Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridge

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
what about personal and professional pride? dont be a mug supposing his only motivation was money, when he was on loan being paid by another club regardless. what we all saw last season was a player enjoying their game, that didnt stop for the last game.

I don't doubt that he would still have liked to win the playoffs, I'm just saying his motivation to win and do well was probably lower than at the start of the season. If I knew when my contract was up at my work I would be offered triple my wages at another workplace, inevitably my motivation to work hard would decrease.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't doubt that he would still have liked to win the playoffs, I'm just saying his motivation to win and do well was probably lower than at the start of the season. If I knew when my contract was up at my work I would be offered triple my wages at another workplace, inevitably my motivation to work hard would decrease.

He was on 90k a week, he was not looking at tripling that, he was looking at a pay cut. The more he could offer, the less of a pay cut he would have to take.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If I knew when my contract was up at my work I would be offered triple my wages at another workplace, inevitably my motivation to work hard would decrease.

says alot about you, nothing about Bridge.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He was on £90K a week with us so he wouldn't be getting triple wages anywhere. Maybe Reading had tapped him up before the playoffs but he wouldn't have known if we were getting promoted at that point.
Edit, I've just seen Acker make the same point.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He was on 90k a week, he was not looking at tripling that, he was looking at a pay cut. The more he could offer, the less of a pay cut he would have to take.

Yeah, but 10k of that was coming from us and that was realistically what we were still going to offer him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yeah, but 10k of that was coming from us and that was realistically what we were still going to offer him.

But even if he did get triple that (I believe it's been said he's on 24k at reading) its still a pay cut from the 90k he took home every week, regardless of how much we contributed, so he isn't tripling his wages.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
But even if he did get triple that (I believe it's been said he's on 24k at reading) its still a pay cut from the 90k he took home every week, regardless of how much we contributed, so he isn't tripling his wages.

Yes I agree but realistically he was never going to get anywhere near the 90k a week he was being paid so was technically tripling the wages he stood to earn this season.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

As a follow up: NAN (I think) suggested that he would have stayed here for less than the 24k he is on now.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Just seen the Blackpool goal, Royston Drenthe played him an awkward ball that he had to try and control with his chest whilst back peddling and the Blackpool player closed on him quickly and took the ball.

Harsh on Bridge really.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When he negotiated the £90k per week he was the 2nd best left back in England but not so now. It is rumoured that he is on £30k+ a week at Reading with that knob as his manager who if still at Southampton would have probably taken him there.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I loved watching him play for us. I wish him well and hope that Reading come below us in the league.

Completely agree btw. I'm just suggesting a reason for a possible dip in form, I can't remember him having many bad games for us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bridge is better than Ward. Fact.

Don' t think a single poster would argue with that but Ward looks, on only two performances against poor sides admittedly , as good a replacement as we could have hoped for.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I have a contact at Reading who assures me that Wayne Bridge is on more than 24k per week. QPR were offering him more than that ( allegedly 28k ish ) for a guaranteed two year contract. ( 1 + 1 ) He wouldn't have moved to Reading for a one year contract and the same that QPR were offering.
( I have been told..." comfortably over 30k per week " )
There is no way on God's earth that BHA could compete with that and anyway, would Bridge justify that amount of money? He was good with us, very good at times but not getting any younger. Ward isn't quite in Bridge's class but he is solid and dependable and won't let us down.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I have a contact at Reading who assures me that Wayne Bridge is on more than 24k per week. QPR were offering him more than that ( allegedly 28k ish ) for a guaranteed two year contract. ( 1 + 1 ) He wouldn't have moved to Reading for a one year contract and the same that QPR were offering.
( I have been told..." comfortably over 30k per week " )
There is no way on God's earth that BHA could compete with that and anyway, would Bridge justify that amount of money? He was good with us, very good at times but not getting any younger. Ward isn't quite in Bridge's class but he is solid and dependable and won't let us down.
Spot on. I'm not sure I'd want to pay wages like that even if we did get promoted last season. As you say he isn't getting any younger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here