Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton eye move for Swindon goalkeeper Wes Foderingham

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I see it as a quality long term strategy.

2015-16 Stockdale - competent other - Casper. Walton League 1 loanee with game time.
2016-17 Walton - competent other - The other youth g/k/Casper. Stockdale sold before last year of contract.
2017-27 Walton.

I see your/their logic. BUT. This presupposes that we can sell or release Stockdale next summer window (and this involves whether some other club want to buy him, and he wants to go there), and that the 'competent other' is content to be as such, rather than what is being mooted which is challenging Stockdale (and in a season or two, Walton) for a starting place. Finally, with 2017-2027 you're being somewhat optimistic with Walton. Either he'll prove to be not as good as we all seem to hope/expect him to be, or he will be and unless we're promoted, he'll be elsewhere.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I see it as a quality long term strategy.

2015-16 Stockdale - competent other - Casper. Walton League 1 loanee with game time.
2016-17 Walton - competent other - The other youth g/k/Casper. Stockdale sold before last year of contract.
2017-27 Walton.
Looks good. Alternatively, 'competent other' could be given just a one year contract.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Walton needs regular first team football to help his development and as much as people, including myself, would like to see him do it in an Albion shirt it's just not going to happen any time soon. We can't offer him what he needs or wants at this moment in time so it's sensible to loan him out so he can get experience at being a clubs no.1. Bringing in Foderingham would be a good bit of business IMO. If Swindon fail to reach the Championship it's quite likely he will start looking for a new club. I'd rather him than Maenpaa at any rate. What about Al-Habsi? Is he being released by Wigan? Could do a job...

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'm somewhat puzzled by our goalkeeper approach. The plan seems to be to loan Walton out for a season, and get someone else in to challenge Stockdale, keeping Ankegren as third choice. I've no problems with loaning Walton out, so long as he gets a full season in. But that will in all probability leave us with three goalkeepers challenging for a starting place in the 2016-17 season.

Ankergen is 3rd choice behind Stockdale and then whoever comes in to compete with Stockdale. Ankergen provides cover in that capacity. Walton, as many young keepers do, is to go off on loan for a season and that leaves someone to join to compete against Stockdale. Walton is being "groomed" to become Albion's number 1.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Goalkeeper is the one position I would say we don't need to change. Blame Stockdale, Anks and Walton are good enough for next season!

If we did sign another quality keeper it would allow Walton to go out on a season long loan. He is still only 19 remember, and l think an uninterrupted run of games, perhaps for a League One or League Two club, would hold him, and the club, in very good stead for the future ,

If he drops the odd clanger, and he will at that age, let him do it for them, and not for us. He will hopefully come back to the Albion a much more experienced player, and possibly ready to vie for the 1st team jersey in 2016/17.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I see your/their logic. BUT. This presupposes that we can sell or release Stockdale next summer window (and this involves whether some other club want to buy him, and he wants to go there), and that the 'competent other' is content to be as such, rather than what is being mooted which is challenging Stockdale (and in a season or two, Walton) for a starting place. Finally, with 2017-2027 you're being somewhat optimistic with Walton. Either he'll prove to be not as good as we all seem to hope/expect him to be, or he will be and unless we're promoted, he'll be elsewhere.
Last things first the 2027 is just a tongue in cheek reference to 'if he's good enough Walton has the job for 'life'.

Stockdale is nowhere near as bad as NSC would have you believe, there would be plenty of takers this time next year.
Obviously that's all dependent on what division we are in (if only that was just a promotion comment).

Competent Other has to fancy his chances of game time.
He'll certainly not be squeezed out of the team by Casper.
He'll be in the cups and then its up to him.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Might be a case of signing Foderingham and then loaning Walton to Swindon?

(If they don't go up)

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Slightly off topic but watching that game the guy who impressed meand would be worth a look was the Sheff Utd sub Adams . he came on looked lively crossed well and scored !! would love to see him develop in a Brighton Shirt

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Wes was well regarded and liked at Palace, Had to move on to get his career moving by playing games. Would be a good signing for you guys, Good shot stopper and can actually play with his feet too.

Suprised he is out of contract, I suppose Swindon are waiting to see if they go up or not.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
At 24 he wouldn't command any kind of fee to Swindon, presumably he would command a signing on fee of some size but I think it shows a degree of intent to go for someone of his standing as a back up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Did he just let 5 goals in? I thought we'd sacked Burke?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here