Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion v Charlton Athletic “OFFICIAL MATCH THREAD”

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Absolutely. It concerns me that everyone is burying their heads in the sand. Just look at the table. We've won 4 games out of 20, let in more goals than anyone bar Tranmere, can't even get a point at home. It's all very well saying the last three games has been tough, but noone else in this league is losing those games to an aggregate score of 9-1. We're in a mess and I fear for us a lot more this season than I did last. I just hope it doesn't take until March for everyone to see the light this year.

It would appear that the problems at the club are more deep-rooted than originally thought. We have not been a good side for many years now, and I include the Wilkins era, although many think that we were half-decent then.

Tarrico is right when he says it is a collective responsibility, but we don't seem to have the players with the intelligence to understand that. I too fear for us more than I did last year, because we think we are too good to be in the position we are in, and that is very VERY dangerous.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Absolutely. It concerns me that everyone is burying their heads in the sand. Just look at the table. We've won 4 games out of 20, let in more goals than anyone bar Tranmere, can't even get a point at home. It's all very well saying the last three games has been tough, but noone else in this league is losing those games to an aggregate score of 9-1. We're in a mess and I fear for us a lot more this season than I did last. I just hope it doesn't take until March for everyone to see the light this year.

No-one is burying their heads in the sand but lets stay positive, Gus has had arguably the four toughest games he could get first up, now is his opportunity to really make his mark with more winnable games coming up and the opportunity to spend some time on the training ground with the players.

Just have a little patience.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
First of all, thanks to whoever put on that link to the Radio London(?) commentary.

2-0? - not too bad a result, considering who we were playing. We didn't get hammered, anyway. And we got three points from the last four matches, which is three more than we might have predicted. And McNulty's back.

I think with GP in charge we'll be able to mix it with the teams round about us and just above us - don't think we'll be in the bottom 4 by Christmas.

Onwards and upwards! (although not perhaps very far upwards!)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well first things first, what we've got in defence clearly isn't working. In fact, it's not just not working, it's an absolute calamity. So the first thing to do is to change the personnel. It doesn't matter who comes in - hell, put the youth team in if we have to - but there is no point in persisting with something that has proved over almost half a season that it will lose us virtually every game we play.

Secondly, I'd have got a couple of loans in before the deadline.

Thirdly, I'd make it very clear to all the players who are in the team that if they f*** around they'll be out the door and in the job centre come January/May. We need someone with bollocks to stand up to these cretins who think they can produce shit week after week and get away with it.

1st & 2nd paragraphs - spot on
3rd paragraph - harsh, but after tonight's result, f*** it, UTTERLY fair!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No-one is burying their heads in the sand but lets stay positive, Gus has had arguably the four toughest games he could get first up, now is his opportunity to really make his mark with more winnable games coming up and the opportunity to spend some time on the training ground with the players.

Just have a little patience.

Don't forget Colchester are up soon too so it's not over quite yet! And lets also not forget that every fixture's going to look tough on paper if they're all above us in the table because we keep losing due to our woeful defence. When we score 2, they in 3; when we score 3, they let in 4 etc etc. Even the class of '97 didn't let buses drive through them all the time.

Saying that, wasn't it Pattern who said "when you're going through Hell, just keep going"?!! We seem to have little other option right now.:(

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I don't blame Gus though. I blame the players. It doesn't matter that we've been playing the bigger clubs. They've been THRASHING us. They've been walking through our defence like it isn't there. We're not just losing out by the odd goal like most teams do against Leeds/Norwich/Charlton, we're getting complete destroyed. And we were letting in goals in "winnable games" long before this. Hartlepool scored 3 at Withdean only a month ago remember. Rushden and f***ing Diamonds carved us open twice on Saturday. Gus would need about a decade on the training ground with the likes of El Abd and Virgo to make them competent football league players right now.

If you ignore Southampton (who wouldn't be where they are without the deduction and won't be there come May) we're now 4 points adrift of safety. We've got a MASSIVE game on Saturday. Even in December I think a defeat there could be truly catastrophic. But with this defence I don't care whether Gus Poyet or Gus from Eastenders is in the dugout, I am sure we'll concede at least twice.

I don't think we got destroyed tonight and by all accounts we were the better side for the first half hour. Gus has been unlucky in having such a tough run to start his reign, the next half dozen games into the New Year will be a more realistic group of games to measure our progress.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
You were seriously expecting something better?????

With the way we have been playing? Not really, no. But that's not the point.

There is absolutely no way on God's clean earth that we should EVER accept a home defeat in the LEAGUE as 'not a bad result' - no matter who we are playing. We can accept defeat if we are shit, or the opposition simply outplay us, but I'm sorry, a home league defeat can never be classed as 'not bad', because it ALWAYS is.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It would appear that the problems at the club are more deep-rooted than originally thought. We have not been a good side for many years now, and I include the Wilkins era, although many think that we were half-decent then.

Tarrico is right when he says it is a collective responsibility, but we don't seem to have the players with the intelligence to understand that. I too fear for us more than I did last year, because we think we are too good to be in the position we are in, and that is very VERY dangerous.

I think the truth is in the pudding and our league position doesn't lie...We are not good enough and need decent defenders fast....

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I don't think we got destroyed tonight and by all accounts we were the better side for the first half hour. Gus has been unlucky in having such a tough run to start his reign, the next half dozen games into the New Year will be a more realistic group of games to measure our progress.

There's been progress?? There's not been a lot of evidence so far, even the big man himself has pointed that out!

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Right now I,m thinking any finish above the bottom 4 would be acceptable! How f***ing sad that thought is, given I had much higher hopes for this season. Another relegation dogfight is already upon us. Looking forward to the big deadwood clear out in January, at least we will see the back of McLeod, hawkins, livermore etc and maybe we will sign a defender that can actually defend and a keeper who can command an area and marshall a defence. Bollocks.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
There's been progress?? There's not been a lot of evidence so far, even the big man himself has pointed that out!

I don't know but what is the point in measuring yourselves against the three sides likely to get promoted when you sit in the relegation zone??

Saturday is a game we can get points out of and I would expect us to get something, I think we need to have faith in Gus to turn things around but it will take time and he won't have to play 3 tougher games than we have just had for a long while so lets not panic just yet, it's not like we've just lost to the bottom 3.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Just in, first 20-25 minutes we looked brilliant imo, similar to the start we made at southampton, and more than deserved to go ahead and were so unlucky not too when tunni's header was cleared off the line. Thought we were the better team first half, just two sloppy goals, free header for the first and unlucky that the ball fell to their player for the second after a deflection!
Second half we just looked so one dimentional and lacked any spark at all.
Simply for confidence, i think we have to get a decent result saturday!

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Back from the game, it really is depressing stuff at the moment. sadly, like all our player in the last 30 minutes I have lost heart, interest and belief. Sad but true. At half time I could have quite easily gone home and not cared less :(

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Right now I,m thinking any finish above the bottom 4 would be acceptable! How f***ing sad that thought is, given I had much higher hopes for this season. Another relegation dogfight is already upon us. Looking forward to the big deadwood clear out in January, at least we will see the back of McLeod, hawkins, livermore etc and maybe we will sign a defender that can actually defend and a keeper who can command an area and marshall a defence. Bollocks.

You've hit the nail on the head and depressingly highlighted we are indeed, for 2nd season, in a relegation fight before xmas. Pull curtains, pour drink.....:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here