Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt sold £3.25million. (with Sunderland kit picture)

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Don't know why people are so surprised. Liam will have a loyalty clause in his contract which entitles him to a percentage or bonus if he is sold, but if he hands in a transfer request then he doesn't get that bonus. It's therefore a tactic to increase the value of Sunderlands offer by not increasing the offer.

Poyet now needs to up his offer to meet our valuation. From what I've heard the offer is heavily weighted on 'add ons'. When they sell that lump Wickham to Notts Forest we'll see things happen no doubt.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
He's doing a job. He's trying to get himself a better deal elsewhere. I really don't understand fans who bring emotions into it. Fans love the club, players don't.

I wouldnt say players dont have any affection for a club. Calderon certainly loves Brighton, Bennett (who did put a request in but did delay that in the end to get us promoted) still mentions us a fair bit on Twitter too.

For all we know, Bridcutt could love it here - but he wants to play Premier League football. I wont begrudge him that, so we just need to get a good fee now. Cant see them forcing TBs hand either and trying to get him too can end badly.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't know why people are so surprised. Liam will have a loyalty clause in his contract which entitles him to a percentage or bonus if he is sold, but if he hands in a transfer request then he doesn't get that bonus. It's therefore a tactic to increase the value of Sunderlands offer by not increasing the offer.

Poyet now needs to up his offer to meet our valuation. From what I've heard the offer is heavily weighted on 'add ons'. When they sell that lump Wickham to Notts Forest we'll see things happen no doubt.

Very much this. If he doesn't request a transfer and we sell him then, so I was told by the father of a pro, he is entitled to have his contract paid up as technically we are breaking his contract. If he breaks the contract then no compensation is due. I guess that if the player wants to go but doesn't request a transfer then a deal is brokered.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
image.jpg

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If it's Sunderland buying we should add on whatever Gus's compensation clause was. £2.5m wasn't it?

Gus left with nothing , it was an amicable agreement at the end of the day so why would the club want to claw back £2.5M ?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Doesn't bother me too much unless it's to force down the transfer fee, which i'd only put at 3.25 mill, if he wants to leave for less then hope he has to put up with us a little while longer :)

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
any chance that Liam could be doing this in conjunction with the club as a goodwill gesture to waive the loyalty fee and save us some money, with both sides knowing it's only a matter of time anyway before he goes?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Dear oh dear Liam if true. Was hoping he would stay until he end of the season to see if he can get us promoted, albeit via the play offs.

He's almost certain to get relegated with Sunderland and he knows this. So it's purely money. Great player but enough to influence their midfield in the Premier League? Fraid not as it's a massive difference between the divisions.

Will still wish him well and clap him when we meet again. I reiterate though.....IF this is true.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Doesn't quite work like that does it?
Liam wanted to go pre season and was made to stay. The club are taking a similar stance again so he is now asking officially, to leave. The club are doing everything that they have to do which I admire but his head has been turned so it's better that he goes now rather than stay and upset the atmosphere between any other players during the all important run in.
Do you not agree?

What I am saying is that he signed a contract for a particular length of time and needs to be willing to honour it. If the club chooses to try to sell him and he wants to go, so be it, but he has no right to be upset with the club, or give less than 100% on the pitch (as he has at times this season) because he's being made to honour what he has put his name to.

Now, this is a separate issue as to whether I think it's in the interest of the club to sell him. Right now, I think it would be advantageous, especially as the variety of building of play from the defence to midfield has improved considerably under Garcia (it used to be only Bridcutt who could pick a ball from a defender and bring it confidently into midfield. Now others can do that too).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here