Brighton History "big club"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wotsit1

Banned
Aug 16, 2011
Ok lets get this right, I keep hearing from people that brighton are a big club, bigger than pompey etc. Yet when i look back at the record books, the history of the club, other than making an FA cup final (runners up), and being in the top flight of english football once from 1901-2011, i just dont understand where this "big club" ego comes from?

I mean no major domestic trophies - yet a "big club"

Future looks bright though, if you can keep poyet, i wish you well.:bigwave:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
You are quite right on the history wotsit. But I think people often look at the potential... and hope!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We have never been a big club, I doubt we ever will be. I'm quite happy with how we are though :thumbsup:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
We have never been a big club, I doubt we ever will be. I'm quite happy with how we are though :thumbsup:
Well we're currently sitting on our best chance of being a "big club" ... if we blow it now , we'll never be one.

as said above , we've had the potential before but just never materialised. Came close mind.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Then of course there are the numerous divisional titles including the Southern League when it was equivalent to the First Division, a couple of play-off finals, and the FACT that we were only the seventh team to win consecutive divisions of the Football League (Champions of both Division 3 and Division 2 at the same time (albeit for 24 hours only) a mere 10 years ago). Yep, no history whatsover...

:glare:

As for a being a "Big Club", that is debatable...

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Not sure we will ever be a big club if you mean the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U etc. but we have always had the potential to be bigger than we have been. Things maybe about to change and realistically we are more likely to be like a Norwich/Ipswich type club which have a county wide appeal and have tasted the top flight both domestic and european but find it hard to sustain due to lack of resources.

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Historically we aren't a big club, but we have the potential to become one. New stadium, money, good players and manager, the nearest league club is Crawley meaning big catchment area, new training complex on the horizon...

We have the potential to be a premier league club - something I never thought I'd say and actually mean it. We'll be in the premier league before Portsmouth get back there

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Big club as in line with who exactly? Chelsea? Man Utd? Liverpool? Arsenal? Or big club as in Bolton? Wigan? Swansea? Norwich? (with respect to those four clubs)

What exactly makes a big club? History? Present? Future aspirations?

Is it measured by ground size? Fan base? Trophies? Spending power? Player pulling power?

Is it a big pot with each ingredient added?

If so, this probably tells me we aren't a big club, and personally I couldn't give a monkey's left gonad if we are big, medium, small or mediocre. So long as we keep with our current aspirations we can be as small as East Preston FC for all I care, cos it matters not a jot. All my personal opinion for the record.

Oct 6, 2010
Not sure who all these people are calling us a big club, bigger than pompey etc? I think most of us have a realistic appreciation of our current stature, and we are quite happy with it. There is alot to be said for supporting a smaller club actually.

Better than pompey for sure though! On and off the pitch.

We even pay our st johns ambulance bill!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Ok lets get this right, I keep hearing from people that brighton are a big club, bigger than pompey etc. Yet when i look back at the record books, the history of the club, other than making an FA cup final (runners up), and being in the top flight of english football once from 1901-2011, i just dont understand where this "big club" ego comes from?

Now we have got up your nose a bit, can you tell us which BIG club you support? :lolol:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We are bigger than Lincoln, Stockport and Hereford and possibley Rotherham. Surley thats makes us a big club

Seagull1967

Aug 8, 2009
Barnsley
What is the definition of a BIG club?

What are the key indicators which puts us in this group?

Which clubs are BIG?

If we can understand this then we will know which direction our club is going in and it could be measurable.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Southampton are easily the biggest club in the South. Then Portsmouth, closely followed by ourselves and Reading.

But in terms of potential and size of support, there isn't much between any of them these days. Southampton, Albion and Reading will all average between 24k-17k this season and Portsmouth would probably be the same if FP was a modest-sized modern stadium. They'll average 14k until next season when there will be 8,000 rattling around Fratton in league one.

As for us, well I'm just glad that our potential is on the way to being realised and we're no longer being talked about in the same breath as small clubs like Bournemouth.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We have the potential to be the biggest team on the South coast with the right management in 5 years we could be the "Fulham" of the south coast :)

Wouldn't we have to win the Prem (or old Div 1 as it was) and FA Cup in order to match our south coast rivals?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
We have the potential to be the biggest team on the South coast with the right management in 5 years we could be the "Fulham" of the south coast :)

Having won the Susex Senior Cup we are the biggest club in Sussex, just Hampshire to take over!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports