Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***Brighton & Hove Albion v Colchester United***OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD***

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I agree that the GK /defence issue needs to be sorted but thıs ıs a new administration... beginnign of Jan if we ahvent put soerm points int he bag then defence is where changes will be needed.

I think the back four is already a given. I'm not convinced he will be able to do anything about it in January, not with the quality required to get us winning games consistently, which is what we will need by then.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It's not quite as simple as that. Colchester would have been happy to defend for 45 minutes tonight having taken a 2 goal lead.

This team is not good enough - PERIOD. Gus will realise that, but I fear that he may not be able to do anything about in January, and by the time he can really do something about it in the summer, we will be in League 2. That's not being defeatist or alarmist, the facts speak for themselves.

It'll be interesting to hear what the supporters at the ground make of tonights match.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Overall 13 shots, 7 on goal by us, to 9/5 Colchester.

Crofts, Cox, Elphick, Navarro, and Dicker (GOAL!) 1 each, Bennett 2, Murray, Foz 3.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
Because business is not easily done in January - nobody necessarily wants to part with players, certainly not at the start of Jan when we need it (let's face it, we need it now), and the quality we require may not be available until the summer, certainly not at the price we can afford.

If bloom is serious about getting sucuss then he needs to get the cheque book out

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
If bloom is serious about getting sucuss then he needs to get the cheque book out

But that's my point - It's not as easy as just 'getting the cheque book out'. However much we might be in a better position as a club now, it doesn't mean we are in a position to go and pay stupid money for players, however good they might be, and however much they might improve us.

And January is an even worse time than the summer to try and make that happen.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I facking hate Withdean, we are completely useless there. Away games only for me until Falmer

.....unless we get a Premiershit team at home in Round 4 of the cup!

Last edited:

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
But that's my point - It's not as easy as just 'getting the cheque book out'. However much we might be in a better position as a club now, it doesn't mean we are in a position to go and pay stupid money for players, however good they might be, and however much they might improve us.

And January is an even worse time than the summer to try and make that happen.

A valid point, but imo that is what is needed to get us moving, if we do go down will we come straight back up again? look at Bradford

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
A valid point, but imo that is what is needed to get us moving, if we do go down will we come straight back up again? look at Bradford

Mmm, slightly different scenario, they'd dropped like a stone out of the Premier League, and financial shit meant they kept going downwards. (£50,000 a week on Benito Carbone didn't help).

Besides - for every Bradford, there's a Gillingham or Charlton this season. And I agree the side needs some serious changing around - AGAIN - but January is not usually the time to do it and make it work. I hope I'm wrong, I really really do, but I fear for us more this season than I did last.

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
Mmm, slightly different scenario, they'd dropped like a stone out of the Premier League, and financial shit meant they kept going downwards. (£50,000 a week on Benito Carbone didn't help).

Besides - for every Bradford, there's a Gillingham or Charlton this season. And I agree the side needs some serious changing around - AGAIN - but January is not usually the time to do it and make it work. I hope I'm wrong, I really really do, but I fear for us more this season than I did last.

yes i'm concerned to, same mistakes still happening and no sign of them getting stamped out

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
The 'diamond' formation is simply not working, is it? We always seem to be caught one man short when the opposition attack us down the flanks, albeit much better when McNulty came on, we're still allowing them relatively comfortable, easy crosses into our box which at the moment we seem incapable of defending. I noticed this at Exeter and we were extremely fortunate that they seemed unable to convert their possession into chances, although I suppose some of the credit therefore must go to our defence.

Going forward is just as bad however, although once again McNulty seemed to be a huge positive influence on our attacking wing play. However, there is such a blatant imbalance with the way Bennett instinctively goes wide right, meaning that our play is far too often limited to the right hand side, which after about twenty minutes, opposition sides have noted. Navarro was useless again tonight, as he was on Saturday. I just cannot understand the logic of him being in the team when all we need to do is drop him and just find someone who can do a standard job on the left wing. I personally would put Dickinson there after the last two games, he seems to well chasing down the ball and is capable of delivering a dangerous cross. I sympathise with Poyet, I really do, and I hope we firstly look for a left winger in the transfer window, but until then the diamond needs to be dropped with three important games still to play before it re-opens!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here