[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AFC Ajax *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He did a few.

Possibly annoyed that Mitoma beat him to it.

And then Jason Steele completed the hat-trick.
Yep. Our GK did a Cruyff turn, against Ajax, in his own 6 yard box.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It felt like we had the ball for about 10 minutes without an Ajax player getting a sniff of the ball. It was truly a masterclass in game management and possibly overlooked as to how important that passage of play was.
It completely demoralised the Ajax players and REALLY pissed off the Ajax fans.
Absolutely MARVELLOUS SCENES!
Something you never see in the UK which I enjoyed watching at the end of the game was the Ajax players going right over to their fans to chat (I presume) with some of their top boys - would have loved to know what was being said. Seemed a very mixed reaction from their fans as they walked over- some very clearly abusing them/some clapping- I assume more for making the effort to go over than for the performance!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Seriously where were you watching!? Was brilliant in the North. A mate sat in the East lower about half way (doesn't often go) text to say it sounded great too.
First half superb,
second half, was a bit patchy.
Ajax settling for a small loss ,didn't help the atmosphere from either set of fans .

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
Agree with a lot of what’s being said on here.

Thought those RB looked amazing keeping Mitoma at bay, great battle out there, sign him up.

Would love to know how many passes we strung together before Pedros goal, I think it’ll be more than the Man U team wonder goal.

One thing people aren’t talking about much is how amazing the Fati goal was, the movements and pass from Adingra was absolutely magical and the run, first touch, and quick shot from Fati was genius.

Regarding atmosphere, I only watched on TV but it was noticeable loud at the start and then like a library for the last 30mins, really odd as I’d have thought they’d be more happiness and celebration at the scoreboard and dominance. Really noticeable was the amount of empty seats for the last 10-5mins of the game, which I think it such a shame for the players who put in a perfect shift (cue abuse from people who went calling me an armchair fan).

Not so sure about no injuries Buonanotte was needing treatment at FT and limped off
Yes, might be the South American in him but he was wriggling around in pain, would be gutted for him especially as he’d be the biggest gainer from the March injury.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Anyone know where I can get individual player stats from last night. I thought that Ajax goalie was woeful with poor distribution. Ajax mate reckons he was good ?!?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Anyone know where I can get individual player stats from last night. I thought that Ajax goalie was woeful with poor distribution. Ajax mate reckons he was good ?!?
Sofascore:

Attachments

• 04051A6D-90B0-4721-B5B5-D04CFBA63FB9.png
    04051A6D-90B0-4721-B5B5-D04CFBA63FB9.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 69

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
76.6% pass completion vs Steele 94.3%. Loads of detail here :

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I feel sorry for those moaning about the atmosphere, especially those who moan and are actually in the stadium watching the game. As far as I'm concerned, every match is bouncing at the back of the North, even if the rest of the stadium don't get to experience the emotions back there.

Well.... tough shit, you want an atmosphere in the ground? Then why don't you try creating one yourself rather than expecting the smallest stand to generate all the noise to improve YOUR experience of the occasion. Feels a bit selfish to me if you're one of those who are too cool to chant, but moan that there's no noise in the ground.

If you feel there's no atmosphere, then this is your problem and it can be fixed easily by you joining in... and who cares if no one else around you is chanting... why does that matter, you keep going if you're a supporter... right?

Stop making it the NS responsibility to create the atmosphere YOU would like to experience, and realise that you also have a responsibility to contribute, wherever you may be sitting.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Atmosphere was ok. Not as good as AEK (and fewer fans out in town early on) but better than many league games.

What was rubbish was the scarf thing (sorry @ozzygull ) which just seemed to be for one go at Ring of Fire 10 mins before kick off.

I don’t do colours but whipped out an elderly scarf which, given the unseasonably warm evening, just made my neck sweat.
ok but there is a saying “you can take a horse to water but can’t make it drink”

People were asked to hold them above their head when team came out, only some did.

Anyhow, I was pleased with the number that people took and the twirling still looked good,

We won, kept a clean sheet, so for me it’s scarves 1 flags 0

Last edited:

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
ok but their is a saying “you can a horse to water but can’t make it drink”

People were asked to hold them above their head when team came out, only some did.

Anyhow, I was pleased with the number that people took and the twirling still looked good,

I saw many raised scarfs during GOSBTS which was nice! And it kept me warm as well, so that was a bonus (y)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
ok but there is a saying “you can a horse to water but can’t make it drink”

100% better than FLAGS for that exact reason. I don't think we've ever won on a flag day / night?

