Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Brentford *** Official Match Thread ***

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That was bad, really bad. The defence looked like they'd never met each other, and we looked so susceptible to their counters. Knockaert and Dunk decent, but other than that Elvis was probably the next best in the 20 mins he had - yes the others were that poor.

Would drop Hemded for Baldock, Norwood for Stephens, Murphy for Skalak and Duffy for Goldson. I'd say Bong as well, but assume that Pocognoli must be injured as he wasn't even in the squad.

Hopefully today was this year's Rotherham moment. We still have the players that almost got us up last year; we've not become shit because we didn't sign a new striker.

Do you know who Brentford looked like for most of today? Us. Around seven months ago.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Duffy will play (as he's our record signing) regardless of ability and form. Never sign losers, this guy is a loser. It's early days obviously, but I reckon we paid about £3.5 million too much for him.

Sounds right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Did we have much of a penalty shout? Anyone with a good view see any contact?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
IF the club had made THE striker signing for serious money, the last thing it should do is leave itself vulnerable at the back.
Signing Duffy (clearly wanted by CH) makes all the sense in the world, with Goldson and Uwe not yet back.

But without THE striker, it makes no odds who plays next to Dunk because the team aren't going to score enough goals for the top 2 place TB talked about.
He's completely wasted £4m which I assume came straight from the 'striker fund'.

I do think this kind of bedwetting should be held back for a while.
I'd certainly be writing 'ah but wait till Nov', on the back of H&M each scoring a hattrick today, so clearly I can't have it both ways.
But as I've been repeatedly saying since the window, 'I just can't see where the goals come from'.

Okay I get yer... BUT I disagree we needed Duffy at all. We never give our young CBs a chance, (Dunk and Elphick aside) i'd have given the Scots lad a chance, what is the ****ING point of the dev. Squad?!?

What a waste of bloody money.

Nah I'm really pissed off about this summer's 'work.' Not good enough, to be a team challenging - which is what we were told we'd be.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The really horrendous thing is that if we do end up farting around the mid-table for the rest of the season, and based on today's "performance" that's a very real possibility, we're going to lose our squad. Knocky will go next year unless we go up. Stephens may as well not be here anyway. Kayal won't sign.

It really feels like do or die this season and we're seemingly not up to it.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Okay I get yer... BUT I disagree we needed Duffy at all. We never give our young CBs a chance, (Dunk and Elphick aside) i'd have given the Scots lad a chance, what is the ****ING point of the dev. Squad?!?

Nah I'm really pissed off about this summer's 'work.' Not good enough, to be a team challenging - which is what we were told we'd be.

This all day long-term nailed it

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This all day long-term nailed it

Thanks brother!

Seriously we've lost two since Duffy came in, could it have been any worse?!? Goldy would have been back very soon, now he's going to be thinking hmmmmmmm Dunk and Duffy nailed on first picks. Dunk deserves this, Duffy?!? Arghhh

Hey let's buy a CB who chucked his toys out at Ewood and OG'd his way to a club record transfer... I mean WTF were we smoking?!?

I want some. Now.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
The really horrendous thing is that if we do end up farting around the mid-table for the rest of the season, and based on today's "performance" that's a very real possibility, we're going to lose our squad. Knocky will go next year unless we go up. Stephens may as well not be here anyway. Kayal won't sign.

Who cares. It's Blooms money not ours. If he's happy to spunk money I don't care. My life goes on regardless but bet he's now counting his penny's as he cant sutain the loses for so long.

If we we don't get promoted this season then we're in trouble.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The early vibes look this way. Who could begrudge Dunk, Stephens and Knockaert moving to the PL next summer, leaving the mediocrity and lower pay of the Albion/Championship?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

A team instructed by it's owner to be in the top 2 at the end of the season needs 4 top flight centre backs.
It also needs 4 top flight striker + 2 capable 'spares'.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
A team instructed by it's owner to be in the top 2 at the end of the season needs 4 top flight centre backs.
It also needs 4 top flight striker + 2 capable 'spares'.

True, but Duffy would have been a league 1 CB by next season. I disagree that he's anywhere near 'top quality.' Sorry, I think the recruitment team/Hughton got this wrong. What has he done to prove to you that he is a top quality CB?!?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
True, but Duffy would have been a league 1 CB by next season. I disagree that he's anywhere near 'top quality.' Sorry, I think the recruitment team/Hughton got this wrong. What has he done to prove to you that he is a top quality CB?!?
You've got to give the fella time, a couple of games at a new club, building a new partner relationship isn't going to happen instantly.

Duffy's 'crime' is that he's arrived at a team which is phenomenal at generating excellent centre backs.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Thanks brother!

Seriously we've lost two since Duffy came in, could it have been any worse?!? Goldy would have been back very soon, now he's going to be thinking hmmmmmmm Dunk and Duffy nailed on first picks. Dunk deserves this, Duffy?!? Arghhh

Hey let's buy a CB who chucked his toys out at Ewood and OG'd his way to a club record transfer... I mean WTF were we smoking?!?

I want some. Now.

Goldy n Hunemuier are more than capable of stepping in but now we've blown 4m on a CB that we'll have to play him or lose face

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That was the worst performance I have seen in a year. No cohesion. Sloppy. Off the pace.

I hope that was just a bad day at the office.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sounded horrible.

We we know the players are much better than that, Hughton will earn his money this week. Hopefully the players will realise that the whole team performance was unacceptable and be fired up to put it right.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
So, Murray not the saviour we expected then?

Well to be fair 'we' didn't all expect him to be a saviour. It was those that don't seem able to grasp the logic that as players get older they lose their edge. There have been several NSC posters in, and before the transfer window begging the club to sign almost anyone that had played for the club before ??? We need speed up front, unfortunately only Elvis has that quality ... but bugger all else.
Anyway guys don't write off the season on one bad game, and slagging off Bruno is uncalled for. The guy's been a rock up to now. :shrug:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's difficult to find any positives at all today. It's like watching a different team to last season.

I don't know if Hughton has deliberately changed the formation but the biggest problem for me was Norwood who played far too deep today. Because he was so deep it was leaving Kayal isolated in the middle and they constantly had time on the ball with no pressure. They won everything in the middle of the park.
It looked like the full backs were pushing really high up the pitch which took away any space for wingers, Knocky tried hard but couldn't do it all by himself and Murphy barely touched the ball. The two big men up from don't work.

I've got a really bad feeling about this season now. It's clear that we haven't strengthened at all in the window and whatever edge the team had last season is gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here