Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal *** Official Match Thread ***

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thought there were positives to take from the game, but a bit upset to see our third chalked off.

I do have faith in our young attackers, but don’t feel we should be immediately shouting for Ferguson to start every match. We’ve seen Connolly turn bad fast, and I don’t want to repeat past mistakes. A slow phase in is called for.
The mistakes made with Connolly need not be repeated - and that's nothing to do with whether Ferguson goes out on loan or plays an increasing number of games with the first team.
With Connolly, it was obvious by the January after that Spurs game - and certainly by the following summer - that he was struggling at PL level and needed to go out and remember how to score a hatful at a lower level; but.......for whatever reason, it didn't happen. We need to get Ferguson right - but what hapened to Connolly has no bearing on it.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I also think there should be some sort of equivalent of "umpires call" adopted in VAR
There is - or is supposed to be. To any sensible person that is encapsulated in the phrase 'clear and obvious'!

'Close'.... 'marginal' ........ 'could have gone either way' ..... 'seen them given' ............ if any of those apply, then it isn't a clear and obvious enough error to intervene and overturn.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I chuffin love you Karou.

Everything was in apart from him scoring and I was hovering over the £75 cash out, but thought I’d give it another 10 minutes.

014A7C26-0CF5-47D5-AEDE-D5B682666618.jpeg

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The mistakes made with Connolly need not be repeated - and that's nothing to do with whether Ferguson goes out on loan or plays an increasing number of games with the first team.
With Connolly, it was obvious by the January after that Spurs game - and certainly by the following summer - that he was struggling at PL level and needed to go out and remember how to score a hatful at a lower level; but.......for whatever reason, it didn't happen. We need to get Ferguson right - but what hapened to Connolly has no bearing on it.
Just my opinion based on interviews and outside observation. Connolly and Ferguson are totally different personalities. I'm not sure even if the club sent Connolly out on loan before, we'd have anything but a bit of a dickhead like we do at the moment.

Ferguson comes over as a down to earth kid who doesn't have the dickhead gene. He is the same age as Enciso.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just my opinion based on interviews and outside observation. Connolly and Ferguson are totally different personalities. I'm not sure even if the club sent Connolly out on loan before, we'd have anything but a bit of a dickhead like we do at the moment.

Ferguson comes over as a down to earth kid who doesn't have the dickhead gene. He is the same age as Enciso.
Exactly. The treatment of one is irrelevant to the best treatment of the other.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Errmmm ......... any chance of getting on early on MOTD do you reckon? Although it won't be fun to see them raving about Arsenal - and they probably won't even discuss our third 'goal'.......................

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Thought Mitoma was standout good today

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Afraid so, and that was his biggest strength. Looking ominous that it may never come back.
I thought he looked like he still had it v Liverpool in the 2-2 there last season, which was one of his first games back. I wonder if he’s still being held back from going 100% in training when it comes to sprints.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If they applied the same added time mantra seen at the WC we would still be playing in 2023.

Why did Arsenal waste so much time?

We were there for the taking for 60 minutes.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Just watched a replay of Mitomas disallowed goal, commentator says it was disallowed because Mitoma was coming back from an offside position, although he was only in an offside position when our throw in was taken, also, the ball to him does not appear to have been played forward.

Can anyone clarify ?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Just watched a replay of Mitomas disallowed goal, commentator says it was disallowed because Mitoma was coming back from an offside position, although he was only in an offside position when our throw in was taken, also, the ball to him does not appear to have been played forward.

Can anyone clarify ?
I'm not 100% on the rules but Ferguson has 2 touches, by the second of which I don't think Mitoma is offside. I would assume it has to be measured from the second touch and therefore the offside is factually incorrect. IF that is correct then that is pretty scandalous officiating.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone clarify ?
From what I understand, Mitoma was onside for the throw in, then for a split second was offside the moment Ferguson touched the ball. Personally I think it is a complete nonsense, as a player should be allowed to run back onside then receive or retrieve the ball. Ferguson didn’t even pass the ball, he lost control of the ball and Mitoma took it off him. The offside rule needs updating and VAR should not be getting involved in these extremely marginal decisions. Ruined a grandstand finish.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I'm not 100% on the rules but Ferguson has 2 touches, by the second of which I don't think Mitoma is offside. I would assume it has to be measured from the second touch and therefore the offside is factually incorrect. IF that is correct then that is pretty scandalous officiating.
Yes I would like to see a close up view, if there was a second touch, as it is impossible to tell from the highlights, then no way is Mitoma offside. Just so poor from VAR again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here