Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton has become an object lesson in why it is a disaster to vote Green.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Well I've lived here since 1980 and all I can say it that it's partially the freaks weirdo's and nutters that always made the town a bit of special place. It never used to be like anywhere else in the UK, seemed more like an offshoot of Berkeley. I too no longer recognise the town, now that the braying pushy Londoners with the sense of entitlement have moved in and transformed the town into Little Islington. Fiveways Village my arse!
I think that's just estate agents desperately trying to talk the place up. I've lived in Fiveways since 1991 and rather than 'down from London' types our newer neighbours are now Poles and Latvians. Of course they could have come here from London I suppose ...

(I can now say 'Good Morning' in Polish though. It sounds like 'G-en dobree')

I'm sorry, that had nothing to do with the Greens did it? Mostly crap article.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
The project for the i360 comes mostly from private investment, but the shortfall of the capital funding is being made up from the loan taken out by BHCC. From a political viewpoint, all of the parties are strongly in favour of the project, but Labour have not backed the loan.

I'm not sure which redevelopment of the seafront you're talking about. There has been so much over the years, and more is still needed. The seafront under city control stretches for around 7.5 miles - the majority of which is beach.

Regarding the King Alfred or Brighton Centre or whatever. I wasn't specifically talking about any given project, but if - for the sake of argument - the council wished to invest in a new sports centre, they could borrow money from the Loan Board to part-fund it. They have to jump through hoops, but I would suspect, however, that the terms of it could mean that the council goes in with a private partner in order that it isn't exposed to all of the risk. But I'm not sure on that.

Seeing as the loan must be reapid, it can only go on capital projects which will only make money back. It can't, therefore, go on things like schools or roads.

Thanks again. Everyday is a learning day.

For clarity the area i am talking about is west of the west pier to east of the bandstand. That area now has some vibrant shops under the arches that only opened this summer. Its rather nice there now.

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
"Braying pushy Londoners with a sense of entitlement" have indeed (much to my annoyance) increased in number since I moved here in '88 but still think that "freaks weirdoes and nutters" can still consider the town their spiritual home... the 'Little Islington' aspect is sufficently little that it doesn't bother me too much...

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
I have been disappointed in the Green administration. They are no different to the Lib/Lab/Tories in their approach to local politics.

We needed a breath of fresh air and all we got was rubbish not being collected, traffic jams on the roads and yet more commercial development bringing more pollution and higher house prices. I have been very angry at the way they have handled the Brighton Hippodrome development bringing yet more cinema screens and destroying Brighton's artistic heritage.

It doesn't matter who you vote for, you are going to get the same old, same old..... :yawn:

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
Can't get too hung up on nostalgic notions of Brighton in the 'good old days'... in the past its been more violent and more run down... as a big fan of the Basketmakers, for instance, was surprised to hear that this bastion of civility, good cheer and fine ale was in the 70s a no-go bikers pub nicknamed locally 'the bucket of blood'

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Utter twaddle. Read the minutes of the meeting.

135.23 Councillor G. Theobald stated that the Conservative Group were fully supportive of the proposed project and the financing arrangements and wished to thank everyone concerned in bringing the matter to the committee for consideration. He and his colleagues had attended a number of briefings and been able to question officers and the developer’s representatives on all aspects of the project and had concluded that it was worth supporting and seeing the area benefit. He hoped that all Members would support the project and be able to see it come to fruition in due course.

135.26 Councillor Peltzer Dunn stated that having given careful consideration to the proposal and taken the opportunity to question officers and the representatives, he believed it offered an opportunity to revitalise the area. The seafront was the shop window for the city and needed to be improved and maintained and he hoped residents would see the benefit of a decision to agree to the project in the years ahead.

135.28 Councillor A. Norman stated that it was an area which required investment to improve and she believed it was in the best interests of the city to support the project.

The vote was 7-3 in favour.

You can quote the minutes as much as you like but as well you know, what some councillors are prepared to say in public don't match what they will say in private.

