Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AS Roma *** Official Match Thread ***

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
And the injured Milner
agreed and that's what makes a top team unfortunately. Forget the football aspects of City & Liverpool but just watch how their players play the professional game , also generally much more subtle than open shithousery of teams like Villa.. Funnily enough Buonanotte has a bit of it as well.

Exilegull

Mar 14, 2024
Gilmour (in that respect) is an absolute lost cause. He needs to just realise that his shooting 'technique' is so pathetically bad, and just try to move it on to somebody else, whenever it falls to him anywhere near the goal. Every 'shot' he has is just a waste of possession.
That or he is a young lad with poor self confidence in front of goal. Depends on what you believe I guess and I want one thing and you want another. But Billy is great and really wants to get better. If you email the club and tell them that you can improve Billy's shooting technique he would be open for it. If you feel your not qualified to it then maybe you dont know as much about shooting technique as you like to think.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
goodbye-brighton.gif

goodbye-brighton2.gif
4-1 down late in the game when most folk have work/school in the morning and the trains getting away from the ground are notoriously shit/stopping early for works on some lines...

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
All too easy to get knocked out?
Christ, we could've finished bottom of our group and crashed out pretty much after 3 games... instead we battled back to win a bloody tough group after losing the 1st game and going 2 down away in marseille. We were fantastic after that point and surprised everyone by topping the group

Then being unfortunate to get the toughest (but very exciting) draw we could've done against a) Roma and b) a very in form Roma, who we then faced without 2 of our most influential attacking players?
We gave a really good account of ourselves last night and another night would've had a couple more if it weren't for some fantastic keeping. Easy to say we should've moved the ball quicker at times, but easier said than done when you're facing such a resolute Italian team also determined to employ all the dark arts right from the off

Gave ourselves too much to do last week, but 4-0 wasn't quite a fair reflection of the game imo. Very unfair to say we didn't turn up when it mattered when you look at the bigger picture of our first EL campaign, who we faced, the injuries we've had... results like last week happen - it's football. Doesn't mean we didn't turn up. We could've easily been 1 up if the deflected shot had hit the inside of the post and not the outside
Top post!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Haven't seen this mentioned specifically but I thought Lallana was excellent last night in the way he orchestrated the game. I was close to the pitch and his talking/yelling/screeching to his team mates was constant. I thought he did a good job winding up a couple of their players, and definitely led to one of them being booked. Such a shame he's lost his legs but the old fella is quality and a future manager in the making for sure.
I thought when he came on late against Notts Forest there was an immediate injection of quality - same from the start against Roma

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Fati is so shit. Would’ve been better to leave Enciso on even though he was half fit and tiring.
I have very mixed feelings on Fati. He created two chances (his clever crosses, IIRC) within 5 minutes of coming on, and it's not his fault they weren't converted.
But, yes, he made mistakes and had little impact after that.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That or he is a young lad with poor self confidence in front of goal. Depends on what you believe I guess and I want one thing and you want another. But Billy is great and really wants to get better. If you email the club and tell them that you can improve Billy's shooting technique he would be open for it. If you feel your not qualified to it then maybe you dont know as much about shooting technique as you like to think.
Good grief. Here we go again.

Billy Gilmour’s shooting is among the worst of any player I’ve seen play for the Albion. Which is a bit odd tbh, for a lad who is quite a decent player technically. As soon as he gets a sight of goal, he just slashes at it with no control whatsoever. The lad has played 93 games of senior club football, and despite shooting as often as he can, has racked up a total of *checks notes*… zero goals. You don’t need a UEFA pro license to know that his shooting is terrible - just eyes.

But you’re right of course - it’s unlikely that I’m going to be the one to improve that record. Hopefully the player and the dozens of professional coaches (and perhaps sports psychologists) the club employs, could do something about it instead?

To suggest though, that you want him to succeed, and I don’t, is a little silly, isn’t it? See we are both Albion fans. All Albion fans generally want to see Albion players score goals, so that the Albion can win football matches.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’d be more worried that our dedicated strikers are struggling to score goals at the moment than our defensive midfield players but yep, WBG has a poor eye for the back of the net for sure and should leave it to someone else to convert. Verbruggen is another one - missed a 6 yard walk in a few weeks ago iirc :lolol:

No wonder we have a soft centre offering little protection for the CB’s.

Gilmour has a good passing game, but he lacks the pace, power and skill to be a relentless presser and reader of threats.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I watched the game yesterday afternoon and we did have plenty of chances.
If those headers had been directed downward instead of just putting the head in the way, Duffy like, then it could have been different.
Need to finish better, instinctive shots rather than f***ing it, trying to set up every time.
Take a leaf from Pep's book and just keep shooting and getting defections off all the bodies in the area.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I’d be more worried that our dedicated strikers are struggling to score goals at the moment than our defensive midfield players but yep, WBG has a poor eye for the back of the net for sure and should leave it to someone else to convert. Verbruggen is another one - missed a 6 yard walk in a few weeks ago iirc :lolol:
You don't. It was Steele.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I watched the game yesterday afternoon and we did have plenty of chances.
If those headers had been directed downward instead of just putting the head in the way, Duffy like, then it could have been different.
Need to finish better, instinctive shots rather than f***ing it, trying to set up every time.
Take a leaf from Pep's book and just keep shooting and getting defections off all the bodies in the area.
I remember reading Calvert Lewin talking about Ancelotti’s coaching of him and it was all about finding space in the box and shooting first touch. No coincidence that DCL hasn’t been as prolific before or since Ancelotti. It’s advice many of our team could use - too many taking a first touch and then getting closed down

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I remember reading Calvert Lewin talking about Ancelotti’s coaching of him and it was all about finding space in the box and shooting first touch. No coincidence that DCL hasn’t been as prolific before or since Ancelotti.

Is he not allowed to find space and shoot first time now that Ancelotti's gone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here