Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Burnley *** Official Match Thread ***

Fritz the Cat

Jan 6, 2022
Thanks for coming back.

First, I agree with you about Gove. He is my least favourite politician. No redeeming features whatsoever. Nevertheless, politicking on a Friday night drinking thread, misjudges the mood.

Onto the Burnley game, and we didn't turn up. But we also missed Dunk, Webster and Burn. But Potter was gracious about it, didn't blame the absence of three centre backs, and took full responsibility for the team not being at the required levels. In short, Potter agrees with you. But did you agree with him after our win at Watford? Before you claim Dyche is better than Potter, have you looked at the table recently? The season is 38 games long, not one.

I did agree with him after the Watford game. I'm not one of the 'Potter out' brigade [if there really is such a thing]. We play much more attractive football under him certainly, but sometimes I think he out thinks himself - if that's possible.. I'm not saying Dyche is a better coach over a season - but yesterday he was. I also like the way he's not afraid to put youngsters in the team - which Hughton certainly was. My original point was that we still have a problem scoring goals - he hasn't solved that. Pointing this out seemed to annoy some people - which mystifies me as it seems obvious - perhaps pointing out the 'bleeding obvious' was what annoyed them. Who knows ? Frankly at my age I don't care. I guess we were all pretty angry yesterday at such a dreadful performance. I hope he does solve the goal scoring problem - there is no finer sight than that net bulging. Let's hope we see it more often !

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I did agree with him after the Watford game. I'm not one of the 'Potter out' brigade [if there really is such a thing]. We play much more attractive football under him certainly, but sometimes I think he out thinks himself - if that's possible.. I'm not saying Dyche is a better coach over a season - but yesterday he was. I also like the way he's not afraid to put youngsters in the team - which Hughton certainly was. My original point was that we still have a problem scoring goals - he hasn't solved that. Pointing this out seemed to annoy some people - which mystifies me as it seems obvious - perhaps pointing out the 'bleeding obvious' was what annoyed them. Who knows ? Frankly at my age I don't care. I guess we were all pretty angry yesterday at such a dreadful performance. I hope he does solve the goal scoring problem - there is no finer sight than that net bulging. Let's hope we see it more often !

Yes, agreed. I'll drink to that next Friday.

I agree - to an extent - that Potter hasn't solved the goal scoring problem. But, Maupay is getting a few more this season, yesterday notwithstanding. Did you notice that Dyche doubled up his defenders on Lamptey, the source of the bulk of our crosses? Maupay and Welbeck got very little service. Dyche cut off the supply. Welcome to the premier league. Other teams study us and counter our strengths.

I would add that we are, and have long been, a work in progress. This progress will be neither consistent, nor uniform. There will be setbacks. But our league position is higher than the same stage last season, and the previous one. And....well you get the picture.

Perhaps a byproduct of our greater success, is great expectations.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Have you got any suggestions who could have played at centre back ? I havent

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

With the benefit of hindsight, Haydon Roberts at the expense of a striker. Roberts on the left side, Duffy central and Veltman probably more comfortable at RCB in a back 3. We couldn't have done any worse.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the benefit of hindsight, Haydon Roberts at the expense of a striker. Roberts on the left side, Duffy central and Veltman probably more comfortable at RCB in a back 3. We couldn't have done any worse.

Agree - although maybe not at the start, but certainly when we changed to three (Veltman-Duffy-Cucu) at the back. Roberts on then, leaving Cucu to do what he does best (playing as an attacking LWB) would seem an obvious choice (and hindsight or not, I thought that at the time too!)

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Brighton haven’t won any of their past five Premier League games against opponents starting the day bottom of the table (D3 L2), suffering defeats in two of the past three (previously 0-1 v Sheffield United in April 2021)

That is a record we need to change ASAP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here