Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Palace. Hard to explain...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Jesus, how does that work/ Not work? well surprised the Palace mug has not lost the handle yet :)

Surprisingly well although it has to be said, the BHA mug is of far superior quality to the Palace one which is thin and stains easily.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
So the missus and I were talking last night about the recent terrible tragedies and I commented how Palace fans and even their Chairman had been the kindest with regards to messages and support.

She said "But they hate you don't they?", "Well, yes" I replied. "So does this mean they don't hate you anymore?". "Oh God no they still despise us... always will"

To a non football person it's genuinely hard to explain how it works. Palace hate us the most yet support us the most in times of need... and I'm sure we'd reciprocate.

We're a funny lot, us football fans..

As someone who has actively followed Palace since before the Venables/Mullery "war of words" could I just explain?

Palace DON'T hate Albion to that extent, before 1976 it was Millwall or (when we were in the old First division) Chelsea. As you remember Henry Hughton breaking one of your player's leg with bitterness to this day, I recall Ron "Chopper" Harris breaking the leg of John Loughlan our full-back in 1970 at Stamford Bridge, with fury.

More recently after the temporary stay of Charlton at Selhurst in the early 1990's and the ill-feeling that aroused, the Addicks became the hated ones. Only when Albion and Palace play in the same league does the enmity you fell towards us, get reflected. I'm hoping that will happen in the Premiership in 2016/7.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Nah. Not hard to explain at all. It's all just pantomime hatred. My feelings for Manchester United on the other hand...

Never understand why some Albion fans hate teams like United, haven't played each other for donkeys years??? Not really any rivalry of the sort? Makes no sense to me! Have no problems with United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.....

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's a marvel to me that some of the nicest people I know in Brighton are Palace fans.

Going to Selhurst Railway Club for a gig, and no-one rising to my clowning while I played pool with their lot in front of murals of Dougie Freedman et al in the throes of celebration, was a particular point of beffudlement.

Never understand why some Albion fans hate teams like United, haven't played each other for donkeys years??? Not really any rivalry of the sort? Makes no sense to me! Have no problems with United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.....

It's there "fans" that I can't stand, not the ones who actually go to games but the ones who have never been near the stadiums.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I too have a family of mixed loyalties, it's all rather fun really.

Can't say I have ever hated another team, as has been said the word is bandied about too much. I understand hating murderers, rapists, et al but I can't understand hating another person because of the team they support, their faith or the place they live etc.

That said, if anyone leaves a cupboard open; well then they get what the deserve, the B*******!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I genuinely like living with a Palace fan. Not so much now but when we are in the same league it adds another dimension to match days and it's good discussing football with a supporter of a team that has , to us, a good natured rivalry and let's face it, a fair bit in common.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As has been said, usually when either club has been on its uppers and at risk of going out of business, the only thing worse than Palace would be if there was no Palace. And they feel the same about us.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

It's not a rivalry, it's what that club represents. They were the first club to market themselves as a brand, the first to tout themselves in the Far East, the first to open franchises selling their tat in high streets up and down the country, the first to go PLC, the main beneficiaries of Sky money. And the sense of entitlement that the club and its fans have.

You want to know what went wrong with football - just look at the history of Man U from 1980 to 2000.

Last edited:

SAC

May 21, 2014
I remember reading about a group of Charlton fans who met up with a group of Southampton fans and put one of them in hospital. They went to visit him to make sure he was ok. Well, he would have been better if you hadn't broken three of his ribs and stamped on his head but it's the thought that counts!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Or worse still. It would be like watching football in Australia or New Zealand. No singing, no banter, just people sat watching a game. Zzzzzzzz
Sounds like the east stand..

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's not hard to explain at all. "Hate" is the most ridiculously over-used word at times. It's a football rivalry, not a hatred.

Agree, I really dislike the word being used in a sporting context, it's such an extreme emotion, it has no place in sport.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I worked on building sites at the wrong end of the A23 for quite a few years in the early 90's

as you'd imagine lots of Palace amongest them and we all got along with no problems

when Palace played Man Utd in the cup final,I got put on the spot and asked who I wanted to win,obviously I didn't want Palace for historical reasons,if we'd won in '83 it wouldn't of been so bad,we'd both actually came to the conclusion (hypothetically) that if it kicked off somewhere in London on a match day, Brighton & Palace would team up against the mancs & CR's

Brighton v Palace match day is of coure another story

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Assume then that you are too young to have attended the Fa cup final and replay ?

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Or worse still. It would be like watching football in Australia or New Zealand. No singing, no banter, just people sat watching a game. Zzzzzzzz

Sounds like the east stand..

Not quite like the East Stand. You can take your pint and fish & chips to your seat whilst the game is going on:drink:

And the singing was immense at the Melbourne Victory (soccer) game I went to!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here