Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton best team in the world at build-up - Guardiola

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Pep always likes to lavish us with praise........then stick 3 or 4 past us.

He's not wrong though
Don't recall him being so nice about us the day we stuffed them at the Amex

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Is that Pep-pa Pig above the TV? (Gets coat)
It is no my but might as well be. It has a special tummy for cleaning the tv from mucky finger prints. The kids are all older now so don’t touch the screen anymore but I am not allowed to get rid of the pig. My twin daughters find it amusing to move it over the top corner when I am watching football knowing that it will annoy me but I am too lazy to get up and move it. So just have to guess time left.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is one other factor that appears to be forgotten.

Before we play City we will play t'Arsenal.
This might not be the last compliment coming our way between now and then.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Who remembers when we put Adam Virgo on the right wing and lumped long balls up to him to win the knock downs? It's hard to believe the transformation.
Just posted about him on the fire sale thread :lolol:

I still wear the shirt (the one I bought with his name on the week before he left and never wore himself).

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Pep being Pep but also weehhhatatststtttttthhhheeeefffffffccckkkknnnggggggggeeeeelelllllffffiiirrrrrreeeeee.
Mad really. All of this.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
We all know there’s a fair bit of mind games and expectation management going on here but it’s still completely crazy that Pep can legitimately make these comments about Brighton. The fact that we are a genuine part of such conversations is just… wow!

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
We all know there’s a fair bit of mind games and expectation management going on here but it’s still completely crazy that Pep can legitimately make these comments about Brighton. The fact that we are a genuine part of such conversations is just… wow!
The evolution of people's attitudes to Brighton has been interesting.
First the shock at losing:
"How can we have lost to them?! We should be beating teamslikebrighton." Even the likes of Leeds and West Ham used to talk like that.
Then the excuses:
"We were awful today, we made Brighton look like prime Barcelona."
"Brighton are our bogey team. We never seem to be able to beat them."
Now we're at the stage where even the big teams fear us. Liverpool in the league was the first time I saw it, talking to Reds fans before the game, when they knew they were going to lose. And you see if every game now if you browse online forums. The likes of Spurs and Chelsea this month were expecting to get dominated, and they did. And now Pep, even if it's mind games, we're not even due to play them for over a month. It's incredible.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The evolution of people's attitudes to Brighton has been interesting.
First the shock at losing:
"How can we have lost to them?! We should be beating teamslikebrighton." Even the likes of Leeds and West Ham used to talk like that.
Then the excuses:
"We were awful today, we made Brighton look like prime Barcelona."
"Brighton are our bogey team. We never seem to be able to beat them."
Now we're at the stage where even the big teams fear us. Liverpool in the league was the first time I saw it, talking to Reds fans before the game, when they knew they were going to lose. And you see if every game now if you browse online forums. The likes of Spurs and Chelsea this month were expecting to get dominated, and they did. And now Pep, even if it's mind games, we're not even due to play them for over a month. It's incredible.
I think there is a stage between "they are our bogey team" and "they fear us". It's the "we're not playing well, so your lot will definitely beat us". I've heard this twice now from Man United fans. It's grudgingly accepting that we are good and acknowledging that they have no divine right to win, but insulating themselves from the pain of defeat by making pre-excuses. It's edging towards fear, but still clutching at an historic superiority complex.

It's still bloody patronising.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
You don’t really believe he means it ?
I think he does.
For one thing, I think it could be true, although Man City themselves are also very good at the build-up.
Football boils down to two elements: creating chances (which is what the "build-up" thing is all about) and taking them.
Brighton have become a team that are now consummate masters of the first part. If we can also master the second part then we will truly be among the very best teams in the world. All this on a relatively tiny financial outlay.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You don’t really believe he means it ?
If you really study the opposition when they 'do a Brighton', you'll realise it's not actually that big a compliment. 😆

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think he does.
For one thing, I think it could be true, although Man City themselves are also very good at the build-up.
Football boils down to two elements: creating chances (which is what the "build-up" thing is all about) and taking them.
Brighton have become a team that are now consummate masters of the first part. If we can also master the second part then we will truly be among the very best teams in the world. All this on a relatively tiny financial outlay.
I can't quite believe I am saying this, but I actually think we are as good as Man City, both in playing style and personnel on the pitch with a couple of noticeable exceptions, é.g KDB and EH upfront.(Goalie as well)
Unfortunately our playing style leaves us vulnerable to giving away goals on the break that cost us (Spurs, Fulham, Brentford etc).
For us, the next level is to kill off games like Man City do, get one goal, then get the next one (or two) quickly, and all over by half time. Hopefully we can do this today, because bar Rashford and Bruno we have nothing to fear from United.

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
I can't quite believe I am saying this, but I actually think we are as good as Man City, both in playing style and personnel on the pitch with a couple of noticeable exceptions, é.g KDB and EH upfront.(Goalie as well)
Unfortunately our playing style leaves us vulnerable to giving away goals on the break that cost us (Spurs, Fulham, Brentford etc).
For us, the next level is to kill off games like Man City do, get one goal, then get the next one (or two) quickly, and all over by half time. Hopefully we can do this today, because bar Rashford and Bruno we have nothing to fear from United.

Calm down there. Close but no cigar.

I don't think a single Brighton player starts for City.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here