Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Really?
Another one?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Not condoning racist language, but if its a case of someone ears dropping then 5 years is abit over the top

'Fellow fans seated close to the man in the West Stand reported the offensive term to the club after overhearing him speaking to a friend.'

Unless there is more to the story

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Not condoning racist language, but if its a case of someone ears dropping then 5 years is abit over the top

'Fellow fans seated close to the man in the West Stand reported the offensive term to the club after overhearing him speaking to a friend.'

If only someone had posted on an Internet forum about it when it happened...........

:jester:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I think the word is eavesdropping.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

To a certain extent although the culprit fully admitted the offence

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont agree with racism but I have just phoned my brother who has just returned from the USA and when I see him on Tuesday and ask about his holiday and The Grand Prix is likely to say that the holiday was great as was the race apart from the fact that the arrogant little c..n won it as he cannot stand him. It is general terms of descriptive language, right or wrong, where he works at Heathrow but if in a private conversation with his brother even if overheard, is it right that he should be banned, I dont think so , I think that is a case of taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut. If it is said in general to all around yes I would agree but in a private conversation, that others shouldn't be listening to and may be a little louder than normal due to my hearing, I think it is wrong. Having said that nobody knows what was actually said in this case nor the level or the audience it was said to.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I dont agree with racism but I have just phoned my brother who has just returned from the USA and when I see him on Tuesday and ask about his holiday and The Grand Prix is likely to say that the holiday was great as was the race apart from the fact that the arrogant little c..n won it as he cannot stand him. It is general terms of descriptive language, right or wrong, where he works at Heathrow but if in a private conversation with his brother even if overheard, is it right that he should be banned, I dont think so , I think that is a case of taking a sledge hammer to crack a nut. If it is said in general to all around yes I would agree but in a private conversation, that others shouldn't be listening to and may be a little louder than normal due to my hearing, I think it is wrong. Having said that nobody knows what was actually said in this case nor the level or the audience it was said to.

Your brother sounds like a racist, how is that descriptive?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
As Driver8 has said there is nothing in that term that is descriptive - it is used simply in a derogatory way. And there is no right or wrong about it imo.

:facepalm:
Somebody take the shovel out his hand:rolleyes:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Your brother sounds like a racist, how is that descriptive?

He isn't but the workers at BA consist of mainly people of Indian. Pakistani, West Indian people to add to the English Irish Scot and Welsh so the fellow workers often refer to the other person as the stupid Jock Taff, Mick or whatever but is not meant in pure derogatory racist way. I would add that management or the other workers wouldn't refer somebody to the race relations board or whatever for saying it. These same people call him and his English mates Hunky is that not just as racist.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
'A club spokesman said: “We have a zero tolerance policy on racial or homophobic language and abuse, and on this occasion the penalty may have been stiffer, and further action may have been taken, but for the individual’s immediate cooperation and remorse.

“We feel this punishment is appropriate and the perpetrator has learned from the incident and genuinely believes they will not behave in this manner again.”

A spokesman for Kick It Out, football’s anti-racism campaign, said: “We praise Brighton and Hove Albion for its swift, decisive action on the matter.

“It demonstrates the seriousness with which the club takes abuse and unacceptable behaviour.

The club is encouraging any fans encountering racist, homophobic or antisocial language or behaviour to use its text line, 07880 196442, or to speak to a steward at the time of the offence happening...'

So that would be at EVERY home game from the *away* fans then, with nothing done about it ???

Laughable double standards

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Simply put, and going on what you have said there, I'd say that your brother is either a racist or a man with a seriously outdated view of the acceptability of using that kind of language in any context whatsoever.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Simply put, and going on what you have said there, I'd say that your brother is either a racist or a man with a seriously outdated view of the acceptability of using that kind of language in any context whatsoever.

My final post on this is that he has somewhat outdated views on what is acceptable having worked at BA for many years and remembers the Enoch Powell speech but I still wouldn't want him reported for having a private conversation with me which is my whole point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports