Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Dustcart Drivers

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
What's the problem...it does not matter what the wage is...you wanted the job...got it at those wages offered...then moan that someone is getting more than you...OK, move on to another job that pays more...when I saw someone earning more than me,I studied his job,learnt and moved to his position...unions are the politics of envy and the only people who benefit are the union barons...

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
What's the problem...it does not matter what the wage is...you wanted the job...got it at those wages offered...then moan that someone is getting more than you...OK, move on to another job that pays more...when I saw someone earning more than me,I studied his job,learnt and moved to his position...unions are the politics of envy and the only people who benefit are the union barons...

Actually the GMB and the Binmen supported the teaching assistants in their fight to get equal pay in the first place

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Actually the GMB and the Binmen supported the teaching assistants in their fight to get equal pay in the first place
So what is the problem...it seems they are complaining that someone driving a large van is getting as much money as they are...big deal...just do the job for what YOU are paid to do or go for a van drivers job.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
They really are a bunch of thickos. I took my refuse to the tip today as they had not collected for the last two Mondays, the first week a strike day, yesterday I do not know why? Being cantankerous twits I guess?

Anyway, today was recycling day, and as per normal it was collected. Also as per normal the three recycling boxes were left scattered across the drive thereby blocking access to my parking spot. Surely it would be easier to stack the three identical boxes into each other and leave them on the edge of the drive? I would have thought the workers would be wanting to keep the public on their side as much as possible, not alienate them further.

Probably read my comments on here, toxxers!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
They really are a bunch of thickos. I took my refuse to the tip today as they had not collected for the last two Mondays, the first week a strike day, yesterday I do not know why? Being cantankerous twits I guess?

Anyway, today was recycling day, and as per normal it was collected. Also as per normal the three recycling boxes were left scattered across the drive thereby blocking access to my parking spot. Surely it would be easier to stack the three identical boxes into each other and leave them on the edge of the drive? I would have thought the workers would be wanting to keep the public on their side as much as possible, not alienate them further.

Probably read my comments on here, toxxers!
Christ brighton still has the hideous 3 box recycling system lol...so outdated and ridiculous.Just the two big bins here i,e recycling and general waste.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
My grandad is a dust man, the pressure they're on is ridiculous, they have to empty each bin in like 12 seconds and move onto the next house, there told not to collect extra rubbish as the greens believe if you recycle as much as possible, 1 small bin is enough for a house for 4 people

I do sympathise with them, to drive the truck they have more responsibility than others and are required to take medicals, if the council wasn't such a money grabbing franchise, we wouldn't have them striking

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
City Clean are not a private company - they are the 'brand' for the council run collection and cleaning services.

Personally I have some sympathy with the binmen. In pursuit of the utterly stupid 'single status' pay structure our authorities have screwed over some workers - in B&H it is the binmen.

Anybody with a brain cell would agree that a binman and a teaching assistant role are not similar in any way. Yet our utterly out of touch public sector policy makers lump those two roles together for grading, pay and allowances. The simple answer would be to have separate grading etc for separate roles.

As for the binmen - I wouldn't do that job for £19k basic and I'd bet a majority on here wouldn't. This dispute is that qualified dustcart drivers have been graded the same as street cleaners - they have a point. I'm in support of the current strike and it will mean my rubbish isn't collected this week and my recycling next week ( somehow they've managed to hit two of my collection dates in their three selected dates ). All I'll do is take my recycling to the point round the corner and hold on to my rubbish as we could now wait four weeks for a collection if necessary thanks to proper recycling and composting.

£19k, really?
Might give up my job as a fully qualified sparky, (for B&HCC) for that!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Bearing in mind that they are all wheelie or community bins these days and therefore lifted by the truck, it is not much more than a good long walk.......

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Babysitting kids is not hard compared to the physical challenge of doing a bin round.

I do one to one teaching through out the day. I get bitten, hit, spat at, frequently have to restrain children on the floor for periods approaching 20 minutes plus. Work with children whom you can't leave for one second, mediate regular dust ups, learn about each child and their conditions/triggers, assist staff being attacked and very rarely have a full lunch half hour.

I've done labouring before, lugging bricks and sand all day and that was a doddle compared to this.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I do one to one teaching through out the day. I get bitten, hit, spat at, frequently have to restrain children on the floor for periods approaching 20 minutes plus. Work with children whom you can't leave for one second, mediate regular dust ups, learn about each child and their conditions/triggers, assist staff being attacked and very rarely have a full lunch half hour.

I've done labouring before, lugging bricks and sand all day and that was a doddle compared to this.
Well you obviously can't hack what you're doing,so maybe going back to being a labourer isn't a bad thing.
Anyway i know enough headmasters and teachers here and boy they're drama queens:lol:

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
Well you obviously can't hack what you're doing,so maybe going back to being a labourer isn't a bad thing.
Anyway i know enough headmasters and teachers here and boy they're drama queens:lol:

Out of curiosity what's your experience been in the teaching profession?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003

You must be on the wind up? Driving a large vehicle at 10 miles an hour, waiting for a few minutes, then doing the same again does not compare to what Barrel of Fun does.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
No, I'm saying the two can't even be compared. You might as well try and compare jellyfish with pencils.

The council will use a process to score the 'value' of every job and then put them in a rank order. It will then apply a pay structure across the rank order and jobs within specified score ranges will be paid the same grade of pay. It appears that this process concluded that the two jobs mentioned were of the same or similar value because they are being paid the same rate. The content of the two posts are unlikely to have been directly compared and this is not necessary to establish their respective values.

If the council does not undertake and maintain this process they are vulnerable to equal pay claims. The 'single status' process referred to in other posts was probably the council (like all other local authorities) seeking to correct its pay anomalies (where work of equal value was receiving different pay) to reduce/remove its equal pay risks through collective bargaining with its recognised unions.

It looks like the drivers and unions previously negotiated and accepted the single status pay outcomes but are now seeking to move their pay up again. I assume the council view is that the value of the work they undertake has not altered so their pay shouldn't change either (or new equal pay liabilities will be created).

Or something like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here