Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Film and Comic Con

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Can't see the appeal myself but good luck to those who enjoy this kind of thing.
Seems to be a harmless enough hobby - don't see why people feel the need belittle those who choose to attend.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Coincidentally, Phoenix Comicon started yesterday. Just looking at their website, it costs $45 for entry tomorrow. If you want Billie Piper's autograph it'll cost you another $60, and a photo opportunity will cost $65 ($110 for Billie Piper and Alex Kingston together). Who pays that sort of money? :shrug:

I'm sure Billie is enjoying her stay in Phoenix; it could reach 118F tomorrow (48C).

Is it $200 for a photo of Alex Kingston without Billie Piper?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Out of interest, some elderly woman barged in front of me at the ticket office at Seaford train station two months ago, I thought, fair enough, she must be in a hurry and let her do her thing. When I got to the window the woman behind the counter told me that she was in the original 1977 Star Wars and was off to appear at a fan convention and had to get the train just about to depart. Some Comic Con fan must know who she is because no amount of Google-ing Seaford resident/Star Wars actress could help. Apparently the 1977 Star Wars is notorious for only having two females with speaking parts, one obviously being Carrie Fisher.

The only scene where there are several women is the Cantina scene. There are also several others in deleted scenes (Hans Solo's girlfriend for one). The only name I recognise is Koo Stark, who was in a deleted scene apparently.

Jenny Cresswell was Han Solo's girlfriend. She also appeared in Space 1999 and has been to Comic Cons before. She won Miss Anglia in 1966 and was a hostess on Sale of the Century! Also in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. She would be 68 years old now. Maybe her? Not sure I would like to be called elderly at the age of 68 though.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Coincidentally, Phoenix Comicon started yesterday. Just looking at their website, it costs $45 for entry tomorrow. If you want Billie Piper's autograph it'll cost you another $60, and a photo opportunity will cost $65 ($110 for Billie Piper and Alex Kingston together). Who pays that sort of money? :shrug:

I'm sure Billie is enjoying her stay in Phoenix; it could reach 118F tomorrow (48C).

Whilst these prices are eye watering, I guess that they have to factor in the geek value and the likelihood that the photos/autographs will be sold on eBay.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Amazing

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
All those sneering at this might do well to remember that this is a football forum full of grown men and women who abuse other grown men and women for supporting a different team. We spend thousands watching 22 men kick a ball about, we idolise them, we fantasise about playing alongside them, we wear replica shirts and we get excited if we bump into one of these footballers in the street. We reminisce about boot average players who last kicked a ball 20 or 30 years ago.

When you deconstruct anything it all sounds absurd but if these people who are into these comic and film events aren't doing anybody any harm and they enjoy it then more power to their elbow. It's not my bag but then again following Brighton and Hove Albion isn't for everyone either.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apropos of nothing, my youngest son's friend's dad was an extra in the new Star Wars film. I think he was a rebel fighter pilot which I think is pretty cool and he had as many lines in it as Mark Hamill.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All those sneering at this might do well to remember that this is a football forum full of grown men and women who abuse other grown men and women for supporting a different team. We spend thousands watching 22 men kick a ball about, we idolise them, we fantasise about playing alongside them, we wear replica shirts and we get excited if we bump into one of these footballers in the street. We reminisce about boot average players who last kicked a ball 20 or 30 years ago.

When you deconstruct anything it all sounds absurd but if these people who are into these comic and film events aren't doing anybody any harm and they enjoy it then more power to their elbow. It's not my bag but then again following Brighton and Hove Albion isn't for everyone either.

Your oft-espoused pantomime hatred of Crystal Palace fans doesn't do anybody any favours either. Fuelling views like that (tho I don't believe you GENUINELY hold those views for a second) lead directly to actions such as the attack on the Downs Syndrome lad wearing a CP top at Haywards Heath station by some muppet who has been conditioned to feel hatred for CP fans for no good reason at all. REMF game shows year after year what a load of old tosh the pantomime hatred is.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Your oft-espoused pantomime hatred of Crystal Palace fans doesn't do anybody any favours either. Fuelling views like that (tho I don't believe you GENUINELY hold those views for a second) lead directly to actions such as the attack on the Downs Syndrome lad wearing a CP top at Haywards Heath station by some muppet who has been conditioned to feel hatred for CP fans for no good reason at all. REMF game shows year after year what a load of old tosh the pantomime hatred is.

Absolute nonsense. Complete and utter rubbish. On topic, it's practically the same argument that stupid people use about violent films or computer games. If you genuinely think that's the case then the next time you hear the "Hark now hear the Brighton sing, the Palace run away..." or practically any other anti-Palace chant at a Brighton match then I will expect at the very least for you to have a word with those starting the chants and tell them that they are responsible in part for football violence.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Absolute nonsense. Complete and utter rubbish. On topic, it's practically the same argument that stupid people use about violent films or computer games. If you genuinely think that's the case then the next time you hear the "Hark now hear the Brighton sing, the Palace run away..." or practically any other anti-Palace chant at a Brighton match then I will expect at the very least for you to have a word with those starting the chants and tell them that they are responsible in part for football violence.

Apology accepted :thumbsup:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
...some elderly woman barged in front of me at the ticket office at Seaford train station...she was in the original 1977 Star Wars...

She probably shouldn't have used the force.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here