Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brighton and Hove Albion v Arsenal ****Official Match Thread****

Nov 5, 2012
chichester
I was disappointed with that display. Some spells in the second half to give us a little bit of heart, but the quality over all was far less than we are capable of. Arsenal were of course excellent in the first half, but our languidity and lack of physical leadership had me look on with the feeling that we need quite a change in the summer months at the latest. I have trust in the Hught, but he looked on with a lot to take in and a lot of developments to make for us to be a good balance between sturdy and inventively attacking.

We've won the second half against one of the best teams in Europe. If we hadn't been slow out of the traps we might have got at least a draw. Arsenal were class though and you have to give them credit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A creditable 3/2 defeat ..concede early and then go 2 down is never hard to come back from ..the important game is next Saturday

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
B8N1TgHIgAAVvPa.jpg

:bowdown: Rohan Ince

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A creditable 3/2 defeat ..concede early and then go 2 down is never hard to come back from ..the important game is next Saturday

You're right-it's a doddle to come back from 2 goals down.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
We've won the second half against one of the best teams in Europe. If we hadn't been slow out of the traps we might have got at least a draw. Arsenal were class though and you have to give them credit.

I don't think we outplayed them in the second half to any extent. We were more brave, filling our pockets with yellow cards and finally Ince being the player we've come to admire the sleek beastliness of, and put some men forward with greater intent. I wouldn't class it as a good performance though, or go off feeling thankful that we finally bothered, or really knew what we were doing, when we should have from the off. Arsenal could have upped the pace when they wanted, i think, putting chances away if they felt they really needed to.
Other than Ince and O'Grady for half an hour or so, and March when he came on, i don't think any of our players can go off with their heads held even slightly high.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
It was a bit embarrassing for the Albion 1st half, they stood off and let the arse play their football. They might as well had gone into the stands with the fans and watched the arse with their little triangles, one-twos and give and goes. I thought it could be a cricket score by the end of the game. BUT 2nd half what a change around. We were in their faces, pushing and pulling our way around the pitch, a bit of pride and a change of attitude and 2 cracking goals. It was almost a great result. If only we had turned up 1st half. We are still lacking pace around the pitch and I'm sure it will be a top 12 finish this season and come the summer 4 or five good buys and then . . . .

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

I can never understand how it is in Football and Rugby that several days of preparation the manager/coach achieves nothing but in 15 minutes at half time motivates the team to really come out and perform!
Perhaps they should avoid each other until 15 mins before kick off?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Arsene echoing my exact thoughts from the game. That was really unfair of the Gunners, they came at us with the passion and determination of a lower league club but with the skills and abilities of one of the best teams in Europe. Bradford and Middlesborough did for us before a ball was kicked imo. We were never going to win that game and Arsenal could easily have gone up another couple of gears if required.

"I believe that we won the game at the start. The results from yesterday maybe got us on our toes and we got off to a quick pace, and I think that surprised Brighton."

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I was disappointed with that display. Some spells in the second half to give us a little bit of heart, but the quality over all was far less than we are capable of. Arsenal were of course excellent in the first half, but our languidity and lack of physical leadership had me look on with the feeling that we need quite a change in the summer months at the latest. I have trust in the Hught, but he looked on with a lot to take in and a lot of developments to make for us to be a good balance between sturdy and inventively attacking.

I agree with this assessment (although I do think we would have done a lot better with a fit Tex - or Kaz, for that matter). It was a "spirited display" in the second half, but the gulf in class was in reality an absolute chasm. We too often looked like League One cloggers, unfortunately.

Despite the same scoreline, I don't think you can compare this game to the one in 2013, when we did, at times, match them for skill. Looking at the line-up that day, we really miss the likes of Ulloa, Barnes, Bridcutt, Bridge, Buckley, Lopez and Orlandi. The quality players we had then simply haven't been replaced.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Generally, IMO over the 90 mins the team wasn't in any way disgraced. Unfortunately from the start and for the first thirty mins the team looked overawed by the very nature of the task. If we could have held out through that time we could well have won it. I'm optimistic we are on the right track.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I don't think we outplayed them in the second half to any extent. We were more brave, filling our pockets with yellow cards and finally Ince being the player we've come to admire the sleek beastliness of, and put some men forward with greater intent. I wouldn't class it as a good performance though, or go off feeling thankful that we finally bothered, or really knew what we were doing, when we should have from the off. Arsenal could have upped the pace when they wanted, i think, putting chances away if they felt they really needed to.
Other than Ince and O'Grady for half an hour or so, and March when he came on, i don't think any of our players can go off with their heads held even slightly high.

Agree with this. They were clearly and unsurprisingly better than us for the whole match. In the second half we at least started to close them down and show a bit of tenacity and determination which made for a more even game and got us two well taken goals. Their defence has been their Achilles heel for a long time and it showed because we breached it relatively easily once we started to try. As others have said though they always had another gear in attack.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Shell shocked was how I describe the start. The team and fans never really got over it. Interesting game all the same.

I think we found out what we already knew: some (most) of the Albion players are not of Champions League standard.

Arguably, Wenger was cautious by filling their team with midfielders. (The only other opposition who did this was Wigan with Rosler in charge.) We matched them numerically but the effect was to give Rosicky MOM more room to play.

Then Wenger made a change in the second half which was rather surprising at the time, bringing on Sanchez and Chuba Akpom for Walcott (who had drifted out of the game) and Ozil who wasn't dangerously quick. The upshot of this was our leading scorer could not go up and join the attack.

Bruno went off injured. He did not have all that much to do and could have moved up into midfield.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/913998/Live/England-FA-Cup-2014-2015-Brighton-Arsenal

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm still struggling with the way our defender turned to the side to let the ball go in for the 3rd goal.

Was that Dunk? I was more focused on the weak tackle by an Albion player, possibly JFC. Arsenal rode an unlucky bounce, a weak tackle and a shot that could have been blocked?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here