Kick-off: 20:00 BST
Referee: Bartosz Frankowski 🇵🇱
Assistants: Marcin Boniek 🇵🇱, Jakub Winkler 🇵🇱
Fourth Official: Patryk Gryckiewicz 🇵🇱
VAR: Piotr Lasyk 🇵🇱
Additional VAR: Massimiliano Irrati 🇮🇹
UEFA Referee Observer: Lucílio Cardoso Cortez Batista 🇵🇹
UEFA Delegate: Alojzije Šupraha 🇭🇷

Brighton & Hove Albion boss Robert de Zerbi believes Ajax's rich European history means they have to be wary of the Dutch side - but says his team can win if they are at their best.

The sides meet at Amex Stadium on Thursday in Europa League Group B.

Ajax have won numerous European trophies but have had a poor start to the season and coach Maurice Steijn left this week by mutual consent.

"Ajax are in not a very good moment but they are still Ajax," said De Zerbi.

"The history of the club is incredible and unbelievable, and we expect a lot from them.

"But we are Brighton and when we play in a good way, what we're able to do, I think we have a chance to win the game."

Brighton have picked up just one point from their two Europa League games so far and their cause has not been helped by injuries to Solly March and Danny Welbeck.

Winger March has a knee injury while striker Welbeck has a muscle issue.

The duo join Julio Enciso, Jakub Moder, Pervis Estupinan and Tariq Lamptey as the latest long-term casualties for the Seagulls.

Roberto De Zerbi and Joel Veltman's Ajax Press Conference

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It’s spookily quite in Brighton this morning, don’t forget your scarf and mittens tonight folks.

let’s hope we do ourselves justice tonight, like we did in the second half in Marseille.

UTA

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Looking forward to this game. Hopefully will be a great atmosphere and more importantly 3 points. Line up will be interesting but expect Igor at left back

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Never mind that we want to win, tonight we need to win if we hope to progress I the Europa League. I know it’s Ajax but they haven’t got Cruyf anymore so we have to go for it with best team RDZ can cobble together.
It is a good time to play them when they are on a bad run , so ….. Ajax ? Let’s take ‘em to the cleaners :albion2:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Looking forward to this game. Hopefully will be a great atmosphere and more importantly 3 points. Line up will be interesting but expect Igor at left back
Let’s not get stage fright like we did against Athens. Ajax are there for the taking but we need to play well. Another Athens style performance and we could easily lose or draw.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Let’s not get stage fright like we did against Athens. Ajax are there for the taking but we need to play well. Another Athens style performance and we could easily lose or draw.
I'm confident we won't get stage fright tonight following the 2nd half marseille performance. We're settling into the Europa League now (hopefully) - I expect us to come out of the traps strongly tonight knowing we really need a win

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Feels like a very low key build up so far from both teams for what is a big game. Both nervous after poor runs of form. Really feel like them having a caretaker manager for this game is bad for us as he is indicating he will go ultra defensive (which is very unajax like)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports