Brighton Hospital

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Yup, that was a ****ing steal. Those places will go for big money. Not sure if the building is remaining though? Isn't it coming down

Sorry 149 flats was denied as a proposal as they said it would be to large, the original building isnt protected due to later alterations but it still needs to be incorporated into new designs for the site as it's a significent Brighton land mark!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can't fault the medical staff. Many of the managers are morons though and it's in completely the wrong place with too much squeezed into a small space.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I've always received good care at the royal Sussex, but it does need improvements structurally and in terms of staffing. It is due to have construction work soon to improve the infrastructure and I think they're going to be updating the A&E to become a major trauma centre for the south.

Hospitals will always need improvements, medical technology is constantly evolving and should be kept up to date. But it doesn't help it's having a massive shake up and top down re-organisation and yet another layer of bureaucracy to the NHS as a whole...

My best experience was in 2010, march I believe. I had ACL reconstruction in August 2009, and then twisted my knee (all my fault) which tore my meniscus a little more. I popped into my GP who referred me to the orthopaedic centre within a week. I got seen within a week, the doctor looked at my knee, confirmed it was a meniscus tear then said "want surgery today?". I had to decline and ask for a few more days due to college and work.

But I was operated on within 1.5 weeks of seeing my GP, i was incredibly impressed. My knee is doing good today, the odd ache and pain due to weather but this is to be expected as a result of the injury.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Some parts of the site are great, others are terrible. The tower block, millennium wing and cancer centre are all ok but the Barry building and Jubilee building on eastern road are terrible, I've done work all over that site as we had the contract in my old job installing the IT infrastructure.

The problem is that the site is too confined and just too small to fit a modern well equipped hospital on, the re build that is supposed to be happening looks all well and good but there is just no room for expansion in the future unless more storeys are put on buildings. What really needs to happen is to find a new site on the outskirts of town where there is the space to build.

The staff there are fantastic and always do their utmost to help people, they are a credit to Brighton and the NHS, considering some of the buildings they work in they all needs medals.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
There was a small piece on radio Sussex this morning, along the lines of nursing staff saying that conditions are pretty poor.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
A&E have been incredible everytime I have ever been there, wouldnt have a bad word said against the place. as for the people who end up there thats not the hospitals fault.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The conditions are ridiculously outdated and cramped. The building makes me feel tense and stressed, but the staff in have seen have been exceptionally good.

I wouldn't want to work there.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've always received good care at the royal Sussex, but it does need improvements structurally and in terms of staffing. It is due to have construction work soon to improve the infrastructure and I think they're going to be updating the A&E to become a major trauma centre for the south.

The bit about the trauma centre is already in place. People who were hanging by a thread following car accidents and so on used to be routinely airlifted or blue lighted to St Georges in Tooting, or Kings College Hospital (in another ropey part of London- Brixton or Streatham I think). Now they mostly go to the RSCH. If they get airlifted they just clear the footballers off East Brighton Park & land there :thumbsup:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The RSCH is generally a pretty miserable place to be, but then again most hospitals, especially old ones, usually are.

If you want REALLY depressing, try the General up on Elm Grove. It's like being inside a submarine.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
A work colleague of mine has just recently been to Brighton Hospital and said it is the worst hospital he has ever had to visit, is it that bad?

My mother had a cancer op last month and the staff were excellent. My brother at the ripe old age of 42, had a heart attack last Friday and is still with us due to excellent treatment received at the princess royal in haywards Heath and the emergency op at the royal Sussex. He was however not pleased when the surgeon informed him that he couldn't go to palace.
Not a bad word from the Deportivo clan

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
The bit about the trauma centre is already in place. People who were hanging by a thread following car accidents and so on used to be routinely airlifted or blue lighted to St Georges in Tooting, or Kings College Hospital (in another ropey part of London- Brixton or Streatham I think). Now they mostly go to the RSCH. If they get airlifted they just clear the footballers off East Brighton Park & land there :thumbsup:

Presumably the renovation of the RSCH will include the helipad. You need one to be a major trauma centre. Half the multistorey car park at at Southampton General is now a helipad for that very reason.

Kings is at Denmark Hill btw :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports