Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton fans meltdown: arrived (Was incoming)

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Lovely post @Stato

Some people really have lost a bit of perspective.

I'd also like to add that while this season feels like it is petering out which can feel disappointing because it held so much promise we have nonetheless:

Spent a game week top of the entire football league - which is I think the first time that's ever happened? Certainly true for the premier league.

Spent every day so far of the season in the top 10. Even if we don't finish there it's still a hell of an achievement to get 31 games into the season and not to have been below 10th.

Watched Brighton play in Athens, Amsterdam, Marseille and Rome and picked up five wins against those four teams.

Smashed palace 4-1 on live telly around the world.

This is th eonly season in our history where doing all that could be considered disappointing. And that's purely because of what we achieved last season.

The world hasn't ended that we haven't been able to match last year. And there's still a chance we might.
In a way this is a bit of a reality check for me because I have to admit, I have been disappointed at times and as much as all of my toys are still in my pram and I’m not chaining myself to the Amex gates with an RDZ out placard…. I’m now wondering what the hell I was thinking at those moments during the season. How crazy that we’ve done all this and Yes this is the only season when that could be deemed disappointing

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In a way this is a bit of a reality check for me because I have to admit, I have been disappointed at times and as much as all of my toys are still in my pram and I’m not chaining myself to the Amex gates with an RDZ out placard…. I’m now wondering what the hell I was thinking at those moments during the season. How crazy that we’ve done all this and Yes this is the only season when that could be deemed disappointing
This is the point. There is a mad graph online somewhere that shows our rise from the moment Bloom took over. It had to stall at some point, as otherwise we'd be winning the Champions League final 10-0 every season if the trajectory was to be maintained.

It's been a hell of a ride. The next dream is to be in Europe at least semi-regularly, and I'm sure at some point to bring home a trophy. Exciting times are ahead, when we're able to divorce ourselves from the week-by-week or month-by-month and look slightly longer term, which is very hard to do, and feels counter cultural.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yeah, it's very easy to forget all the good things that have happened because our hopes and expectations were so high going into the season. I've had plenty of moments of feeling disappointed with how things have gone but I jsut have to keep reminding myself of the things that have gone well rather than dwelling on those that haven't.

This is going to be one of the best seasons so far in the clubs history and it still has the potential to end with more European football as well as a potentially very exciting summer of recruitment. Things really are pretty good!

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
Excellent post and justification to all points made.
I am guilty of late of getting frustrated with our rather predictable approach play but I have always tried to a) look on the bright side and b) remain a realist.
Am I frustrated this season, a bit. But not because of entitlement because I think we have shown better before and could be performing a bit better than we are.
I said pre season, a top half finish and good cup runs would be a good achievement. All still possible but I will admit to being a bit blinded by the lure of Europe again which does seem to have finally slipped away now.
Onwards and upwards And here’s to a good end to the season.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It seems to me that last year's achievements may have made some of us presume that we automatically belong in the highest echelons of European football and that us fans are being let down by every disappointing result, so in response to the recent spate of woe is us/sack everyone threads, here's a little context.

Last season's 6th place was the best finish in the club's history. 21/22's 9th was the second best, third was 13th in 1981/82. We're currently 10th and 13 points ahead of the team in 14th. It seems safe to say that this will probably at least equal the third best league finish we've ever achieved. We've done this whilst playing in Europe for the first time and we topped our group. We still currently have a positive goal difference. Last season was the only in our existence that we'd finished a season in the top flight with a positive goal difference.

This is the squad from last year's FA Cup semi-final, along with details of how it's changed this year and the player's availability this term. To give a fuller picture I've added some of last year's squad who were not available for that game. The availability detail is not to provide excuses, but to show the various challenges the squad has faced whilst getting to where we are this year.

