Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion versus Charlton Athletic ***Official Match Thread***

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
With regards to commentary, those unable to be at the game on Saturday and who do not wish to endure BBC Sussex, BBC London will be covering the Orient game as well.

.. but aren't allowed to stream the commentary on-line ? or possibly there are now. I see the Charlton v Brighton game was advertised.

I wonder if this has something to do with the BBC getting the football league rights. As of last season (as far as I was aware) - BBC Radio stations are not allowed to stream commentary online, since the rights are wrapped up with the Football Leagues deal with Perform.

Either that or a cock up by the BBC.

Last edited:

Well tonight's game was live online, so I don't see why there should be a problem. Only mentioned it because David Croft said "Brighton play Orient on Saturday and you will be able to hear it on BBC London". They (BBC London) have always done loads of live cover for the lower league London teams. They do have a DAB station as well which they sometimes use for games.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well tonight's game was live online, so I don't see why there should be a problem. Only mentioned it because David Croft said "Brighton play Orient on Saturday and you will be able to hear it on BBC London". They (BBC London) have always done loads of live cover for the lower league London teams. They do have a DAB station as well which they sometimes use for games.

It's only a problem because Perform (who run the websites) pay the League (who own the rights) for exclusive rights. The BBC commentary has been available online for Brighton games, but only because someone forgot to cut the feed.

The situation with Charlton may possibly be different, but when they dropped out of the Premiership they had to tell their fans on the website that online BBC commentary would be unavailable in the future.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Eurgh Davesviews is back

looks that way but maybe not - reported to mods so they can sort it if warranted and when they have time. This childish nonsense is getting more than tiresome tbh and has a habit of spreading and taking over the board what with dave and eugene and jimbo et al

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Ridiculously happy with that. Class performance, and a point was the least we deserved.

Murray was class tonight, well deserved MoM.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's only a problem because Perform (who run the websites) pay the League (who own the rights) for exclusive rights. The BBC commentary has been available online for Brighton games, but only because someone forgot to cut the feed.

The situation with Charlton may possibly be different, but when they dropped out of the Premiership they had to tell their fans on the website that online BBC commentary would be unavailable in the future.
If the BBC do provide online commentary next season it will be the end of Perform as everyone will cancel their subscriptions.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great performance,did not look like it was 11 vs 10.Well played lads.Never saw the sending off challenge so cant comment.2 passes from Bridcutt in the 2nd half were just sublime.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I did not listen via the Charlton website. I just went onto BBC London and clicked "Listen live" same as I do whenever I am listening to any of BBC London's commentary.

Then possibly there is something different regarding their contract. Odd in regard to Football League Clubs.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Great Result. Good performance by all. Murray,Bridcutt and El Abd were immense. Thought Charlton were poor really and feel other teams will beat them over the course of the season and that they will not be one of our main rivals for promotion. We have got to start winning though. Can't have a ref that bad every week. He was absolutely shocking. Looking Forward to what Gus has to say about him.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Depends on the video evidence , if any. Could be downgraded to a yellow or if there was no contact rescinded on appeal. The club has to pay £500 to lodge an appeal which is non refundable.

:lolol: That tickled me for some reason, like we can't afford the £500.

Good battling performance this evening, we still wanted to get forward and try and win the match even with 10 men. Some stand out performances from El Abd and Murray. Dicker's passing was off tonight and Bridcutt gave the ball away a few times too but Bridcutt got stuck in and made some decent passes too. Dicker should have been replaced by Kish a lot sooner I feel.

El Abd to RB and Elphick to return in the centre of defence maybe?

If the BBC do provide online commentary next season it will be the end of Perform as everyone will cancel their subscriptions.

Good, that will give licence fee payers outside of Sussex equality with those residing therein. Perform/Premium TV can then concentrate on providing full match video. Even if only allowed to stream the following day, I would still pay for it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
do you reckon we would win an apeal against the red card

Not a chance. More likely that it would be increased to a 4 game ban for a frivolous appeal.

Or that good saves/defending stopped CAFC from scoring three times?! Nothing like living a glass half empty life is there!

Well, considering there were three instances where Charlton had space and time to get off three shots that flashed increasinly narrowly wide would suggest it wasn't saves or blocks that stopped them scoring, but their own inaccuracy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sorry for the late post on this as I am a bit preoccupied in hospital now, but I thought that was one of the best performances of the season considering the ref was poor, a sending off and a goal start to charlton. Brilliant effort by the defence. Adam el abd was immense

10/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here