think it's just two players going in different directions accidentally clashing at the worst impact points.

It's really not violent conduct is it?
I don't think it was in any way a red. But in no way was it 'accidental' either - Lamptey knew exactly what he was doing in blocking him off. If the guy hadn't ducked into him, it would have been an absolutely nothing incident.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I don't think it was in any way a red. But in no way was it 'accidental' either - Lamptey knew exactly what he was doing in blocking him off. If the guy hadn't ducked into him, it would have been an absolutely nothing incident.
As per my full sentence, "accidentally clashing at the worst impact points". They're two players playing highly competitive sport, of course they're grappling. The idea that the contact to Mudryk's face, which is what some people deem "violent conduct", could be anything more than accidental is ludicrous.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Whisper it (and it was the same last time he was injured): I am not sure we are weakened when Dunk is absent. We have other players. Webster was excellent today and I'm pleased about that.

In fact, I really enjoyed how good we were today. No ifs or buts. I don't generally do pride, but I felt something; pleasing.
webster's passing and ball carrying gets him into trouble 2 or 3 times per match. He doesn't have the passing range of Dunk either. I think I saw him do a chest pass to the keeper though. He played well but Dunk and Van Hecke are ahead of him with Igor at the same level imo.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yep, I agree with all of that 👍.
Strong, skillful, inconsistent. Will be interesting to see if Poch can take them to the next level (hope not).
Gusto very strong, compact player and Adingra did look a bit lost at time.

We dominated in spells, Barco and Pedro excellent on the left, but we needed Pedro in the middle as well. He makes things happen in tight spaces whereas Welbz needs the defence to open up a bit for him. Great goal from us though.
Pedro carries the ball too long and is reluctant to shoot. Don't know whether he is being coached to do it or if he hasn't yet been coached not to do it. It seems to be both a Potter thing and a de Zerbi thing.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
webster's passing and ball carrying gets him into trouble 2 or 3 times per match. He doesn't have the passing range of Dunk either. I think I saw him do a chest pass to the keeper though. He played well but Dunk and Van Hecke are ahead of him with Igor at the same level imo.
Oh yes - van Hecke. Can't remember what his injury is now - there are so many. Will he be back pre-season?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
We all know Salusbury is utterly incompetent but there a huge dollop of bias mixed in with it.:-
Immediate award of the Chelsea pen and reluctance to overturn
Refusal to award the Adingra penalty
Refusal to award the Dunk pen for Cucumber's wrestling
Refusal to award free kick to Gross when pulled to the ground by Gallagher
Immediate award of Jackson free-kick for diving over Bart's leg. Surprised he didn't brandish a red tbh.
Award of a free-kick to Gallagher for falling to the ground when defending a Brighton attack.
Refusal to punish Chelsea professional fouls with free-kicks or yellow cards
Refusal to make them retreat 10 yards at free-kicks or to book them for delaying the kick.
Played 13 seconds over the 10 minutes added time despite subs and Gallagher wasting at least a minute with an "injury".

These are the things I noticed watching in real-time. It's astonishing when you see them all written down.

Is he deliberately corrupt or unconsciously in awe of the big 6?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
We all know Salusbury is utterly incompetent but there a huge dollop of bias mixed in with it.:-
Immediate award of the Chelsea pen and reluctance to overturn
Refusal to award the Adingra penalty
Refusal to award the Dunk pen for Cucumber's wrestling
Refusal to award free kick to Gross when pulled to the ground by Gallagher
Immediate award of Jackson free-kick for diving over Bart's leg. Surprised he didn't brandish a red tbh.
Award of a free-kick to Gallagher for falling to the ground when defending a Brighton attack.
Refusal to punish Chelsea professional fouls with free-kicks or yellow cards
Refusal to make them retreat 10 yards at free-kicks or to book them for delaying the kick.
Played 13 seconds over the 10 minutes added time despite subs and Gallagher wasting at least a minute with an "injury".

These are the things I noticed watching in real-time. It's astonishing when you see them all written down.

Is he deliberately corrupt or unconsciously in awe of the big 6?
He really didnt want to overturn their penalty. With one replay you could see it was a perfectly fine tackle, but he stood at that monitor reviewing it for f***ing ages...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here