Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hibs Albion

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Way back at Withdean didn’t we have some sort of agreement with a team in France, possibly le Harve? What happened to that?

ish, we played a few friendlies over there and I think it had something to do with the INFLUX of flair Frenchmen that came over in that period. David Martot (who was shit) was signed on loan from Le Havre and Alexis Bertin was signed on a short term permanent deal also from Le Havre. But Chaigneau was from Rennes, Carole from Monaco and Frutos from Metz....maybe Le Havre recommended us to those players but there wasn't any concrete deal in place for them to send over talent

I believe it had something to do with John Byrne who played for both clubs

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You think there's a Catholic versus Protestant issue with Hibs and Hearts?

Neither set of fans care about it. It's not an issue whatsoever.

I've been there loads of times and this is definitely the case.
I've lived there for five years. It's not huge, like Celtic/Rangers, but it is there, just a little.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Hearts always been the Protestant and hibs the catholic . May only be an element but it’s real .

Much prefer hearts but what can you do

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Way back at Withdean didn’t we have some sort of agreement with a team in France, possibly le Harve? What happened to that?

ish, we played a few friendlies over there and I think it had something to do with the INFLUX of flair Frenchmen that came over in that period. David Martot (who was shit) was signed on loan from Le Havre and Alexis Bertin was signed on a short term permanent deal also from Le Havre. But Chaigneau was from Rennes, Carole from Monaco and Frutos from Metz....maybe Le Havre recommended us to those players but there wasn't any concrete deal in place for them to send over talent

I believe it had something to do with John Byrne who played for both clubs

UEFA had a scheme where funding for youth training/projects was provided for teams that twinned up.
We played friendlies at Withdean and in Le Havre.
I think it lasted a couple of years.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
UEFA had a scheme where funding for youth training/projects was provided for teams that twinned up.
We played friendlies at Withdean and in Le Havre.
I think it lasted a couple of years.

Must say I don't remember a Withdean friendly at all?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
I've lived there for five years. It's not huge, like Celtic/Rangers, but it is there, just a little.

You're right, it defo exists. I don't think either set of fans want to be compared to Celtic/Rangers, and the sectarianism.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I can't tell if you've missed that it's Brighton in the background of their music video.

I didn't know that, and didn't watch the video, and even if I had watched the video (which I have now, begrudgingly) I wouldn't have spotted that the fleeting glimpses of some black and white railway scenes were Brighton. :shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're right, it defo exists. I don't think either set of fans want to be compared to Celtic/Rangers, and the sectarianism.

The sectarianism is always there, a little bit, under the surface. It also surfaces when Hibs play Rangers, or Hearts play Celtic.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Oh man, that would be epic.

Imagine sending players like Taylor Richards up there too, or Longman. I’m certain they would do well in the SPL.

Lots of former Prem players have gone up to Scotland and failed miserably. Why are you certain that two young players would go up there and do well?

We’ve literally just seen it with Duffy, so it seems pretty arrogant to think our youth players will go up there and instantly be great.

:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lots of former Prem players have gone up to Scotland and failed miserably. Why are you certain that two young players would go up there and do well?

We’ve literally just seen it with Duffy, so it seems pretty arrogant to think our youth players will go up there and instantly be great.

Any more arrogant than sending our youth players to the Championship wanting them to do great? OK, Duffy didn't do well, but Goldson and Balogun have had a rare old time up there.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

:shrug:
I don't think it is 'arrogant' at all but you have to positively back our youth players or move them on.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Did this partnership end before it took off?

Heard literally nothing on it since the big announcement

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Did this partnership end before it took off?

Heard literally nothing on it since the big announcement
Was thinking exactly the same thing recently. Not a peep since the original announcement. Maybe we have outgrown the need for this relationship & there wasn’t much in it for us.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was thinking exactly the same thing recently. Not a peep since the original announcement. Maybe we have outgrown the need for this relationship & there wasn’t much in it for us.
Since the agreement was made, we have sent several young players on loan to the SPL (and the Scottish Championship) - but none to Hibs though. I understand they did send a young GK down here for a few weeks to work with Ben Roberts and our GK team, but that seems to have been it.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I thought this got ended pretty quickly? hence us sending players to other SPL teams.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here