The Tory councillors I've spoken to have said that a majority of the local Tory councillors were against it. Surprisingly, Ann Norman changed her mind at the very last minute .... allegedly, according to the councillors I've spoken to, after a word was had to her by Cllr Theobald. I wonder what deal Cllr Theobald struck to ensure the local tax payer was put at risk if the developer goes bust.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't get too hung up on nostalgic notions of Brighton in the 'good old days'... in the past its been more violent and more run down... as a big fan of the Basketmakers, for instance, was surprised to hear that this bastion of civility, good cheer and fine ale was in the 70s a no-go bikers pub nicknamed locally 'the bucket of blood'

Cobblers. I drank a lot in the Basketmakers between the mid-70s to the mid-80s and it's never been a 'no-go' pub, it was more full of old hippies than anything else. It did serve a lovely pint of Gales though. There was a Brighton pub known as the Bucket of Blood but that was one of the ones in Hanover (can't remember which)

I have been disappointed in the Green administration. They are no different to the Lib/Lab/Tories in their approach to local politics.

We needed a breath of fresh air and all we got was rubbish not being collected, traffic jams on the roads and yet more commercial development bringing more pollution and higher house prices. I have been very angry at the way they have handled the Brighton Hippodrome development bringing yet more cinema screens and destroying Brighton's artistic heritage.

I'd agree with this: I can see very little they've done that's been green - the Tories introduced more cycle lanes than they have, for example, and recycling rates are terrible. The Hippodrome decision was a shocker, but that's not entirely down to the Greens.

It's true that there's very little difference between the parties - that's why the Spectator article was such nonsense

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I am disappointed with the Green administration as far as recycling is concered. Obviously, recycling is a difficult one in central Brighton. The giant wheelie bins are essential as so many small flats don't have the capacity to cope with storing waste for a week, but provides a great opportunity for the selfish and thoughtless to dump perfectly good reusable material in these bins, spoiling it.

How do they cope in other similar authorities?

A foodwaste system would be great, but too expensive to run? I'm not sure why the council now refuse to take only plastic bottles.

At risk of derailing/OT, the best solution to recycling is to minimise packaging in the first place, but that's a national/international problem first and foremost.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am disappointed with the Green administration as far as recycling is concered. Obviously, recycling is a difficult one in central Brighton.

It's not difficult in the outskirts though. We have a box filled with bottles that has been outside for nearly eight weeks now. Our recycling was collected once a fortnight under Labour and Tory administrations, not sure why it's beyond the wit of a Green one to do the same

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's not difficult in the outskirts though. We have a box filled with bottles that has been outside for nearly eight weeks now. Our recycling was collected once a fortnight under Labour and Tory administrations, not sure why it's beyond the wit of a Green one to do the same

Oh, I agree. We are supposed to be fortnightly in Westdene, but are hit badly by the strikes. I imagine they target central areas when catching up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have voted for Green Party candidates before. But since then:

In Brighton although it doesn't directly affect me, some of their B&HCC policies have been a disaster. To deal with the sometimes dangerous Lewes Road, they used 'a sledge-hammer to crack a nut' with the ridiculous single lanes for cars, which have brought a large part of Brighton to a standstill. I know many Brightonians who live near there, or have to pass through it, who say that the local road network there has ground to a halt. I've seen it myself and turned the car around, to drive a much lengthier 'non-eco' journey. All because sadly a poor bike-riding uni student was killed and also in an attempt to bludgeon/bore car commuters to ditch their evil cars.

Anecdotally, I also had reason in the last couple of years to deal with Davy Jones, a Green Party councillor and prospective MP for Kemptown & East Brighton. It was shocking how out of touch this weirdo was from real issues, how arrogant this small man was, how in dealing with an non-issue he made up his small mind up when he had only heard half the story from one side to this non-incident, and finally the untruths he then told. His bizarre website www.davyjones4kemptonw.org.uk reveal his background as an alleged world expert in quangos spending money 'on communities', and someone so out of touch with the daily lives of normal residents, even in cosmopolitan Brighton.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You can quote the minutes as much as you like but as well you know, what some councillors are prepared to say in public don't match what they will say in private.

The Tory councillors I've spoken to have said that a majority of the local Tory councillors were against it. Surprisingly, Ann Norman changed her mind at the very last minute .... allegedly, according to the councillors I've spoken to, after a word was had to her by Cllr Theobald. I wonder what deal Cllr Theobald struck to ensure the local tax payer was put at risk if the developer goes bust.

