Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion V Partick Thistle ****Official Match Thread****

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The biggest problem early on was the pitch. It was very hard with an uneven bounce. We seemed to be trying to pass ahead of the players at first and these weren't finding the man. Partick had already played a game on it and started better, but when we figured it out we looked a lot more like it. In the first half I thought Toko had a good game covering the back 4, Greer seemed comfortable, March found good space (and a great pass for CMS), Calderon got forward well and CMS did well with the 2 chances he had (a good save and a goal). Difficult to make a judgement on the second half as the HT score gave us a great cushion that we never really looked like surrendering. Shamir took his goal very well - good leap and a firm header back past the keeper. Reminded me of Alex Dawson from a good few years ago. Harris's goal was terrific - and to prove it wasn't a fluke he almost got another toward the end. The most encouraging aspect was that we played most of that half with an average age of about 20 - would have been less if Bruno wasn't on the pitch.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
The biggest problem early on was the pitch. It was very hard with an uneven bounce. We seemed to be trying to pass ahead of the players at first and these weren't finding the man. Partick had already played a game on it and started better, but when we figured it out we looked a lot more like it. In the first half I thought Toko had a good game covering the back 4, Greer seemed comfortable, March found good space (and a great pass for CMS), Calderon got forward well and CMS did well with the 2 chances he had (a good save and a goal). Difficult to make a judgement on the second half as the HT score gave us a great cushion that we never really looked like surrendering. Shamir took his goal very well - good leap and a firm header back past the keeper. Reminded me of Alex Dawson from a good few years ago. Harris's goal was terrific - and to prove it wasn't a fluke he almost got another toward the end. The most encouraging aspect was that we played most of that half with an average age of about 20 - would have been less if Bruno wasn't on the pitch.

Good summary. Pitch was sand with grass on top. Very hard and no give. Can see why Spanish play tippy tappy in that heat and pitch type. Rohan Ince was pick of the second half. Partick lads could not believe how good he was. Best chant from the Thistles "we're average and we know we are'. Christie someone playing for them gave them Scottish daggers.
After game photos with our 3 lads with Macca, Ulloa, toko,jFc, Stephens (on crutches) buckerrs (who didn't pull a hamstring during the photo). Good lads and Ulloa came on the pitch with the lads at end. Very hard to read what the hell was going on with him. Good poker face but not as good as tony the lizard!
Looking forward to Bêtis Thursday night. image.jpg

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
I've only watched the first half so far so improvements may be made in the second.

One note that i made was that there was rarely a midfielder coming deep to collect the ball, there was hardly ever any options for the defence to play it short. I would like to see Toko (or whoever plays in the deepest midfield role) to make an option for the defence to play out and move on to the next phase of attack. Quite often in the first half Toko would go missing when GG had the ball so he was forced to run out with the ball himself, which in fairness he did quite well in this game. However i feel we would come unstuck against better opposition and then be liable to the counter. We also tended to be hitting the ball long a lot more than usual, i believe that this was due to the lack of options for the defence as well.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
It was what it was.A good run-out against a team who looked like their pre-match meal was deep fried mars bars.
My worry would be that we looked a bit lightweight and will struggle against the more "physical" teams in the Championship.
Foster-Caskey was the high point for me,while Buckley looked like he had been dining with the Jocks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good summary. Pitch was sand with grass on top. Very hard and no give. Can see why Spanish play tippy tappy in that heat and pitch type. Rohan Ince was pick of the second half. Partick lads could not believe how good he was. Best chant from the Thistles "we're average and we know we are'. Christie someone playing for them gave them Scottish daggers.
After game photos with our 3 lads with Macca, Ulloa, toko,jFc, Stephens (on crutches) buckerrs (who didn't pull a hamstring during the photo). Good lads and Ulloa came on the pitch with the lads at end. Very hard to read what the hell was going on with him. Good poker face but not as good as tony the lizard!
Looking forward to Bêtis Thursday night.View attachment 56199

Didn't know our pre-season was in Australia?!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've only watched the first half so far so improvements may be made in the second.

One note that i made was that there was rarely a midfielder coming deep to collect the ball, there was hardly ever any options for the defence to play it short. I would like to see Toko (or whoever plays in the deepest midfield role) to make an option for the defence to play out and move on to the next phase of attack. Quite often in the first half Toko would go missing when GG had the ball so he was forced to run out with the ball himself, which in fairness he did quite well in this game. However i feel we would come unstuck against better opposition and then be liable to the counter. We also tended to be hitting the ball long a lot more than usual, i believe that this was due to the lack of options for the defence as well.

Kemy Agustien was free to pass to, but nobody passed to him and when they did his lay-offs were just not good enough.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Enjoyed that - looked good in parts and organised...

Also any Nathan Jones knockers hopefully heard some of his input today. Very astute instructions being issued & clearly has a good reading of the game - could hear he'd done his badges & learnt!

A word on Kemy, who many on twitter said looked good. Have to say from what I saw (30mins it so of first half) I thought he played several aimless hoofs upfield. He's not overweight, he's well built, but did seem a bit leggy in the fitness stakes. He also played a worldy of a pass through to CMS & did some short intricate passes. I guess we saw the good & bad parts of his game today...

Solly March confirmed what an important player he's gonna be for us this year - looked much better in behind the front man. Have to say I hope we don't play CMS in that position under Sammi as he's def not a lone striker. Lessons learnt from that game IMO which is a good thing...

We need 6 or 7 players IMO - seriously lacking in depth..

On Kemy everytime I've seen him play he's been like that. One minute brilliant, the next ridiculously rubbish. He's clearly got the quality and I hope he can get his fitness sorted. I'm presuming he's the sort of player who needs a regular run and injury and fitness have just prevented that. At his best I've really enjoyed watching him. If he and the staff can sort out his fitness then I reckon he could be a very important player for us alongside Ince in the middle.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
On Kemy everytime I've seen him play he's been like that. One minute brilliant, the next ridiculously rubbish. He's clearly got the quality and I hope he can get his fitness sorted. I'm presuming he's the sort of player who needs a regular run and injury and fitness have just prevented that. At his best I've really enjoyed watching him. If he and the staff can sort out his fitness then I reckon he could be a very important player for us alongside Ince in the middle.

Agreed. Although I think Crofty / Stephens must play alongside him if he plays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here