But maybe next time, given climate change, let's wait until FEBRUARY.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The early departures have been discussed many times. Those 5 minutes make the difference between getting a train or P and R bus relatively quickly, or having to queue up for sometimes an hour or more. For night games, that’s even less fun than it is on rainy, wintry afternoons. It’s bad enough getting to Eastbourne but plenty of match-goers live in London or much further afield. You might want to think about the many additional hours these people spend on matchdays before smugly accusing them of being "tinpot". I admire anyone who travels these distances to attend the Amex, and frankly I wouldn’t do it myself. It's a great shame that people have to do it, but I don’t blame anyone for leaving early.
I left after the team left the pitch, got home at 1:30 this morning, that was my choice. I understand there are lots of people where that is unacceptable. The Amex is a ball ache to get away from after a match and that is never going to change.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I feel sorry for those moaning about the atmosphere, especially those who moan and are actually in the stadium watching the game. As far as I'm concerned, every match is bouncing at the back of the North, even if the rest of the stadium don't get to experience the emotions back there.

Well.... tough shit, you want an atmosphere in the ground? Then why don't you try creating one yourself rather than expecting the smallest stand to generate all the noise to improve YOUR experience of the occasion. Feels a bit selfish to me if you're one of those who are too cool to chant, but moan that there's no noise in the ground.

If you feel there's no atmosphere, then this is your problem and it can be fixed easily by you joining in... and who cares if no one else around you is chanting... why does that matter, you keep going if you're a supporter... right?

Stop making it the NS responsibility to create the atmosphere YOU would like to experience, and realise that you also have a responsibility to contribute, wherever you may be sitting.
I'm not sure about all of that. I'm in the FS and not really arsed about the noise created. It just makes me laugh that what is meant to be the noisiest part of the ground isn't really all *that* noisy (and got done for volume - if not amount - of noise by a relative handful of away fans last night). They also then have the temerity to moan about fans in other areas not making any noise :shrug:

The acoustics don't help, because it might sound noisy IN the north, very often that sound doesn't travel. The chants also seem to tail off about 10 minutes in, unless there's a goal and then there's a bit more momentum for a while.

One thing's for sure - it's a debate that has been going on since the Amex opened it's doors and will probably continue forever!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
100% better than FLAGS for that exact reason. I don't think we've ever won on a flag day / night?

But maybe next time, given climate change, let's wait until FEBRUARY.
Bring back CLACKERS!

Or give everyone rattles, like the fella in the NS, whose one sounded like it was on its last legs last night :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agree with a lot of what’s being said on here.

Thought those RB looked amazing keeping Mitoma at bay, great battle out there, sign him up.

Would love to know how many passes we strung together before Pedros goal, I think it’ll be more than the Man U team wonder goal.

One thing people aren’t talking about much is how amazing the Fati goal was, the movements and pass from Adingra was absolutely magical and the run, first touch, and quick shot from Fati was genius.

Regarding atmosphere, I only watched on TV but it was noticeable loud at the start and then like a library for the last 30mins, really odd as I’d have thought they’d be more happiness and celebration at the scoreboard and dominance. Really noticeable was the amount of empty seats for the last 10-5mins of the game, which I think it such a shame for the players who put in a perfect shift (cue abuse from people who went calling me an armchair fan).

Yes, might be the South American in him but he was wriggling around in pain, would be gutted for him especially as he’d be the biggest gainer from the March injury.
Empty seats left by oldies like me, who despite taking painkillers, found the damp cold night air was making the arthritis hurt, and didn’t want to queue for ages for a bus to the P&R.

No abuse from me, but be thankful you were able to enjoy the game from the comfort of your warm comfortable armchair. Some of us made the effort to go, and endure pain whilst making the effort.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I gue
Atmosphere was ok. Not as good as AEK (and fewer fans out in town early on) but better than many league games.

What was rubbish was the scarf thing (sorry @ozzygull ) which just seemed to be for one go at Ring of Fire 10 mins before kick off.

I don’t do colours but whipped out an elderly scarf which, given the unseasonably warm evening, just made my neck sweat.
"Rubbish" in the eye of the beholder of course ha ha but imo the scarf twirling looked pretty good from my high up vantage of the whole stadium (North, West, bottom of East) . And certainly more than just one song. Ring of Fire/Freed from Desire was played post match too and the scarves had another decent display then and there was some ad hoc twirling in the match itself especially towards the end when the result was sealed. Also unusually scarves on show for GOSBTS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports