Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion - currently the 10th best team in the WORLD

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Funny how the list doesn't include clubs - from non-European countries - which often win the club world championship, or often won the old pay-offs between the European champions anfd the South America champions - hence the list seems very much slanted towards European clubs, which is why I don't regard it as global as it claims to be!
It does include teams outside of Europe but you have to go quite a way down the list to find them. The World Club Championship has been won by European teams since 2013. The last South American winners were Corinthians in 2012.

As it’s meant to be ranking current teams there is very limited (possibly none in fact) historical weighting in how they rank sides. What happened even a couple of years ago is almost irrelevant as far as this list is concerned.

None of these lists are scientifically perfect, it’s almost impossible to create one that is for football, but most of them have us well within the top 20 so there is a general consensus that we are one of the best teams in the world right now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It does include teams outside of Europe but you have to go quite a way down the list to find them. The World Club Championship has been won by European teams since 2013. The last South American winners were Corinthians in 2012.

As it’s meant to be ranking current teams there is very limited (possibly none in fact) historical weighting in how they rank sides. What happened even a couple of years ago is almost irrelevant as far as this list is concerned.

None of these lists are scientifically perfect, it’s almost impossible to create one that is for football, but most of them have us well within the top 20 so there is a general consensus that we are one of the best teams in the world right now.
Fairy nuff - I guessed there were SA clubs further down, just feel the algorithms used must be heavily skewed in favour of the big European leagues.. You're right about the FIFA club WC - I had in mind some other club tournament, played quite recently, which I think was won by an Arab nation club - or they were in the final anyway. Thought that was a club WC - but obviously not!
Never mind - this ain't a hill I want to die on!
:thumbsup:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Real Madrid have been really, really poor lately. They battered Liverpool 5-2 but they lost 1-0 to Barca in the Copa Del Rey, barely scoring goals in the league currently and a long way behind Barcelona in the table. There is very little value in this graph but it would be hard to argue we aren't currently top 20 and we've got a real chance in the final stretch of this season to do something extraordinary this season.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Fairy nuff - I guessed there were SA clubs further down, just feel the algorithms used must be heavily skewed in favour of the big European leagues.. You're right about the FIFA club WC - I had in mind some other club tournament, played quite recently, which I think was won by an Arab nation club - or they were in the final anyway. Thought that was a club WC - but obviously not!
Never mind - this ain't a hill I want to die on!
:thumbsup:
Al Hilal (Saudi Arabia) did make the final of the most recent World Club Cup held last year. They beat Flamengo in the semi finals, lost to Real Madrid in the final. It could be that you are thinking of.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I believe that we, Brighton & Hove Albion, are probably playing the best football of any team in the world right now.

There are obviously teams with stronger individual players and stronger team performances, all factors considered, but we are playing "the best football" of any side on the planet.
I get ridiculed on Facebook by my non-BHA supporting chums when I make such claims, but I have to say this is probably not far from the truth.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted

...up to 9th following Leipzig's trashing last night

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here