Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion vs Watford ***Official Match Thread***

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think you're absolutely right we cant expect to promote so quickly again. We need to be more patient with the team at with Gus aswell. If we can finish in the top ten this season and the next then we can talk about top six but right now its important to establishe a solid in the Championship.

I fully agree however I can guarantee very few fans around would agree.

We are getting established very quickly you cannot expect promotion this soon in my view, oh and Mini said it was our worst performance so far since we have been at the Amex and he is right

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I fully agree however I can guarantee very few fans around would agree.

We are getting established very quickly you cannot expect promotion this soon in my view, oh and Mini said it was our worst performance so far since we have been at the Amex and he is right

Agreed, Instant success was never on the cards and I for one am glad. We shouldn't go up this year or else we will come straight back down again.

Too many of our supporters are chucking theirs toys out of their prams and having hissy fits because we are not as good as they want us to be.

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Agreed, Instant success was never on the cards and I for one am glad. We shouldn't go up this year or else we will come straight back down again.

To many of our supporters are chucking theirs toys out of their prams and having hissy fits because we are not as good as they want us to be.

Not in my case, I would be happy to stay in this league if I was seeing entertainng football. Instead, I get bored to tears watching square balls or back passes until we lose the ball as a result of the first ambitious pass being made - straight to an opposition player.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Those that demand a PLAN B, which really mean's booting the ball forward, doesnt really exist in Poyets psyche.

He has learnt through his playing career at the highest level that you must keep good possession to achieve any long term success.

His only Plan B is for his current squad to play Plan A better and if not he will try to recruit technicians that can deliver his Plan A successfully.

In the meantime we will win some and then lose some, but reverting back to some neanderthal 80's throwback will not get the results we all want.

For me Poyet offers a framework for future success, it will take some time, money and patience but if he gets it right then there might be a real chance of Premiership football, now that's exciting.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Those that demand a PLAN B, which really mean's booting the ball forward, doesnt really exist in Poyets psyche.

He has learnt through his playing career at the highest level that you must keep good possession to achieve any long term success.

His only Plan B is for his current squad to play Plan A better and if not he will try to recruit technicians that can deliver his Plan A successfully.

In the meantime we will win some and then lose some, but reverting back to some neanderthal 80's throwback will not get the results we all want.

For me Poyet offers a framework for future success, it will take some time, money and patience but if he gets it right then there might be a real chance of Premiership football, now that's exciting.

You're not giving credit to those that have a bit more intelligence than neanderthal

We have pretty well zero pace through the centre, are lop sided (that is all left or all right) and allow teams to track back, reform and prepare for our next forward move. We try to play an all out passing games but too often our passes go astray or are easily picked off. You might think that others think Plan B is hoofball but I think there are plenty who can see a whole range of different approaches than just lumping it forward

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
You're not giving credit to those that have a bit more intelligence than neanderthal

We have pretty well zero pace through the centre, are lop sided (that is all left or all right) and allow teams to track back, reform and prepare for our next forward move. We try to play an all out passing games but too often our passes go astray or are easily picked off. You might think that others think Plan B is hoofball but I think there are plenty who can see a whole range of different approaches than just lumping it forward

For me, plan B, should be playing open attacking/counter-attacking football like Watford. Oh, hang-on that should be Plan A, instead of the tripe we play!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Just back, bad day at the office I think is the term. Outplayed by a team playing a style of football that Gus would love us to play.

Watford's passing was quicker, crisper, more accurate and the movement off the ball into space was fantastic to watch.

I think there is answer in Watford's style of play, more down the middle rather than slowly getting the ball out wide and expecting the wingers to find an accurate cross to a lone striker.

One observation, while Bridge is a quality player, once he got the ball to KLL he really didn't help him, never over lapped or moved into space leaving KLL to take on two defenders every time.

Pointless moaning as I'm sure others will be a better job than me but we are looking so laboured.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Today we were shocking and I felt for the first time Gus had no idea or plan at 3-1 down, We have no strength in depth and cant bring on a game changer. I see a relegation fight on our hands if we lose key players to the likes of Norwich. I am starting to worry about Gus and if I were Bloom I wouldent give him a penny to spend.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Today we were shocking and I felt for the first time Gus had no idea or plan at 3-1 down, We have no strength in depth and cant bring on a game changer. I see a relegation fight on our hands if we lose key players to the likes of Norwich. I am starting to worry about Gus and if I were Bloom I wouldent give him a penny to spend.

We brought on Barnes as a game changer!!!! That's how bad we are,,

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

A manager is likely to trust a style of play/formation to win a football game.

Yeah there will be tweaks here and there to to try to expose perceived weaknesses of their opponents or to try to set out to combat other teams strengths, but managers will have an overall ethos how they aspire for their club to progress.

Poyet will have an impression of how they need to improve, maybe sharing some of the concerns voiced here tonight, but do not expect a great change in style, just his style done better.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
So why does the f*** he continue to play 1 up front, which clearly hasn't worked for a very long time, he hasnt got a plan b, just sticks to the shit he is serving up at the moment

Agreed, when Plan A doesn't work (like against Watford) we need a Plan B, and we don't seem to have one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here