Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton fans -Have we lost some Perspective? Good things to say about Brighton please!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't want to do the "25 years ago we were losing at home to..... blah blah blah".

The young players we have today are exceptionally talented.
Adingra, Enciso, Buonanotte, Barco, Baleba, Van Hecke, Gilmour all look to have the potential to have careers at the top of the game.

With the way the transfer market is developing in the light of PSR, we may actually end up keeping them for a sensible amount of time, before moving them on.

If so, and we can keep De Zerbi for the next couple of seasons, I believe we can build something truly incredible.

UTA

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Our season's basically over now. We're not gonna get relegated, we're not gonna qualify for Europe, we're out of all the cups (okay, technically we're still in the Europa but come on).

That said, I remember when Leyton Orient were our sort-of rivals and Nicky Forster was our star player. And don't get me wrong, he was awesome for us. But this season's supposed failures were beyond my wildest dreams in those days.

So what now, now that all we have to play for is that one single point that will take us over the 40-point safety mark? Personally, I want to see us preparing for next season from right now. Baleba and Verbruggen need to play every game that they're physically fit to play; it doesn't matter if they make mistakes this season, we've got nothing to play for so we might as well get them up to speed for next season.

And I'd like to see RDZ getting crazily experimental with tactics. He - and we - might as well use the rest of this season to try stuff out that'd be too risky when we're actually playing for something.
Stop all that talk of our season is virtually over, out of the cups, not getting relegated, not gonna get into europe. I vividly remember Charlton fans saying the same thing and look at them ever since.

We have to learn to walk before we run. So far the journey has been steady progression with a few bumps on the way, just as PBOBE quite often describes it.

It’s right to be disappointed with last nights result but don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's a great opportunity to develop our key players for next season.

We need to bring back the playing without fear mindset ,that got us to our highest league finish ever.

albionalba

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2023
sadly in Scotland
Lots of good points on this thread and in fairness the club with Paul Barber has always said it will be two steps forward and one (and occasionally two) steps back. That's just the journey we are on. So much to love about seeing Brighton playing on that stage last night.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Stop all that talk of our season is virtually over, out of the cups, not getting relegated, not gonna get into europe. I vividly remember Charlton fans saying the same thing and look at them ever since.

We have to learn to walk before we run. So far the journey has been steady progression with a few bumps on the way, just as PBOBE quite often describes it.

It’s right to be disappointed with last nights result but don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I'm not really sure what your point is here. Are you saying we're in genuine danger of being relegated this season? That seems like a pretty absurd suggestion, we're on 39 points.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
2/3 years ago if you offered any single fan a decent first season in Europe, matches v Ajax, Marseille, AEK and Roma, possible consecutive top ten PL finishes, whilst making an enormous profit on player trading and having some exceptional talent coming through they'd have bitten your hand off or said you were deluded.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I can't believe people went into last night, thinking we SHOULD have won it, and now calling for RDZ's head...its simply ludicrous....We have a lot to work on out of last night, and our younger players looked out of their depth. But what an experience for the team and for the younger members...It can only be a good thing to have played against Rome, so much to learn from.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Lots to still be positive about!

Three years ago if you'd told me we'd be in Europe, winning our group and then going out to Roma I would have wondered what you were sniffing.

It's all about the learning experience for me. Yes, we were outplayed by a better team last night and we made a few errors and were missing some key players. We WILL learn from this especially as this is our first ever foray into Europe. We are still in a decent place in the league and we just now have to focus on trying our best to finish in the top 10 and as high as possible.

Where we've been caught short for me this season is a barrage of injuries to key (not fringe) players : Solly, Mitoma, Pedro, Estupian for a period (and Mitoma and Adingra whilst they were on Afcon and Asian Cup duties). Milner has not added much and Baleba is still pretty raw, and Fati has largely just been one of those additions where it just hasn't worked out for club or player.

Looking forward to the summer I'd let Milner and Lallana go, together with sadly Lamptey, Webster, Gross (if he chooses to return to Germany which sounds likely) and I'd sell if the offer was right Ferguson or Mitoma (or both). Fergie although young just hasn't developed this season like I'd hoped, and Mitoma could bring in some serious money (and we do have potential cover in his position with Adingra, and Barco now).

I'd like to see a new Right Back to replace Lamptey, another Centre Half to replace Webster, a strong Central Midfielder to replace Gross (if he leaves), and another forward if Mitoma or Fergie were to be sold for an offer we couldn't refuse.

Oh, and I'd also STOP rotating the keepers.

Simple (on paper)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can't believe people went into last night, thinking we SHOULD have won it, and now calling for RDZ's head...its simply ludicrous....We have a lot to work on out of last night, and our younger players looked out of their depth. But what an experience for the team and for the younger members...It can only be a good thing to have played against Rome, so much to learn from.
I'm an eternal optimist and I had us down for a 3-1 loss.
I am disappointed we didn't score against a team with a suspect defence.

But they are a team in form capable of turning anyone over at the moment.
Payback for getting Ajax at their worst moment I guess.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This season has ended for us, no cups and "safe in the League" but it also needs to be put in to perspective many positives (I know it doesn't feel that way now) but we will be better for it in future.

I think we will have a relative vulture free summer keeping the vast majority of the management team and squad together, the youngster will be better for this season mature even for their age. A couple of real fullbacks, 1 quality ready made DM and key players back from injury and things will look rosey again for next season.

The last 18 months would have seen many a club collapse but we have continued to develop, I am far from a happy clapper and there are still areas where we have come up glaringly short but as the thread says "positives".

We go again in August.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
How long did it take Man City to get things right in the Champions League? First two seasons they didn't get out of their group, then next two seasons they got knocked out in the round of 16. I realise the Europa League is a step down - but to be fair to us, this season there are some HUGE clubs in the Europa League. As ever, we all need a bit of perspective :)

Jul 29, 2017
I have supported the albion since i was four years old - 45 years now and over the last year has been the greatest of all time.

Lets be realistic Roma are another level to us currently but we are building to establish being regular contenders for European football. Couple of defensive errors last night but all in all I am so proud to be a Brighton fan what we have achieved.

Heres to a very bright future.

Onwards and upwards

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Last season the whole club top to bottom was on an incredible high, we had the manager on the pitch saying let’s fight for everything next season. Unfortunately that dream was quickly taken away by miss management in the transfer window. We replaced a world class midfield with Billy G and expected the same results. We clearly didn’t have a list of replacements ready to step in to continue the curve.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I'm not really sure what your point is here. Are you saying we're in genuine danger of being relegated this season? That seems like a pretty absurd suggestion, we're on 39 points.
Not sure where you got that impression from. I thought I was being clear that I remember Charlton fans moaning for a few years that their season was over by February, out of the cups and safe in the league by February. The very essence of “Be careful what you wish for!” They sacked Curbishley because they were bored, got relegated, disbanded the Ladies team which was going well and have never been back.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
We have some brilliant young players, a superb recruitment system, an owner the envy of every club. The future’s bright. With a manager who understands all that and is in it for the long term to ride out the occasional rebuild, we’ll have other seasons in Europe and maybe win a pot or two. Hopefully De Zerbi is that man.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
OK it seems our European jaunt may be over this year but we have done better than expected. Who ever thought we would win it anyway? This club has nothing, I repeat NOTHING to be ashamed of and every reason to be proud. Our manager is doing a brilliant job.
As for those saying our season is over? What planet are you on? ... we will now have no distraction from our League commitments so as to finish in top 6or 7 and come again next year. Maybe then we will have kinder draws than going to Rome and facing recent winners and runners up of the competition. :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here