Brighton and Hove Albion v Newcastle United FA Cup round three***Official Match Thread***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
glad i went.i've seen a shocking 1 of our 9 wins so far before today so needed that!!

great performance apart from an odd 15 minutes in the first half when we just decided to sit back. hopefully we kick on from here as we have some very winnable league games

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'll be honest, When I saw Ankerman in goal I did fear the worst and thought maybe a draw or nick a 1-0 win. The only thing I can agree with is that thank god Newcastle didn't have many shots on target. If we get Man Utd, Man City, Liverpool in the next round then lets hope he is not in goal.

That's the same Ankergren who kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford just 3 years ago when playing for Leeds?

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
That's the same Ankergren who kept a clean sheet at Old Trafford just 3 years ago when playing for Leeds?

Come on, lets not keep looking back in History, Went to many away games last year and he was a f***ing clown let alone home games, Mr calamity.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We beat them last year.
Gus has a good record v pardew
We have a good record v pardew,
Their team was decimated,
We've not lost in the fa cup at amex,
A good record in the fa cup on tv (one loss in 5, 6?).
Newcastle failed to win away this season
Newcastle failed to win away in the fa cup for several years.

But we played ankergren (a clean sheet in 36% of his games last season, playing behind a stronger defensive line than last year), dicker (fantastic passer of the ball, one of the more attacking passers in our midfield line up) and hammond, so of course we should have been petrified we were in line for a spanking and no one had any reason to be anything other than suicidal about our hopes :facepalm:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Hoskins movement & finishing for his goal was real class! Sublime

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Couldn't make it today but a lovely performance to watch on the sofa.

Only thing though the ITV coverage. The half time/post match chitty chat all about Newcastle. The BBC are often guilty of this and it's one of the things I applaud Sky for. They treat it as the cup, give equal coverage and don't bang on about the Premiershite.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We beat them last year.
Gus has a good record v pardew
We have a good record v pardew,
Their team was decimated,
We've not lost in the fa cup at amex,
A good record in the fa cup on tv (one loss in 5, 6?).
Newcastle failed to win away this season
Newcastle failed to win away in the fa cup for several years.

But we played ankergren (a clean sheet in 36% of his games last season, playing behind a stronger defensive line than last year), dicker (fantastic passer of the ball, one of the more attacking passers in our midfield line up) and hammond, so of course we should have been petrified we were in line for a spanking. :facepalm:

Gus has a good record against Newcastle as a player and manager, and so do we in cup games.
Our record against Pardew is brilliant wherever he's been, beating Reading to the title, beating Southampton with Gus first game in charge and then beating Newcastle 2 years in a row.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
But I won't as we had a good win today and am in a celebration mood. Take care and have a nice evening :)

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Pundits & bookmakers alike fancied us to win this one. On paper, Newcastle looked very weak, with lots of injuries plus the departure of Demba Ba. Being made favourite for this game was surely the kiss of death?

Nah, Newcastle were every bit as poor as they potentially looked on paper. Bar a shaky few minutes, when we sat back after Ameobi was sent off, we looked fairly comfortable all game. If anything, the score flattered Newcastle.

A fantastic days work. Should we be responsible for getting Pardew the boot, that would of course make the victory all the more sweeter.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Couldn't make it today but a lovely performance to watch on the sofa.

Only thing though the ITV coverage. The half time/post match chitty chat all about Newcastle. The BBC are often guilty of this and it's one of the things I applaud Sky for. They treat it as the cup, give equal coverage and don't bang on about the Premiershite.

The BBC and ITV big up the Premier League clubs to boost the ratings , if they didn't the plastic armchair viewers would lose interest

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Anyone have money on Ba scoring two cup goals on the south coast today? :lolol:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
thought Ankergren had an excellant game - on top form which considering how long he has been sidelined.............. really pleased for him

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
thought Ankergren had an excellant game - on top form which considering how long he has been sidelined.............. really pleased for him

Did not have a lot to do though to be honest. Still find it odd Poyet felt the need to rest a keeper as did Pardew did with Krul

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports