Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Bomber back in Town

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
that could almost be a mission statement for the British black and tans.

Christ on a unicycle, give it up stop going on about the past.....

get over it, that had nothing to do with bombing and killing a kid in warrington for example what did he have to do with the black and tans ????

Terrorism plain and simple.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005

According to you, Lady Jean Shattock, wife of the SW area Tories was a legitimate target of a terror organisation at war with Britain. Roberta Wakeham, the wife of a Government minister was also killed - but their deaths cannot be described as terrorist by any logical definition according to you.

Have a f*cking word with yourself, you're an utter disgrace.

How many legitimate targets were there in the bogside on Bloody Sunday?

Interesting that you deleted your original first paragraph by the way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The fury about him coming here should be framed in the context of the daughter of one of the victims - Jo Berry - actually insisting that the session took place in Brighton rather than London.

As a young man I loathed the IRA. I loathed them for killing kids and innocent shoppers and for bringing a war I wanted no part of right to my own front door. As I grew older I read more, about both sides of the divide. The British may not have blown shoppers in Grafton Street to smithereens but, as a nation, we're responsible for plenty of kid killing ourselves.

The great thing about the Good Friday Agreement is it frames peace around reconciliation and forgiving. It means we can move forward. It means no more Grand bombings and no more Bloody Sundays.

If the daughter of one of the victims can befriend the killer and can talk about her grief in the place it was caused I think Brightonians should let her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The great thing about the Good Friday Agreement is it frames peace around reconciliation and forgiving. It means we can move forward. It means no more Grand bombings and no more Bloody Sundays.

If the daughter of one of the victims can befriend the killer and can talk about her grief in the place it was caused I think Brightonians should let her.

This.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The fury about him coming here should be framed in the context of the daughter of one of the victims - Jo Berry - actually insisting that the session took place in Brighton rather than London.

As a young man I loathed the IRA. I loathed them for killing kids and innocent shoppers and for bringing a war I wanted no part of right to my own front door. As I grew older I read more, about both sides of the divide. The British may not have blown shoppers in Grafton Street to smithereens but, as a nation, we're responsible for plenty of kid killing ourselves.

one of the thing I loved about Mo Molam . shoes off wig off, feet on the table, right lets sort this out, she is sorely missed.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Do you only read the bits of people's posts that you want to. I mentioned the Warrington bomb as a disgusting act of terrorism. The IRA committed a lot of terrorist acts. I condemn terrorist acts wholeheartedly. The Brighton bomb was not, by my definition of the word, a 'terrorist' act as it directly targeted what the IRA saw as their 'enemy' (the UK government). Partly this may be semantics, but in a wider framework, painting everything that a group does as inherently terrorist isn't helpful towards anything but bigotry. Just because the IRA are "a terrorist group" doesn't mean everything they do is automatically a terrorist act. That's the kind of logic that Israel applies when branding all of Hamas - a political party that provides schools, hospitals etc - as terrorists, for example.

If you commit terrorist acts you're a terrorist, even if you commit other acts that are not terrorist or are even beneficial. Similarly if a politician or a businessman takes a bribe he's corrupt, even if he only takes a bribe now and again.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
that could almost be a mission statement for the British black and tans.

You keep mentioning the same point. I am sensing Irish Republican sympathies/Irish Catholic roots? Nothing wrong with that but brings some partiality to your comments, particularly when you talk in your earlier posts about "them" and "us", IF so.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
You keep mentioning the same point. I am sensing Irish Republican sympathies/Irish Catholic roots? Nothing wrong with that but brings some partiality to your comments, particularly when you talk in your earlier posts about "them" and "us", IF so.

lapsed catholic but all my family for generations are from the Forest of Dean.
I do like a little fairness in comments though to write off the IRA just as terrorists is not right but don't be fooled I am no IRA sympathiser their methods were sly but only one learned from us

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Terrorism is such a pejorative term. Within the framework of the war the IRA were fighting, the Grand during the governing party's conference is about as legitimate a target as you can probably get, topped only by that time they fired a bazooka at a cabinet meeting in Westminster. Yes, the IRA did a lot of utterly despicable things - Warrington, for example, is as morally repellant and unjustifiable an act of terrorism as you can get. Surely, though, targetting the leader of the country you consider yourself at war with (as the Grand bomb did) can't be described as 'terrorist' by any logical definition of the word?
Objectively speaking you have a very good point.

From where I stand it was my town, my hotel (have stayed there more than once), they also tried to kill me with the Palace Pier bicycle bomb, so from my viewpoint it was a terrorist act. As much as I understand, and promote, the need for reconciliation, that ******** appearing in Brighton under his own name is taking the pixx.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Objectively speaking you have a very good point.

From where I stand it was my town, my hotel (have stayed there more than once), they also tried to kill me with the Palace Pier bicycle bomb, so from my viewpoint it was a terrorist act. As much as I understand, and promote, the need for reconciliation, that ******** appearing in Brighton under his own name is taking the pixx.

They tried to kill you?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

And fair play to Jo Berry. Sincerely, I mean that. I've no problem with Magee and Berry becoming friends. I can't say I'm particularly happy with him making money from his crimes but I won't be getting aerated about it. My ire was aimed at someone describing the murder of 5 people (none of them government ministers) as legitimate and in no logical sense a terrorist act.

He may well have recanted his old ways and I'm glad that there's peace in Ulster but let's not start with historical revisionism of what he actually did. He planted a bomb with the intention of mass murder. I'm not getting into a pointless game of moral relativism about atrocities in Bogside, he was a terrorist. End of.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
My ire was aimed at someone describing the murder of 5 people (none of them government ministers) as legitimate and in no logical sense a terrorist act.

Oh ffs, I never said that you silly billy. Feel free to continue ignoring 90% of my post and extrapolating the remaining 10% to whatever extent it requires to fuel your righteous ire. You either have comprehesion issues (in which case I'm happy to explain my point further in simpler terms) or you're deliberately shit stirring (in which case you can do one) x

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh ffs, I never said that you silly billy. Feel free to continue ignoring 90% of my post and extrapolating the remaining 10% to whatever extent it requires to fuel your righteous ire. You either have comprehesion issues (in which case I'm happy to explain my point further in simpler terms) or you're deliberately shit stirring (in which case you can do one) x

Your point doesn't get any simpler than this:

The Brighton bomb was not, by my definition of the word, a 'terrorist' act as it directly targeted what the IRA saw as their 'enemy' (the UK government).

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
There are innocent casualties in all 'wars'. Legitimate acts of war (as the Grand bomb was, within the IRA's own frame of reference) will have 'civilian' victims. I just think seeing everything in black and white does everyone a disservice. Targetting shopping areas - particularly working class ones in Northern towns Thatcher/Major never gave a shit about - was not a 'legitimate act of war' even within the IRA's own terms, and I would hope that the IRA themselves executed those responsible for such acts. Targetting Tory conference (as the '84 bomb did) or cabinet (as the Westminster rocket attack did) I do consider legitimate within the frame of reference of the organisation responsible. None of which means I don't condemn it and feel for those killed and injured. In summary: If the IRA had guillotined Mrs Thatcher on the steps of Whitehall I would have applauded loudly, but when they killed kids out shopping, I'd have been first in the queue to string them up. Do you at least understand (if wholly disagree with) the point I am making?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here