Brighton & Hove Albion v Walsall Official Match Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
MM and MA would have just come up with a random excuse. RS at least will say he made a mistake.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
OK, well, I'm reasonably happy with the 2nd half performance - missed what RS had to say on the radio as my radio ran out of batteries. Looks like we need to gel a bit more and to be fair Walsall were a bit lucky, on any other day that woulda been a 0-0 bore draw. 1st half we kept lumping it up to Dickenson and spent too long arsing around passing it sideways but 2nd half was very promising.

Onwards and upwards!

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Please don't reveal the result! - I'm "watching" ESPNsoccernet Gamecast so-called live commentary, but it has been about half an hour delayed all afternoon.

Just now reached 68th minute, showing we have had 4 shots in second half so far, Walsall none, so maybe a goal for us anytime soon? Keep the faith!!!

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/gamecast?id=268653&league=ENG.3&cc=5739

The last 20 minutes are better than the first 20.

How right you are now finally revealed on Gamecast - worth waiting for.

Bringing Nicky Forster on seems to have changed the balance greatly in favour of us. Walsall pressured into getting 3 yellow cards, and restricted to just 2 shots in 2nd half. We seemed to have been queueing up for shots on goal - Mark Wright (53), Nicky Forster (63), Liam Dickinson (65)(66), Tommy Elphick (90+), Andrew Crofts (90+)

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
The result most of all was very frustrating as i think Walsall will really struggle this year as i dont think really have anything, they just organised team, they didnt really look any danger at all.
Thought Slade got that totally wrong yesterday playing 4-5-1 vs a average team (who we need to beat if playoffs a aim) as a lot better teams in league than. With 4-5-1 the midfield was too compact and couldnt get the ball to the wingers, what surprised me was we had Murray and Forster on bench, if both was maybe 50-50 to play game, why not play one the first half and then the other second half.
As we looked miles better than Walsall in 2nd half and if we had played 4-4-2 from beginning i believe worst result would have been a draw.
Thought Dickinson played well and Wright the winger, even though some idiot fans in south Stand was saying to get him off (do they know what game of football is about ?)
Dickinson wasnt given much chance in the 1st half with the ball whacked upto him and had to control the ball with 2 centre backs pressuring him and being offered no support by our midfield.
Thought Thornhill was properly the least effective in midfield, but dont understand really why playing Crofts to be honest with you, i would have played Dicker as knows club a bit more and should adapted quicker and introduced Crofts as a sub.
I hope when we do play Dickinson up front we dont just play long balls up front to, as the strength we have this year is on wing's, get the ball out to them and let play some balls into box and tell the forward's to stay in middle and not drift so often to the wing.
Disappointed with the midfield players work rate as didnt move to be given a pass especially in first half, especially as Slade said we would work hard.
Grades for players in my opinion
Kuipers 7 - usual Kuipers, steady
Whing 5 - Not look at his best but is first game
J.Wright 6 - looked tidy player and confident on ball, yes made a mistake by not closing down enough for cross on goal but did play for crappy Crawley last year so expect to make a few errors in game but a good debut.
Elphick 7 - Poor passing put midfielders under pressure sometimes with playing the wrong ball, but played well defensively
Virgo 7 - Solid
Cox 5 - drifted into middle to often and therefore didnt offer option on wing and with his lack of height should avoid going into middle.
Wright 7 - nearly a 8 but poor set pieces and lack of involvement in first half.
Navarro 7 - best of midfield players - but just a tidy up man, do we really need this at home vs a average side ?
Crofts 6 - Average, didnt look ready for this start and not really a danger either, i hope doesnt start to often as no way we will get into playoffs with a central midfielder like him playing 30 plus starts, good squad player but not regular starter please
Thornhill 5 - offered nothing - very disappointing.
Dickinson 8 (Man of match)- Felt sorry for in first half, low on confidence and told to play up front on own with no support, but 2nd half made 2 chances on his own, with some support eg 4-4-2 will be a big player for us. - should never taken off
Subs
Mcleod - 5 - poor crossing - something about this guy just doesnt perform when plays at Withdean but i do believe he has natural talent and could be a big player for us
Murray 4 - Get rid of, obviousally doesnt want to be here so lets move on
Forster 7 - Very good game and obviousally still going to be a big player for us this season

Slade 5 - poor tactics in first half which i think is reason we lost the game.
Potential of signings - 7 - i think over time could be good but still need a attacking midfielder who likes to play through balls to centre forwards

Ps wasps - 9 - they put in a awesome performance causing problems all game.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
i was only b fan who predicted a walsall win...were just not good enough...

My missus did. I went for 1-0 Brighton, she got the correct score. Paid for her new pink shirt. Shame it was my stake money!

Ps wasps - 9 - they put in a awesome performance causing problems all game.

spot on. Where did the little buggers come from, and was it just the South stand, C section that was under attack?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports