Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt sold £3.25million. (with Sunderland kit picture)

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I am not a high flyer like TB but like us, he is a fan. How many of you would let somebody else sign players without you at least being told who the club were about to buy. There is NO WAY I wouldn't want an input. What if Burke decides to buy Wilbrahim because he fits into the budget. I'd go completely mental if he was signed and I was funding it and hadn't been consulted :lolol:

Informed yes but the coaching team identify who they want and the Football Operations team do the deal, say the coach wants a midfielder but we have no money to buy one in the budget, we have to loan one, the operations team have all the information on who may be available in every team in the county and probably further afield. They then in consultation with the coaching team make a decision based upon this knowledge.

TB and his team went and found Burke he did not just apply for a job in the Argus they head hunted him. He is the person tasked with the responsibility to make the finances of the team work.

It was a very informative interview on Albion Roar and I listened carefully to what he was saying, he is a very impressive professional chosen by TB and his team to do the job they needed doing.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Have you thought about asking in the great big thread dedicated to Bridcutt?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So has the Albion un-turned down his transfer request? You'd have thought they'd have made that official by now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with you Icy. It must be incredibly hard for him as a fan not to pick the phone up and ask what's happening. As timco says though, he's put in place well paid professionals to execute the strategy. He'll want to leave them to get on with it. As chairman, he'll only pick the phone up if things are going disastrously wrong. At the moment, we're in the mix for play offs (a tough ask); we've got a decent squad that one assumes the manager is happy with; attendances are holding up; training ground is on target - there's really no need to get involved on a day to day basis. Still, his phone finger must be itching.

Well exactly, we all spend much too much time during transfer windows scouring NSC for gems amongst the turds, at least TB can make the call and find out exactly what's happening. If he reads NSC I imagine he was straight on the phone when the Wilbrahim rumour was posted :wink:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I agree with you Icy. It must be incredibly hard for him as a fan not to pick the phone up and ask what's happening. As timco says though, he's put in place well paid professionals to execute the strategy. He'll want to leave them to get on with it. As chairman, he'll only pick the phone up if things are going disastrously wrong. At the moment, we're in the mix for play offs (a tough ask); we've got a decent squad that one assumes the manager is happy with; attendances are holding up; training ground is on target - there's really no need to get involved on a day to day basis. Still, his phone finger must be itching.

Think I'd "just pop in as happened to be passing", the pressure not to must be huge. I guess like all businesses though the person left in charge tends to phone the investor / owner on certain critical matters and Bridders transfer, I guess, would be discussed to check all are in agreement. It is, after all, the sale of a club asset?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am not a high flyer like TB but like us, he is a fan. How many of you would let somebody else sign players without you at least being told who the club were about to buy. There is NO WAY I wouldn't want an input.
That's how I feel about it. Certainly when it comes to managing the team, an owner (and his team) should get the best manager they can, and let that manager do their job. An owner shouldn't be trying to pick the team, like QPR were a few years ago. But when it comes to multi-million pound deals, you'd think they'd want to have some input. If they're not going to have any input on anything, what's the point in owning a club?

I don't know about TB but in business generally you would have agreed a complete gameplan for the negotiations prior to them starting, including minimum acceptable levels, flexibilty on what areas, percentages agreeable etc etc. You then leave the team to negotiate within the agreed criteria.
This is the way I would expect a big business to run, you employ a professional to do a job set down clear guidelines on how that is done and let them get on with it.

Only where there is a need to go outside those guidelines would I expect the boards representative (TB) to get involved, EG: the transfer fee is outside the budget constraints.
I wouldn't expect TB to do the negotiations, but I'd think he'd be part of the discussion that comes up with a minimum fee we'd accept. It's been reported recently that Tony Penis wanted to bring in some experienced strikers, to help keep the club up, but Prince Chav said no, he wants to spend the money of younger players with potential. How accurate that was I don't know, but it certainly indicates that sport journalists expect some owners to be involved with the decisions on what players a club buys and sells.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
That's how I feel about it. Certainly when it comes to managing the team, an owner (and his team) should get the best manager they can, and let that manager do their job. An owner shouldn't be trying to pick the team, like QPR were a few years ago. But when it comes to multi-million pound deals, you'd think they'd want to have some input. If they're not going to have any input on anything, what's the point in owning a club?

I wouldn't expect TB to do the negotiations, but I'd think he'd be part of the discussion that comes up with a minimum fee we'd accept. It's been reported recently that Tony Penis wanted to bring in some experienced strikers, to help keep the club up, but Prince Chav said no, he wants to spend the money of younger players with potential. How accurate that was I don't know, but it certainly indicates that sport journalists expect some owners to be involved with the decisions on what players a club buys and sells.

This is where operational and strategic often get confused.

The board will set the budgets, the strategy and issued these to the operational managers to manage. I did say that the operational manager would only go back to the board for approval if anything falls outside the budget or the strategic guidance. I can't see Bridcutt deal being outside either if the coach has said let him go and the operating manager is OK within the given guidelines and budget.

However if I were DB, I would be working with the CEO who may then consult his boss the chairman of the board for a board view but no good chairman will interfere in the running of a business if that business is being run the way the board have set out. No good professional would put up with it and they would be off themselves.

So the chief chav may just be saying again the stratagy of the board, whom he represents as their leader, is to invest in youf not in old heads, the manager can disagree with that and try to get the board to reconsider its strategic plan and if he can't and cannot live with it then he is welcome to reconsider his position. It may of course be the case here, as I believe it was with DK, to be much more involved in the day to day running of the club.

Since TB took over the board it has become a lot more professional and a lot less gentleman's club, in my very humble view.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is where operational and strategic often get confused.

The board will set the budgets, the strategy and issued these to the operational managers to manage. I did say that the operational manager would only go back to the board for approval if anything falls outside the budget or the strategic guidance. I can't see Bridcutt deal being outside either if the coach has said let him go and the operating manager is OK within the given guidelines and budget.

However if I were DB, I would be working with the CEO who may then consult his boss the chairman of the board for a board view but no good chairman will interfere in the running of a business if that business is being run the way the board have set out. No good professional would put up with it and they would be off themselves.

So the chief chav may just be saying again the stratagy of the board, whom he represents as their leader, is to invest in youf not in old heads, the manager can disagree with that and try to get the board to reconsider its strategic plan and if he can't and cannot live with it then he is welcome to reconsider his position. It may of course be the case here, as I believe it was with DK, to be much more involved in the day to day running of the club.

Since TB took over the board it has become a lot more professional and a lot less gentleman's club, in my very humble view.

Don't disagree with anything you are saying except the fact that real football fans, whatever their position in life, are like small children in a sweet shop when it comes to who might be signing for the club. I am willing to bet TB is no different, however divorced he is from the day to day running. I bet he checks in more than once a day as to the progress of transfer talks.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Don't disagree with anything you are saying except the fact that real football fans, whatever their position in life, are like small children in a sweet shop when it comes to who might be signing for the club. I am willing to bet TB is no different, how ever divorced he is from the day to day running. I bet he checks in more than once a day as to the progress of transfer talks.

This I think is where the lizard conflicts with the fan :)

You maybe spot on, without knowing TB better it is hard to say but I think a cool poker player, like a good chairman, never lets emotion get in the way.

But yes I would be on the phone asking PB what f*** is going on :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here