Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion vs Coventry City *** Official Match Thread ***

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
so getting back to today, did we look like letting it go to a draw in the 2nd or were we always in control?

Somewhere in between the two. We offered Covntry the draw but they were too shit to accept.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
We held on well at end of 2nd half but a better team may well have equalised.

Still a good game and a good result.

Now back to Portsmouth for me.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Blackpool are just in the last play-off place, on goal difference.

The next NINE teams are within 3 points!

Coventry and Doncaster are losing ground at the bottom. league as expected. I think it is so close that it will take 55 pts to avoid relegation.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Coventry and Doncaster are losing ground at the bottom. league as expected. I think it is so close that it will take 55 pts to avoid relegation.

Palace to slide down the table and take the final relegation spot ?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Pretty good in the first half bearing in mind the absence of Buckley, Vicente, baffling!

Second half they pushed up on us and we had no plan B hence they dominated us alarmingly.

Lua Lua looks fit but given about 10-15 mins, again baffling!

Very grateful for a lucky 3 points due to Coventry not being good enough.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
not being able to watch or listen today, can someone tell me if Harley brought anything to the party

A number of posters have suggested that RH had his best game yet for the Albion and is improving match by match.

Personally I agree with that and thought he had a good game today, put himself about a bit and did not shirk any tackles.

Promising !

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think Coventry try to play football rather than hoof into the channels and rely on counter-attacks. Like Leeds, I have gone for 2-2. Not sure about our team though. I am inclined to go with the one that finished the game against Doncaster.

I think Reyes is a great right back, but for this game I would be tempted to play Reyes and Greer in the centre of defence. If he is fit Reyes will have to be certain starter.

261111123943.png

The weakness still looks like the centre of our midfield.

Subs: Brezovan, Dunk, Harley, Lua lua, Hoskins.

I like how you pick the team, and the formation, and then criticise it for being too weak in the middle.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I like how you pick the team, and the formation, and then criticise it for being too weak in the middle.

That's classic 4-3-3 system which relies on a central midfielder with lots of stamina: Box to Box. It is rarely played like this nowadays, but if the other side plays 4-4-2 the home team (Albion) will need the extra effort in midfield to make-up for the man short. The striker (Barnes is best) can some deep to release the left winger in classic 4-3-3 and if we switch to the right then the overlapping right back comes into play. We have never really had a Box to box midfielder. In the glory years of the late seventies we had Lawrenson at the back and he was so good that a defender could move forward and the position of out and out holding midfielder was not needed.

Liverpool play Lucas in this position (CM). Bisquets plays this role to a certain extent but he rarely gets into the opposing penalty area and is more of a holding midfielder that goes forward. If we were playing a better side than Coventry, one alternative is to play 4-4-2 and push our winger (Noone) forward later in the game in a 4-4-2. That's what we would have done against Southampton if Taricco had not got sent off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here