[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AEK Athens *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
They have been extremely good at totally disrupting our normal fluent moves and not letting us settle at all. This is more down to them than us playing badly.
I think that too. Plus us missing Dunk at the back. I wouldnt say it's quite the same as West ham - they haven't quite sat back as much - they've successfully disrupted our play in the middle of the park a lot

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Very impressed with AEK. We should sign Amrabat.
Their first goal was shocking. He was unmarked. I'd have to see it again but I think Mitoma was at fault for not picking him up.
Pedro is a real gem. Better than Fati.
Igor looks a find. He looks like he's played there for years.
But our midfield is getting bypassed. I can't work out why.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Van Hecke either looks world class as he did vs United and Newcastle or non league as he does tonight. Hopefully he will relax second half.

March off for Adingra would be my change and Milner for an actual right back. I am not having him there.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Their first goal was shocking. He was unmarked. I'd have to see it again but I think Mitoma was at fault for not picking him up.
Mitoma was sleeping. It was really really poor.

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
Because we have no pace there and very little aggression. Milner and Gross being on the same side means we can get ran through quite easily

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There's been times where I've been at games, thought it was great atmosphere, come on here and folk watching on telly moaning that the atmosphere was poor. I'm up north so couldn't go tonight but I can't believe how quiet it's sounded considering it's our first ever European game etc. But then now I'm the one watching on telly and criticising- maybe it's actually half decent at the game?
Commentator said the atmosphere was excellent. I think the TV mikes are too far to to the south!

3-3 is my prediction.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
No time for a proper detailed analysis but in short they drop, which allows our centre backs to have the ball mid way into their half. Passing lanes are cut by their forwards and the midfielders and defenders go man to man. In short, they’ve done their homework and are letting our defenders have the ball higher up, rather than Gilmour/Groß, then do us quickly down the sides on the break.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
We can't defend but are mostly immense with the ball and in attack. Over a season, in the league, we will do very well. Cup games- just depends doesn't it? If we have one of those games too often we are going to struggle.
we are definitely missing dunk’s coordination at the back. it’s been all over the shop. this is going to be one of those “we just need to score more than them” type games. and if we do that too much, we won’t go very far in this competition. and that’s okay, we’re obviously very happy to be here, but if we do want to compete, which i imagine RDZ does, then it needs addressing. defence has to be the area we spend on next. there just isn’t enough pace

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I can't tell if Igor has been at fault defensively for any of the goals, but he is absolutely Rolls Royce bringing the ball out of defence into midfield.
Agree, love those passes at 90 degrees across his body, very confident on the ball too. Reckon he's got a couple of howlers in him though across the season :lol:

Fati is clearly a very good player, but a bit quiet tonight. Not quite linked up with the rest of our attackers.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Another level isn’t he?! Frighteningly good.

Need to get him some support second half, very much felt like a one man attack that half.
You are watching a different game to me. He’s been awful. Given it away so many times with these ludicrous flicks

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Veltman in for Milner so we actually have a proper RB on the pitch, Fati has been poor.
We've been too slow, Athens are closing us down quickly.
I hope we wake up a bit as we had moments when we looked like we were going to batter them.
to be fair, i don’t really know why veltman didn’t start tonight. obviously RDZ has his reasons but aside from milner he has the most european experience in our squad.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Pedro needs to give up on those fancy flicks. At least 3x have given the ball away.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I must be watching a different game because I thought we'd played some decent stuff. Maybe a bit naive for the goals - and they are disrupting the normal flow - but it's not horrendous.

I'm just enjoying the evening 👍🏼

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports