Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion Player of the Season 1996/97

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure Maskell missed a penalty at Fulham that season that was hit so weakly that it wouldn't have hit the net if the keeper hadn't saved it. It vies with Harley at 'Wall and Ulloa last weekend for the Worst Albion Pen Ever title. So I couldn't vote for him.

Storer it is.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeah Storer would surely have got it that season.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
George Parris? Kerry Mayo.

What was the general starting 11?

xxd3.jpg

m49w.jpg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Is it possible to vote for the bloke at the Football League who decided that for that season, goals scored would take precedence over goal difference?

Otherwise, I always thought that Ian Baird was a key player in providing the fight that we needed in that season.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Has everyone forgotten how hated Maskell was at the time? He was the Ashley Barnes of his time, most fans thought he was completely useless. There's no way on earth he would have won player of the year!

Minton was our most consistent performer, but it would have to be Stuart Storer. Decent player, very popular with the fans, and scored the last ever goal at the Goldstone.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Has everyone forgotten how hated Maskell was at the time? He was the Ashley Barnes of his time, most fans thought he was completely useless. There's no way on earth he would have won player of the year!

Minton was our most consistent performer, but it would have to be Stuart Storer. Decent player, very popular with the fans, and scored the last ever goal at the Goldstone.

The last ever goal thing wouldn't have counted though, as the vote would have been prior to that game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's interesting to look at that league table, with FIVE current Premier League teams in there

FOUR shirley???

The attendances are interesting too. I always had it in my head that Fans Utd was the biggest except Donny but clearly not true. Meanwhile how did Birmingham pull in 20,000 for a League Cup game against us? They wouldn't get that against us in the league these days.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
FOUR shirley???

The attendances are interesting too. I always had it in my head that Fans Utd was the biggest except Donny but clearly not true. Meanwhile how did Birmingham pull in 20,000 for a League Cup game against us? They wouldn't get that against us in the league these days.

YES, I'm going MAD

Sorry

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
FOUR shirley???

SECOND highest average going into the Donny game

*stats compiled by Andy Schofield and Richard Betts of the Varndean School Soccer Statistics Unit

snlc.jpg

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
He only made 10 appearances but for me John Humphrey was a cut above anything we had at the time. Classy right back at that level.

But player of the season I would have given to Minton

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Pretty much every game that season all I remember hearing people in the north stand shout was 'give it to storer!!' He'd blast down the wing and Baird or maskell would knock it in. Given he scored 'that' goal as well it has to be storer

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He only made 10 appearances but for me John Humphrey was a cut above anything we had at the time. Classy right back at that level.

But player of the season I would have given to Minton

Minton missed 30 consecutive games through injury and played in only half the games through the season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Maskell made the goal at Hereford. He could have done at Gordon Smith. He curled around the keeper to hit the post.

aberdare seagull

Feb 28, 2014
south wales
having watched every game in a drunken stupor its hard to say. so ill just go for robbie reinelt purely for the fact we had the greatest party travelling back from hereford that day/night

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Maskell made the goal at Hereford. He could have done at Gordon Smith. He curled around the keeper to hit the post.

And your point is...?!

I'm also failing to grasp the connection between a player missing a virtual open goal and one hitting the post from 25 yards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here