NameStill in Squad?ReplacementAvailability
SanchezGoneVerbruggenOkay
GrossYesPlayed 44 matches in 22/23. With internationals has played 45 this year with 7 games to go
Webster
Yes
Injured in November missed 10 matches - played only 6 since then and only once for the full 90
Dunk
Yes
Played 42 matches in 22/23. Has played 41 this year with 7 games to go
EstupinanYesMissed 15 matches October to January
CaicedoGoneDahoudGone
Mac AllisterGoneBalebaOkay
MarchYesInjured in October - out for the season
EncisoYesMeniscus tear in second game of the season - missed 30 games and hasn't yet played 90 minutes all year.
MitomaYesOut for three games before international absence. Back injury in February - Out for the season
WelbeckYesMissed 11 Matches October to December
ColwillGoneIgorOkay
UndavLoanedPedroMissed 9 games in Feb/March
SteeleYesOkay
AyariGoneMilnerMissed 17 games through injury. Hasn't played since January
GilmourYesMissed the last 6 games through injury
van HeckeYesAlready played 37 matches this season. 5 more than he has played in any previous full season
VeltmanYesMissed 8 games Dec-Feb
BuonanotteYesAlready played over double the minutes he played last season
OffiahSent on loan. Returned due to illnessHinshelwoodInjured in Feb - Out for the season
LallanaYesOkay
FergusonYesCurrently injured.
TrossardWent in January 2023AdringaMissed a few games with a hamstring injury just before the ANC
SarmientoLoanedFatiMissed 13 games Dec-Feb

We are the only team in the top 10 that is not also in the top ten of the division's largest salaries: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/

Over the last five seasons the rest of the top ten have transfer balances that range from -€367.96m (West Ham) to -€909.58m (Chelsea). In the same period we have made €12.66m. We're the only team to have made a transfer profit over that period and remain in the division.

None of this implies that fans can't be frustrated when our form is bad, or worried that it's not going to click again. None of this excuses poor performances and our coaching team wouldn't let it. However, it's provided as a gentle reminder that our success is against the odds. It's always going to be an uphill battle. There will always be knock backs and they'll often be frequent. We're always going to be raided by richer opponents. We're always going to need periods of renewal whilst younger players bed in and improve. None of this has been at all likely and it is actually far more likely that it ends than it sustains.

We're on an incredible ride and this rollercoaster will have a lot of dips along with the incredible peaks. When we experience the dips, logic suggests that it's better to all stay in the car and trust that there may be a peak coming than to throw stuff at the ride controller, or call for him to sack the engineer.

Sorry this is so long: if anybody wants the abridged version:- Amongst the excitement, we've suffered a bit this year, but we've faced it together and if we stick together, we will be stronger for it in the future. We will never have an automatic right to three points against anybody in this league. Stop these silly threads. If Palace were doing them on their forum, we'd be massively amused at the sheer hubris.
Post of the season without a doubt.

FWIW, 2023 was without a doubt my favourite year watching the Albion ever, it'll take some beating. Heights I never thought imaginable. I've found myself having just as much fun this year as well. It's a joy to watch the Albion under RDZ and with a young exciting group of players. You're completely right, it's an incredible ride, and if you're not enjoying it, then I'm not sure what you really want from the Albion.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Post of the season without a doubt.

FWIW, 2023 was without a doubt my favourite year watching the Albion ever, it'll take some beating. Heights I never thought imaginable. I've found myself having just as much fun this year as well. It's a joy to watch the Albion under RDZ and with a young exciting group of players. You're completely right, it's an incredible ride, and if you're not enjoying it, then I'm not sure what you really want from the Albion.
2023 as a Calendar Year must be quite simply the best ever to have been a Brighton fan. Or should I say 'so far'.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Safe after 27 games. Missing too many key players for too long. Expectations have to be adjusted.

Still a lot to play for from our final 7 games. A second consecutive season of being a top half team.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
When we're back to playing one game a week next season with a settled and fit squad, we'll be brilliant again. Massive emphasis on the word 'fit' there. March, Enciso, Mitoma, Pedro all fit and firing every week is a wonderful thought. Adingra, Buonanotte, Moder. Sarmiento (?), Ferguson, Welbz on the bench and rotating in as needed.

I've probably forgotten others but if we can get over the injuries, we'll be so much better. I'm confident that this season will make us better in the long run.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I didn't include 2021/22 given we spent a fair amount of time that season dipping below halfway even though we finished 9th.
The only positions that matter are those at the end of the season after everybody's played everybody else home and away.

You wouldn't say a team had won the league if they spent every week at the top except the last and finished 2nd.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It seems to me that last year's achievements may have made some of us presume that we automatically belong in the highest echelons of European football and that us fans are being let down by every disappointing result, so in response to the recent spate of woe is us/sack everyone threads, here's a little context.

