Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton accent

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
So how far north or west do you have to go until you notice that people have an accent?

North, people in Watford sound prety much the same as Brighton, but if you get as far a Leicester, they speak funny innert

When you go west, Southampton doesnt seem to have any kind of twang, but when you further west a little more, they speak like farmers???

But then the further north you are, there seems to be a different accent every 30 miles

I dunno Southampton and Pompey have a sort of twang to them, sometimes. I dont know about the yoof but people 30+ still have it.

I know a couple of old boys in Rottingdean who speak like Adge Cutler. Well a proper Sussex accent I guess but you know what I mean. It must be to all intents and purposes dead though. Brighton the town must have always been diluted or influenced by London more.

how do you do a link thing - dunno but here are the Coppers anyway.

YouTube - The Copper Familly

This is just non-sense. It is just a southern accent. An attempt to try and be something special like when people pretend they are cockneys.

Nibble, if you listen closely London has a range of different accents. It not all cockney.

Around here, we can differentiate between a Hackney accent, from a Stoke Newington Accent, from Clapton from Homerton. All areas within one borough. The East Ham accent is different again, South London again different and so is west London, Then we get out to Estuary land.

With your reckoning there is also only one northern accent!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I dunno Southampton and Pompey have a sort of twang to them, sometimes. I dont know about the yoof but people 30+ still have it.
Yeah, they don't have much but you occasionally get a little hint of west country type accent.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nibble, if you listen closely London has a range of different accents. It not all cockney.

Around here, we can differentiate between a Hackney accent, from a Stoke Newington Accent, from Clapton from Homerton. All areas within one borough. The East Ham accent is different again, South London again different and so is west London, Then we get out to Estuary land.

With your reckoning there is also only one northern accent!

No, I'm just saying that the Sussex accent is dead. It is similar to the fact that Bolton used to have a very distinct accent from Manchester but the younger generation of Boltonians have all got very similar accents to Manchester. this has happened in Sussex to the point where the accent is gone.

No, I'm just saying that the Sussex accent is dead. It is similar to the fact that Bolton used to have a very distinct accent from Manchester but the younger generation of Boltonians have all got very similar accents to Manchester. this has happened in Sussex to the point where the accent is gone.

I disagree.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Clearly. There doesn't seem to be any decent material on google about it. One or two small articles saying it no longer exists though!

or even just use your ears if google doesnt help.

funny thing is though Brighton and London accents are diverging once again as everyone in London now talks with that f***ing idiotic accent now. Oh my days!

So how far north or west do you have to go until you notice that people have an accent?

North, people in Watford sound prety much the same as Brighton, but if you get as far a Leicester, they speak funny innert

When you go west, Southampton doesnt seem to have any kind of twang, but when you further west a little more, they speak like farmers???

But then the further north you are, there seems to be a different accent every 30 miles

My family is from Portsmouth and my Aunts, Uncles and cousins still have the Pompey twang, it is still alive in Pompey and in Southampton too.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
or even just use your ears if google doesnt help.

funny thing is though Brighton and London accents are diverging once again as everyone in London now talks with that f***ing idiotic accent now. Oh my days!

If there was an accent to hear I would.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
If there was an accent to hear I would.

i see your point. i honestly dont think that there is a brighton accent as such. a significant amount of people i grew up with were from London families, to me its always been a toned down version of that. you can chuck in a twitten or two but theres no real difference to my ears.

i live in SE London and its much f***ing harsher, but that accent is dying too as everyone heads out to kent and sussex as they have done for years, which is what has done away with the rural southern accents for the most part.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i see your point. i honestly dont think that there is a brighton accent as such. a significant amount of people i grew up with were from London families, to me its always been a toned down version of that. you can chuck in a twitten or two but theres no real difference to my ears.

i live in SE London and its much f***ing harsher, but that accent is dying too as everyone heads out to kent and sussex as they have done for years, which is what has done away with the rural southern accents for the most part.

exactly.

right , I have a serious question that I want answering

is it true that the Australlian accent is what the general Sussex accent originally sounded like before it got watered down by Cockneys and other such accents?

or just an urban myth?

Funny you should say that because guys at work think I am Australian because of my accent even though I do my best to convince them I'm not!!

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I seem to pick up accents like I do colds. When I moved down to Romford in Essex after a five-year spell on the Wirral, I had a broad Scouse accent. But lost it within a few months.

I wouldn't say Brighton has a discernible accent, tbh. But some Sussex folk do sound a bit yokel.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Being born in Crawley but going to school in Burgess Hill I think I have a weird RP/ Estuary English hybrid accent that possibly morphs. Locals in Crawley say I sound posh and don't have the typical Crawley accent. People in rural Sussex, think I am a mockney. While people in Brighton don't have a clue where I am from.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Those that know me know Im Brighton born and bred (like Alan) so therefore for a true accent they should listen to both of us!

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester

that's not true, they have a very distinct accent compared to mancs, i'm sure other manc seagulls will back me up on this. it's funny the bolton accent.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
we are now living in Wales,but both of us are Brightonians and while watching some mind numbing crap on TV the lady being interviewed started speaking and we both said virtually at the same time "she's from Brighton" and had to watch on and we were right.
I think the ladies of the parish have a more distinct accent and the gents do sound a little like watered down Cocknies including myself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here