Brighton Hospital

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Some parts of the site are great, others are terrible. The tower block, millennium wing and cancer centre are all ok but the Barry building and Jubilee building on eastern road are terrible, I've done work all over that site as we had the contract in my old job installing the IT infrastructure.

The problem is that the site is too confined and just too small to fit a modern well equipped hospital on, the re build that is supposed to be happening looks all well and good but there is just no room for expansion in the future unless more storeys are put on buildings. What really needs to happen is to find a new site on the outskirts of town where there is the space to build.

The staff there are fantastic and always do their utmost to help people, they are a credit to Brighton and the NHS, considering some of the buildings they work in they all needs medals.

I do believe that at one stage that was mooted as a possibility and a site was identified. The site's not available now unfortunately as someone's only gone and built a bloody great football stadium there.

My daugther had to visit the Brighton childrens hospital back in 2006, it was an old victorian looking building, the staff were great in there and I could not fault theM one bit. I think it has since closed and moved to a new hospital in Brighton.

Oldest daughter Potting was in the fab new Childrens hospital overnight just over a year ago with suspected appendicitis (it wasn't). Couldn't fault it on any level, all staff from cleaner upward were friendly and did a grand job and to top it all she had sole use of a 4 bed ward on around the 5th floor with a panoramic picture window view over the Channel from the Marina to the Pier.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Presumably the renovation of the RSCH will include the helipad. You need one to be a major trauma centre. Half the multistorey car park at at Southampton General is now a helipad for that very reason.

Kings is at Denmark Hill btw :)

They are adding a few floors to the tower block and plonking it on there with a 'high speed lift' down into A+E.
[MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] I find it a uplifting fun place to work with a good team atmosphere and gaining enjoyment from seeing the unwell become well. Of course not all days are good but no worse than any other job. That said I don't work in the Barry Building which is a dive unfit for a hospital.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
This hospital (The Royal Sussex County Hospital) is HUGE. Was your friend just attending one department for an appointment or did he have a bed for a time?
Turns out it was his girlfriend who was admitted due to complications after an operation, he was just stating he saw during the early hours of yesterday morning and during the day, I think he is making stories as not much of what he told me was over believable....

Cheers for all your replies, and good to hear all the good things that you have experienced from you local Hospital. :thumbsup:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Turns out it was his girlfriend who was admitted due to complications after an operation, he was just stating he saw during the early hours of yesterday morning

If he was in A&E in the early hours then I'm not surprised he met a load of people he would call "odd" that is the time of day you meet the oddballs in Brighton and A&E is the place where they all congregate after their various incidents. And I've seen some weird people there.... And not just in the early hours, also at 8am when they're still kicking about coming down after whatever it was they're were on.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The staff at the RSCH did a fantastic job of looking after me and patching me up after my lung spontaneously collapsed.

I don't have a bad word to say for them or it.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I think he is making his stories up, won't be the 1st time or the last, apparently its full of drunks,drug addicts, lunatics and gays, not my words his.

I switched off after 10 minutes of hearing about it....

When I visited A & E last August having been referred by my doctor, I would say there were a few drunks in the waiting room.

One idiot had come off his bike whilst drunk and his head was bleeding. He kept taking off his temporary dressing the paramedics had put on and blood
was running all down him. He tried to touch my wife's arm to get her attention and blood was dripping off his hand. Soon gave him a b******ing.
There was also a loony bird who had been arrested and told police she had taken an overdose so her and two coppers were in the waiting room.
Apparently, according to the 2 police women she was always doing this. Made me smile, when the cops shift changed and 2 burly male cops took over
they soon took her back to the police station.
Probably were some drug addicts but why he mentioned gays have no idea.

Think all A & E's across the country have the same cross section of patients.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Kings is at Denmark Hill btw :)

I don't know why I couldn't remember that. Been there a few times (for work). I can find my way there, I just couldn't remember where it IS. Which makes perfect sense.

Takes them, what, a couple of minutes from East Brighton Park to the RSCH, but when every second counts...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
In reply to the OP. yes. no. Not as bad as Maydie. At least in terms of deaths.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If he was in A&E in the early hours then I'm not surprised he met a load of people he would call "odd" that is the time of day you meet the oddballs in Brighton and A&E is the place where they all congregate after their various incidents. And I've seen some weird people there.... And not just in the early hours, also at 8am when they're still kicking about coming down after whatever it was they're were on.

It's like any A&E in any city in the UK. If you were to paint a portrait of a stereotypical waiting room- let's call it a Friday night one- you'd need a significant number of people who've drunk too much and fallen over, or got into fights, or just collapsed into unconsciousness from the sheer quantity of alcohol. A couple of homeless street drinker types who just want somewhere to sit, out of the cold, even more so at night. A fair few people with injuries that really don't need to be in A&E (ie could go to their GP or an NHS walk-in centre). A few frail old people who've suffered falls, usually sitting quietly in the corner, not wanting to make a fuss. At least one or two suffering from mental health issues, or who have taken an overdose of paracetamol, or both.

It's never going to be a cheery place, but it's no different in Brighton than in Croydon. Brighton is no better or worse.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
The Royal Sussex county was were I was born and is a bloody brilliant hospital.
The old Brighton general hospital up on race hill was horrible. Went up there loads before my nan and grandad passed on, it was totally run down and my wife found cockroaches in the toilet there. The place also had a bleak past as it was an old Victorian workhouse.
I'm kind of pleased the place was levelled for housing

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Royal Sussex county was were I was born and is a bloody brilliant hospital.
The old Brighton general hospital up on race hill was horrible. Went up there loads before my nan and grandad passed on, it was totally run down and my wife found cockroaches in the toilet there. The place also had a bleak past as it was an old Victorian workhouse.
I'm kind of pleased the place was levelled for housing

Last time I looked, it was still there?

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Edna is right. the General is still there. it is only the library and nurses accommodation blocks that have been redeveloped.

Just to add the front of the General is listed, and likewise one wall and set of windows in the chapel at the RSCH. The talk is that the chapel will be taken down in a sympathetic manor, and reconstructed in the new buildings.

Work is currently starting for decanting admin staff into St. Mary's Hall. The RSCH now owns that site, but it needs quite radical work, and I believe much more than most thought.

As I posted earlier, there is a You Tube video showing some of the outlines of the new development.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
TWO THINGS !
1. NHS is treatment is free

2. If its that bad, then when he gets chest pains tell him to drive to a "better" hospital !!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was up there today - every time I go there I wonder how a hospital can have a set of steps as dangerous as the ones at the back, up towards the car-park, next to the Alex coffee shop - they're difficult to climb for an able-bodied person, and very steep. Loads of people must have fallen down there. Today they were icy !

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm glad lots of people have had a good experience there, the way my elderly mother in law has been treated since her fairly major (scheduled) op two weeks ago has border on incompetence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports