Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton disabled children's service to be axed !!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ive already mentioned the waste of paying off the failed chief exec £270K.

The chief exec wasn't a failure: it's worse than that, she was replaced because she had been appointed by the previous administration and Labour wanted someone more in tune with what it was doing. That's not an anti-Labour point: the Greens did exactly the same thing, as did the Tories before them.

In central government, civil servants aren't sacked when there's a change of administration and I see no reason to do it in local government. In the past decade, the council must have spent close to a million quid getting rid of officers, money that could have been better spent.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I expect the Cameron's are Tory voters. But they only looked after a disabled child then had to watch him die so are likely to be indifferent. Great point.

Yes - the compassion, empathy and genuine interest he and his government demonstrate toward the vulnerable poor is readily apparent isn't it?

If you seriously think that people can't be indifferent to the plight of others just because they have personally experienced something similar then I'd politely suggest you need to get out more.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
You have no idea what my personal circumstances are and they are irrelevant to this debate. But of course I must be selfish because I disagree with you and those who indulge in simplistic, tedious Tory/tory voter bashing rhetoric.

I believe you're the one that posted 'yawn' on this thread....

If you don't like reading the effect that it's having on people, perhaps read another thread?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Yes - the compassion, empathy and genuine interest he and his government demonstrate toward the vulnerable poor is readily apparent isn't it?

If you seriously think that people can't be indifferent to the plight of others just because they have personally experienced something similar then I'd politely suggest you need to get out more.

Well that depends if you think continually raising the personal tax threshold, and introducing a living wage way above anything Labour suggested will help the vulnerable poor.

So the Tories are condemned as being out of touch not understanding what real people go through then even if they do experience the most awful pain and suffering imaginable .... that doesn't count either.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I believe you're the one that posted 'yawn' on this thread....

If you don't like reading the effect that it's having on people, perhaps read another thread?

My 'weary' response was not aimed at your initial post or anyone who has demonstrated a direct link with cuts to local services coming from government. It was aimed at the Tory voters/facists hang your heads in shame nonsense. Sorry if I haven't made that clear.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Well that depends if you think continually raising the personal tax threshold, and introducing a living wage way above anything Labour suggested will help the vulnerable poor.

So the Tories are condemned as being out of touch not understanding what real people go through then even if they do experience the most awful pain and suffering imaginable .... that doesn't count either.

I don't believe those actions are driven by compassion, empathy or genuine interest. I do believe the actions are borne out of political expediency & that to consider if they will help the vulnerable poor outside the context of other relevant actions is wilfully naive.

I have not condemned the Tories for being out of touch and not understanding what real people go through. I do condemn them for the things they are doing in the full knowledge of the impact it will have and not giving a fvck.

Lastly I'm unclear why Cameron's personal pain and suffering should 'count' in any way. I have simply rejected your suggestion that if someone has gone through an experience like that they cannot be indifferent to the the plight of others undergoing the same thing.

If you want to get really excited consider the proposition that Cameron has (regularly) exploited his personal experiences for political advantage & ask yourself if you have been taken in. Of course I could be wrong, after all they are the real party for Working People...

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Nasty evil bloody Tories... I hear it will be hundreds of elderly care homes next as hedge funds who invested in them are due to go belly up because of huge debts within the next couple of years. The starvation of critical services for the vulnerable and throwing the elderly to the wolves of the commercial sector will finally come to roost. The Conservative government and the rich cronies are destroying this country, piece by piece...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nasty evil bloody Tories... I hear it will be hundreds of elderly care homes next as hedge funds who invested in tem are due to go belly up within the next couple of years. The starvation of critical services for the vulnerable and throwing the elderly to the wolves of the commercial sector will finally come to roost. The Conservative government is destroying this country,,,
The petition is to Brighton council, not the government. It is council tax money, not national budget.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
What about the missing £3.25m parking meter money that senior officers don't like talking about?

Also money could be raised if all student landlords/students had to pay council tax on student accommodation. They pack them in, use services, get a vote but pay nothing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The government is paying the price for making ridiculous promises prior to the election when they didn't actually believe they would be successful, but their stupid promises would be tempered by being in coalition.

Now they are keeping their promises, and vulnerable people are going to suffer.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I don't believe those actions are driven by compassion, empathy or genuine interest. I do believe the actions are borne out of political expediency & that to consider if they will help the vulnerable poor outside the context of other relevant actions is wilfully naive.

I have not condemned the Tories for being out of touch and not understanding what real people go through. I do condemn them for the things they are doing in the full knowledge of the impact it will have and not giving a fvck.

Lastly I'm unclear why Cameron's personal pain and suffering should 'count' in any way and have simply rejected your suggestion that if someone has gone through an experience like that they cannot be indifferent to the the plight of others undergoing the same thing.

If you want to get really excited consider the proposition that Cameron has (regularly) exploited his personal experiences for political advantage & ask yourself if you have been taken in. Of course I could be wrong, after all they are the real party for Working People after all.

Wow and I thought I was a bit cynical. I think most politicians no matter the colour on the Rosette do genuinely care about their communities, fellow citizens and country. Not a fashionable view but it is perhaps easier to always assume the worst motives in people no matter what they do. Of course some policies in some cases deserve condemnation but the view one side of the political spectrum does not care about 'the poor' is oversimplifying matters.

One person perceives exploitation another sees genuine grief and pain that must have some impact on their beliefs and values.

'The party of working people' a bit of political marketing/spin used by all sides but there are record numbers of people in employment.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
The petition is to Brighton council, not the government. It is council tax money, not national budget.

Here's my take for what it is worth:

Council tax does not make up the entire council budget (far from it).
Grants from central Government to local authorities have been significantly cut to service the national debt.
An explanation of the council budget can be found on the council website.
There is a direct relationship between local cuts required and national debt.

Brighton council has to make approx £68m savings over the next four years.
£68m assumes annual c/tax increases of 1.99% (the most you can increase by without needing to conduct a local referendum).
If the council fails to set a balanced budget a black Daimler will drive down from Town to take over and do so.
Children & Adults are, by some distance, the largest council service budgets.
The council budget cannot be balanced year on year without significant service change/reductions in these service areas.
Reducing layers of management and back office functions etc. Has little more than symbolic impact.
Cycle lane grants & the like do not come from the same pot and cannot be spent on social services by the council.

Minority administrations and political intransigence has seen a lack of preparation in Brighton.
The Lab council is now seeking to strategically plan savings over the 4 year period of its administration.
Like any administration Lab will want to deliver most pain in the first 2 years (i.e. Far away from the next election).
Council services and provision will change on an unprecedented scale in the next couple of years.
The council funds many by commissioning services through private and voluntary provision - these contracts will be impacted too.

The current Government has passed debt onto local authorities to deliver with the 'sweetener' of devolved decision making.
The petition is being submitted to the council but if the proposals are reversed here the savings will have to be made elsewhere in the same services.
These are the first tranche of proposals. The next set go to council committee in December.

Most well off people in Brighton will not care or notice until their bins are not collected or they fall over the increased numbers of homeless. Etc.
The NHS & Police all to make to make similar cuts and changes.
If the different organisations fail to work effectively in partnership it will be a lot messier.

The Tories said they would shrink the state.
The last election has now given them the mandate to do so quicker, deeper and irreversibly.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Wow and I thought I was a bit cynical. I think most politicians no matter the colour on the Rosette do genuinely care about their communities, fellow citizens and country. Not a fashionable view but it is perhaps easier to always assume the worst motives in people no matter what they do. Of course some policies in some cases deserve condemnation but the view one side of the political spectrum does not care about 'the poor' is oversimplifying matters.

One person perceives exploitation another sees genuine grief and pain that must have some impact on their beliefs and values.

'The party of working people' a bit of political marketing/spin used by all sides but there are record numbers of people in employment.

Yeah - I don't think our perspectives are easily reconcilable!

I'm afraid I judge by actions and not rhetoric and on those terms the current Government, unshackled since its majority) is demonising the poor and vulnerable in classic distraction mode with the full might of the establishment media behind them.

I actually think the easy option is to believe any Government means well & let them get on rather than question their motives and actions and hold them to account. I get a sense that the institutions of government inspire little but derision and a very healthy cynicism from the young who are seeking something, anything relatable and real - this actually gives me hope. The establishment as it is does not deserve us and we certainly do not deserve them.

Anyhow off to bed so tootle-pip - gotta get up to pay for the match day opium you know.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Grants from central Government to local authorities have been significantly cut to service the national debt.

The last election has now given them the mandate to do so quicker, deeper and irreversibly.

Very interesting my old fruit. Cheers for taking the time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I just fancy bouncing this so it's alongside the "Osborne business pays no tax" thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stop whinging, they're sorting out the fox-hunting bill. What more do you want?

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Brighton council has to make approx £68m savings over the next four years.
£68m assumes annual c/tax increases of 1.99% (the most you can increase by without needing to conduct a local referendum).
If the council fails to set a balanced budget a black Daimler will drive down from Town to take over and do so.
Children & Adults are, by some distance, the largest council service budgets.
The council budget cannot be balanced year on year without significant service change/reductions in these service areas.
Reducing layers of management and back office functions etc. Has little more than symbolic impact.
Cycle lane grants & the like do not come from the same pot and cannot be spent on social services by the council.

Minority administrations and political intransigence has seen a lack of preparation in Brighton.
The Lab council is now seeking to strategically plan savings over the 4 year period of its administration.
Like any administration Lab will want to deliver most pain in the first 2 years (i.e. Far away from the next election).
Council services and provision will change on an unprecedented scale in the next couple of years.
The council funds many by commissioning services through private and voluntary provision - these contracts will be impacted too.

The current Government has passed debt onto local authorities to deliver with the 'sweetener' of devolved decision making.
The petition is being submitted to the council but if the proposals are reversed here the savings will have to be made elsewhere in the same services.
These are the first tranche of proposals. The next set go to council committee in December.

Most well off people in Brighton will not care or notice until their bins are not collected or they fall over the increased numbers of homeless. Etc.
The NHS & Police all to make to make similar cuts and changes.
If the different organisations fail to work effectively in partnership it will be a lot messier.

Very well written it's the government grant that is impacting the decisions, people confuse council tax being the main provider of funds for local government, it's not. In the next four years all Social Care services in the adult and children's sector will be farmed out to the charitable, private provider or the voluntary sector. Assessment services will then follow this path. It's down to cost and to get the cheapest service possible, the majority of staff will be on the minimum wage with poor training and prospects.
As someone else said most will not notice until an elderly relative needs help.
The current service in Brighton and Hove is miles ahead of East and West Sussex in terms of assessment and provision, the real impact will be felt in four years time after these cuts are made.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here