Last season's 6th place was the best finish in the club's history. 21/22's 9th was the second best, third was 13th in 1981/82. We're currently 10th and 13 points ahead of the team in 14th. It seems safe to say that this will probably at least equal the third best league finish we've ever achieved. We've done this whilst playing in Europe for the first time and we topped our group. We still currently have a positive goal difference. Last season was the only in our existence that we'd finished a season in the top flight with a positive goal difference.

This is the squad from last year's FA Cup semi-final, along with details of how it's changed this year and the player's availability this term. To give a fuller picture I've added some of last year's squad who were not available for that game. The availability detail is not to provide excuses, but to show the various challenges the squad has faced whilst getting to where we are this year.

NameStill in Squad?ReplacementAvailability
SanchezGoneVerbruggenOkay
GrossYesPlayed 44 matches in 22/23. With internationals has played 45 this year with 7 games to go
Webster
Yes
Injured in November missed 10 matches - played only 6 since then and only once for the full 90
Dunk
Yes
Played 42 matches in 22/23. Has played 41 this year with 7 games to go
EstupinanYesMissed 15 matches October to January
CaicedoGoneDahoudGone
Mac AllisterGoneBalebaOkay
MarchYesInjured in October - out for the season
EncisoYesMeniscus tear in second game of the season - missed 30 games and hasn't yet played 90 minutes all year.
MitomaYesOut for three games before international absence. Back injury in February - Out for the season
WelbeckYesMissed 11 Matches October to December
ColwillGoneIgorOkay
UndavLoanedPedroMissed 9 games in Feb/March
SteeleYesOkay
AyariGoneMilnerMissed 17 games through injury. Hasn't played since January
GilmourYesMissed the last 6 games through injury
van HeckeYesAlready played 37 matches this season. 5 more than he has played in any previous full season
VeltmanYesMissed 8 games Dec-Feb
BuonanotteYesAlready played over double the minutes he played last season
OffiahSent on loan. Returned due to illnessHinshelwoodInjured in Feb - Out for the season
LallanaYesOkay
FergusonYesCurrently injured.
TrossardWent in January 2023AdringaMissed a few games with a hamstring injury just before the ANC
SarmientoLoanedFatiMissed 13 games Dec-Feb

We are the only team in the top 10 that is not also in the top ten of the division's largest salaries: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/payroll/

Over the last five seasons the rest of the top ten have transfer balances that range from -€367.96m (West Ham) to -€909.58m (Chelsea). In the same period we have made €12.66m. We're the only team to have made a transfer profit over that period and remain in the division.

None of this implies that fans can't be frustrated when our form is bad, or worried that it's not going to click again. None of this excuses poor performances and our coaching team wouldn't let it. However, it's provided as a gentle reminder that our success is against the odds. It's always going to be an uphill battle. There will always be knock backs and they'll often be frequent. We're always going to be raided by richer opponents. We're always going to need periods of renewal whilst younger players bed in and improve. None of this has been at all likely and it is actually far more likely that it ends than it sustains.

We're on an incredible ride and this rollercoaster will have a lot of dips along with the incredible peaks. When we experience the dips, logic suggests that it's better to all stay in the car and trust that there may be a peak coming than to throw stuff at the ride controller, or call for him to sack the engineer.

Sorry this is so long: if anybody wants the abridged version:- Amongst the excitement, we've suffered a bit this year, but we've faced it together and if we stick together, we will be stronger for it in the future. We will never have an automatic right to three points against anybody in this league. Stop these silly threads. If Palace were doing them on their forum, we'd be massively amused at the sheer hubris.
Post of the year. Well said. Maps to why I have treated all the RDZ 'in' 'out' 'shale it all about' howling with the disdain it deserves :thumbsup:

Last edited:

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
We were f***ing brilliant last season; for spells almost unplayable. We just haven't hit the same levels.
With player sales and injuries we probably haven't hit the same levels.

But another major factor is that opposition teams have learned that a low block is the best way to deal with our tactics. This has made it much harder to to play that brilliant incisive football. In fact, it has lead to quite long tedious periods of play as we pass the ball around looking for ways through the block.

Last season Moyes said that Brighton had a unique style of play which was hard to play against. This season he parked the bus and played on the counterattack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here