Utter bollocks.

You honestly don't know what you're talking about. They've backed it - the whole council has - since the project's inception in 2006. They're all on record as stating the same, including while the Tories held the 'power'.

And as someone who has dealt with Ann Norman myself on many issues, I know you're talking twaddle.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I have been very angry at the way they have handled the Brighton Hippodrome development bringing yet more cinema screens and destroying Brighton's artistic heritage.

I actually have some sympathy with the Greens on this one. The Hippodrome has stood idle for years. Anyone could have purchased it and put forward plans for it's use. Yet the moment a developer does, loads of people are up in arms about the plans. Firstly why were they so silent before ( and why didn't they get off their arses to raise funds and develop it ) before ? Secondly, surely it is better it is used than stand derelict for more years ?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have voted for Green Party candidates before. But since then:

In Brighton although it doesn't directly affect me, some of their B&HCC policies have been a disaster. To deal with the sometimes dangerous Lewes Road, they used 'a sledge-hammer to crack a nut' with the ridiculous single lanes for cars, which have brought a large part of Brighton to a standstill. I know many Brightonians who live near there, or have to pass through it, who say that the local road network there has ground to a halt. I've seen it myself and turned the car around, to drive a much lengthier 'non-eco' journey.

You do know that - as has been mentioned Christ alone how many times - this scheme was started under the Conservative administration?

You also know that the standstill is being brought about by roadworks at present? You also know that car drivers are in the minority on Lewes Road, so schemes catering more for the majority are required.

All because sadly a poor bike-riding uni student was killed and also in an attempt to bludgeon/bore car commuters to ditch their evil cars.

What a thoroughly unpleasant person you are.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I actually have some sympathy with the Greens on this one. The Hippodrome has stood idle for years. Anyone could have purchased it and put forward plans for it's use. Yet the moment a developer does, loads of people are up in arms about the plans. Firstly why were they so silent before ( and why didn't they get off their arses to raise funds and develop it ) before ? Secondly, surely it is better it is used than stand derelict for more years ?

The issue with this is that the planning committee approved plans to demolish the Astoria as there was no call for another cinema in central Brighton and then pass plans to turn the Hippodrome into one. If there's a need for a new cinema, then the Astoria should clearly take precedence

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
Cobblers. I drank a lot in the Basketmakers between the mid-70s to the mid-80s and it's never been a 'no-go' pub, it was more full of old hippies than anything else. It did serve a lovely pint of Gales though. There was a Brighton pub known as the Bucket of Blood but that was one of the ones in Hanover (can't remember which)

I'd agree with this: I can see very little they've done that's been green - the Tories introduced more cycle lanes than they have, for example, and recycling rates are terrible. The Hippodrome decision was a shocker, but that's not entirely down to the Greens.

It's true that there's very little difference between the parties - that's why the Spectator article was such nonsense

Re. the Basketmakers, old boy who told me with some degree of authority that it was dodgy as **** when he was a youngster was born & bred Brightonian... might have been 60s rather than 70s because North Laine was pretty rough then... will investigate further...

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Utter bollocks.

You honestly don't know what you're talking about. They've backed it - the whole council has - since the project's inception in 2006. They're all on record as stating the same, including while the Tories held the 'power'.

And as someone who has dealt with Ann Norman myself on many issues, I know you're talking twaddle.

Well I know you like to use your high and mighty arrogance to suggest you're always right but it is you that is talking "utter bollocks". Unless of course you're suggesting that the three Tory councillors I met with ( about an entirely different subject ) shortly after the vote are lying ? The Tory party were entirely split on the i360 funding and a deal was struck.

I couldn't give a toss if you believe that or not but it was told to me by Tory councillors and verified by other sources.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well I know you like to use your high and mighty arrogance to suggest you're always right but it is you that is talking "utter bollocks". Unless of course you're suggesting that the three Tory councillors I met with ( about an entirely different subject ) shortly after the vote are lying ? The Tory party were entirely split on the i360 funding and a deal was struck.

I couldn't give a toss if you believe that or not but it was told to me by Tory councillors and verified by other sources.

I wouldn't trust a councillor whom would say one thing and vote another. I certainly wouldn't try and defend them regarding deceit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here