Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Charlton Athletic *** Official Match Thread ***

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
My mind goes back to 1983. Great game at the Goldstone. If I remember right, Charlton were top of the old Second Division and unbeaten (possibly 100% but I'm not so sure about that). We stuffed them 7-0, with a Jimmy Case hat trick if I remember right.

I'm going for that same score. This time it will be a Colunga hat trick. One each for Tex, Baldrick, CMS and Dunk.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My mind goes back to 1983. Great game at the Goldstone. If I remember right, Charlton were top of the old Second Division and unbeaten (possibly 100% but I'm not so sure about that). We stuffed them 7-0, with a Jimmy Case hat trick if I remember right.

I'm going for that same score. This time it will be a Colunga hat trick. One each for Tex, Baldrick, CMS and Dunk.

The 3-5 defeat a couple of seasons later was a great game of football featuring Martin Keown as a scoring centre forward !

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
My mind goes back to 1983. Great game at the Goldstone. If I remember right, Charlton were top of the old Second Division and unbeaten (possibly 100% but I'm not so sure about that).

Not quite. Unbeaten, yes.
But they were third, four points off top (W3 D4 L0).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Have seen Charlton this month, and they do look a different proposition to last season.

I still expect Albion to win if they turn up and play half-decent but Vetokele is very sharp and if we make mistakes he is going to score, already grabbed a goal in three of his first four Championship games. Tucudean also looks a handful up front, though he may take longer to settle in the Championship.

The youngster Cousins is very quick and dangerous in bursts, can't seem to do it for a whole match but could give our full-backs problems. Buyens is a midfielder who will control it given a chance (I don't expect that to happen). And lumping balls into the box won't work with a rejuvenated Bikey, but that doesn't look like it's going to be our style anyway this season with smaller, mobile guys up front.

Peeters has already had one touchline bust-up this season, but I imagine Sami will be too cool for that. Having said that it would be a clash of the titans, one worth paying for...

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Decided to go on my own today. Can I pay at the ground? I'll have to set off in the next 10 minutes.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I know nothing about tactics or football but watching Tex play he is the kind of guy who has only one thing in mind, where's the goal and shoot. He is a dead cert to score.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Should be an interesting match-up of two squads much changed from last season. Charlton only really have one striker who can be relied on for goals (the fast reacting Vetokele), Jackson is a little off the pace in centre mid, and we don't have a commanding goalkeeper. Annoyingly, all three of these positions should have been rectified by now, but planned transfers in have dragged on. (Most frustratingly, we agreed a five year deal with Andy Delort, top scorer in the French second division, THREE WEEKS AGO but his club have held on for more than our 3m Euros, and Wigan and Wolves have recently come in for him too.)

Charlton's Chairman shifted his main focus from Standard Liege to Charlton (and to a lesser extent, Spanish side Alcorcon) over the summer and we're spending substantially for the first time in many years. Not just on players, either - around 1 million went on a new pitch, which has been made two yards wider, as we are looking towards wing-play rather than hoofball these days. There's plenty of goal potentially in our midfield - Jackson likes a dig from long range, Icelandic winger Gudmondsson is one of two genuine PL quality players in the Charlton line-up (the other is CM Buyens, our only Standard loanee at present, who was a regular for them last season). Franck Moussa, meanwhile, bagged goal of the season for the whole Football League last year.

Defence is solid if notably lacking in pace in the middle. Tal Ben Haim will do at least three things that Albion fans will boo him for (despite you perhaps appreciating the fact he almost bankrupted Pompey). If we had got those three players we still need in by now, I'd be inclined to tip the draw. As it is, I'll go 2-1 or 3-1 to Albion, with Charlton's goal from Vetokele.

Last edited:

Mar 2, 2014
I'm looking forward to the game today. It's a shame we didn't have this squad in place for the Sheffield Wednesday game, but I think we can all appreciate how difficult it is getting in the players that you want. Having now signed Colunga, Baldock and Holla we have covered all the bare positions. Teixeira is also a very useful addition in general, as are Bennett and Gardner.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Surely Charlton are the best team we've played so far. I think we're going to need something special from the likes of Tex to get a result.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Team Tinycowboy have arrived in BN1. It's hot, we're excited. On our way to guitar shops and Resident. Our old house has been painted greeny blue I see....

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
If a CAFC fan I'd definitely take the online 4/1. I'm going 2-1 Albion, hard fought

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here