Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Chelsea *** Official Match Thread ***

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Enjoyed last night, I sound like a busted chew-toy this morning. What was going on in N1G at half-time, police in the stands, but didn't look like they were ejecting any Chelsea, seemed to involve our support?
A lady officer of the law came over to whisper sweet nothings into the ear of a young lad. He didn't seem to be Chelsea and was there for the second half. Maybe they were a couple and she wanted to know what takeaway to pick up on the way home.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Pedro needs some heading practise during the close season, seems to mistime his jumps. Maybe Welbs can take him aside.
Not sure how Lamps got MOM it was Barco for me with his exciting 45 mins
Not sure how nearly getting sent off early on qualifies anyone for MOM. It was only because they didn't have close up footage that he didn't walk.

The disallowed (harsh IMO) goal and the slip for the second makes it worse.

By the way, who was the bell end co-commentator last night ?

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Cucurella deserved the booing all the way through.
I'm still feeling massively irritated by him 12 hours on. Everything he does, from grabbing Dunk at corners, to feigning injury, to getting in the ref's ear, to coming infield from his full-back berth when the Chelsea centre-backs have the ball... all of it drives me nuts.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
A lady officer of the law came over to whisper sweet nothings into the ear of a young lad. He didn't seem to be Chelsea and was there for the second half. Maybe they were a couple and she wanted to know what takeaway to pick up on the way home.
Whatever was going on, it garnered a lot of interest from those around me in N1F. Glad to hear it wasn't anything too serious.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Doubt Tony was booing Cacaeido or Cucurella.......... Didn`t they between them make a profit of over £140 million for the club !!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
They look like what they are, not a very coherent team with high grade constituent parts. When it clicks ot works but they spent a lot of the evening not being very cohesive. They also looked like they were falling apart under pressure at the end and we were the better team for lots of the second half.

What they do have is absolutely bags of physicality and pace. Nkunku, that ponytailed twerp, Palmer, the basketball lad up front. Madueke. All like shit off a shovel. Theyre all massive as well. So when our attacks broke down they just needed to volley clear over our creaking slow backline and they would get to it every time so it looked like likenan effective tactic but they'll need more coherencr against the top teams. I'm just not convinced Pochetino has it in him to turn that into something more consistent.

Their best player for me was Gusto. He looked excellent fast and powerful and made Adingra look like a schoolkid.

No surprise when Adingra was shifted over to face Coco the clown and had much more success. And Pedro and Barco had tons of success down the left when Wide-Load came on, even before he had his aberration.
Yep, I agree with all of that 👍.
Strong, skillful, inconsistent. Will be interesting to see if Poch can take them to the next level (hope not).
Gusto very strong, compact player and Adingra did look a bit lost at time.

We dominated in spells, Barco and Pedro excellent on the left, but we needed Pedro in the middle as well. He makes things happen in tight spaces whereas Welbz needs the defence to open up a bit for him. Great goal from us though.

Last edited:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It might just be my bad eyesight but I struggled with Chelsea’s blue kit against our blue and white stripes. It’s not the first time this season the away team have worn a similar kit to ours.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Obvious to me we lack pace. Chelsea much more dangerous on the break. Often our build up this season has been too ponderous.
We are woeful on the break. We often have numerical advantage attacking their goal and barely ever make it count whereas our opposition regularly seem to score on the break.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
We are woeful on the break. We often have numerical advantage attacking their goal and barely ever make it count whereas our opposition regularly seem to score on the break.

Woeful because of the complete predictability and the infuriating slowing down as we reach the last 1/4 of the pitch allowing the opposition to regroup. I struggle to believe that this is actually part of DeZerbi ball so why do we keep doing it every game?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
At the match I thought we were obviously second best and Chelsea deserved their win. However, on reflection I think we did quite well and a point might have been taken. The highlights , Albion edited obviously, show we had several good chances (how Gross missed the target I don't know ?), hit the woodwork twice and had a stonewall penalty turned down . Against that Chelsea had several good chances on the break and a goal disallowed which might have been allowed , Bart made a couple of smart saves but not much else. Oh well..

Alwaysblue

Jul 19, 2018
At the match I thought we were obviously second best and Chelsea deserved their win. However, on reflection I think we did quite well and a point might have been taken. The highlights , Albion edited obviously, show we had several good chances (how Gross missed the target I don't know ?), hit the woodwork twice and had a stonewall penalty turned down . Against that Chelsea had several good chances on the break and a goal disallowed which might have been allowed , Bart made a couple of smart saves but not much else. Oh well..
This! Thought if we did get another. Don't think it would of been unfair, chelsea had 3-4 good chances and so did we

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Not sure how nearly getting sent off early on qualifies anyone for MOM. It was only because they didn't have close up footage that he didn't walk.
Did I miss something completely re: Lamptey's collision with Mudryk?

It was completely innocuous live. I've seen it back and at the very worst it's a block by Tariq that catches Mudryk at an unfortunate angle. There's no movement of the arm whatsoever, the connection is with his shoulder and Lamptey seems completely unaware of any damage he's caused. If that's being given as a red then I don't know the laws anywhere near as well as I thought I did...

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Did I miss something completely re: Lamptey's collision with Mudryk?

It was completely innocuous live. I've seen it back and at the very worst it's a block by Tariq that catches Mudryk at an unfortunate angle. There's no movement of the arm whatsoever, the connection is with his shoulder and Lamptey seems completely unaware of any damage he's caused. If that's being given as a red then I don't know the laws anywhere near as well as I thought I did...
You can clearly see on the club extended highlights he raises and leads with his shoulder. Now we know he's not a dirty player and he probably doesn't mean it but he does catch him in the face and the player needs to go off with concussion.

Seen plenty of accidental blocks that have lead to head injuries given as reds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here