[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AFC Ajax *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Historic win tonight goes down in club history - 1st win in Europe. No BHA player had a bad game. The Ajax no. 3 was excellent. The 1st player in a very long time that matched up to Mitoma. We kept their fans quiet most of the game. Solid performance tonight.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
This may have already been covered but how come we’re 3rd in the group, bearing in mind we have equal points with AEK but better goal difference?
AEK beat us so as things stand, have the better 'head to head' record which ranks ahead of GD.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
There was a lovely passage of play towards the end where we strung pass after pass together. It was majestic.
It felt like we had the ball for about 10 minutes without an Ajax player getting a sniff of the ball. It was truly a masterclass in game management and possibly overlooked as to how important that passage of play was.
It completely demoralised the Ajax players and REALLY pissed off the Ajax fans.
Absolutely MARVELLOUS SCENES!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Love the fact that loads of posters seemingly know better than RDZ when it comes to Milner. Yes, he had a bad game, but he's obviously starting (if that's correct) for a reason.

I hope he plays a blinder.
Nice one James :thumbsup:

Great interview after the game - his European experience could be invaluable to the squad.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Great all round performance. Thought we looked surprisingly fresh after last weekend. Mitoma’s best performance for a while. Defence was solid. Gilmour was great. Pleased for Milner after his last performance.
For someone of my age who’s experienced more crap seasons than good, tonight was somewhat surreal.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
What a night. The only English side with more authentic ‘champions of Europe’ titles than Ajax is Liverpool.

We humbled them. I don’t think the history books will remember how poor this Ajax side are but they’ll simply point out that little old Brighton got it’s first ever European win over the mighty Ajax.

History in the making.

How incredibly lucky we were to witness this.

We were always in control.

Where does the future take us now? Qualifying from this group would be absolutely astonishing…….I think we can do it. In RDZ we trust.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What a fantastic evening, we looked pretty comfortable for the entire 90 minutes and got our first clean sheet in god knows how long.

Personally the evening has lost a bit of its gloss due to the absolute shower that are Thameslink trains. Just as for the AEK game, 2 trains home from Brighton have been cancelled (due to no driver being available), meaning my next train home isn’t until midnight and I won’t get home til 3am. Oh well, at least I’m not as wet as last time.
Just got in. My 80 mile drive went up to 90 due to random road closures.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Gross did a Cruyff turn against Ajax in the Europa League.

I can't believe I just said that.
He did a few.

Possibly annoyed that Mitoma beat him to it.

And then Jason Steele completed the hat-trick.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What a surreal night. No stress, no drama and never looked like anything other than a comfortable victory over one of Europe’s historically significant clubs. Brighton played Ajax off the park. Bloody hell.
True but if that goes in rather than the post we might have had a different last 20 mins also if Fati makes it 3 then I reckon they cave in... small margins

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What a night. The only English side with more authentic ‘champions of Europe’ titles than Ajax is Liverpool.

We humbled them. I don’t think the history books will remember how poor this Ajax side are but they’ll simply point out that little old Brighton got it’s first ever European win over the mighty Ajax.

History in the making.

How incredibly lucky we were to witness this.

We were always in control.

Where does the future take us now? Qualifying from this group would be absolutely astonishing…….I think we can do it. In RDZ we trust.
This, still buzzing, such a night.
i just sent my auntie a photo I took of the scoreboard with the tribute to Gerry Ryan to my auntie who’s husband (uncle Bob) took me to my first Albion game Who sadly passed away earlier this year. Telling her Bob was looking down, watching Brighton beat Ajax, unbelievable.
he loved Gerry.
I was there with my daughter generation 4 watching the Albion, even though she was born in Camden

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Great result no injuries and being played at training pace is good news for the next game coming in quick successio.

Dunk, Milner, Mitoma, Pedro and Grob all played well in fact no one played badly.

But North Stand what’s up a few rounds of Albion Albion , SBTS, Dunky one of our own apart from that you were so quiet surely you choosing to sit in the north stand is because you wanted to be part of the singing section the atmosphere makers but your not why?

What’s the problem is it the stadium design, is the north stand no longer the Brighton end from what I can remember the north stand at the Goldstone was a living breathing powerhouse a wall of noise and scarves, the last 20 minutes of any game the north stand really were the 12th man

In my opinion our away support is so much more vocal where NSK have more influence how can we get that atmosphere and noise at our home games
Not so sure about no injuries Buonanotte was needing treatment at FT and limped off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports