Bridcutt "not focused enough"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Albion are gearing themselves up for a potential Premier League bidding war for Liam Bridcutt in the final week of the January transfer window.

Sunderland remain favourites to reach an agreement with the Seagulls over the want-away midfielder, who is keen to be reunited with former Albion boss Gus Poyet at the Stadium of Light.

Bridcutt has also been monitored previously by the likes of Swansea, Norwich and Fulham, so Poyet could face competition for his No.1 January target.

Bridcutt is unlikely to be involved again in Albion's FA Cup tie at Port Vale tomorrow.

A bidding war = Perfect.

Should get the 3 million now :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is the club who are not asking LB to play, not the other way around, so it is perfectly reasonable that the club has to honour its contract and pay LB's wages.

If I have a contract with a company to carry out certain work and they decide that they don't want me to do it then I would rightly require them to honour their side of the contract and pay up despite the work not being done - otherwise there would be no point having a contract.

But its Bridcutt who has put his manager in that position by telling him he's no longer focussed.

As a result its a judgement call that Oscar has been forced to make, and he's decided not to play him. That doesn't obsolve Bridcutt of his responsibility - he's a professional footballer who is handsomely paid. In my view he has an obligation to give his all for his team and his club all the while he is here, particularly after the disastrous injury to Crofts.

I don't begrudge him a move to the Prem for one second, any player in his position would want to do the same. But the reason he is on the brink of a dream move is because BHAFC gave him the platform to develop and then showcase his skills. He should be professional enough to remain focussed and put a shift in for his current employers until or unless that move happens.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't begrudge him a move to the Prem for one second, any player in his position would want to do the same. But the reason he is on the brink of a dream move is because BHAFC gave him the platform to develop and then showcase his skills. He should be professional enough to remain focussed and put a shift in for his current employers until or unless that move happens.

I agree with the sentiments of this paragraph, particularly the highlighted sentence. It amazes me that a player feels they can say they're in no fit state of mind to play. The worst case scenario is that he has to see out a decent contract playing in a decent team in a decent stadium in front of the biggest average crowds in the championship. Then in 18months he can get his move. Re-wind to the summer he joined. He was brought in on a short term contract as cover for a senior player. The worst case scenario for him then was much worse yet with his career genuinely on the line he was able to focus and play. Yet now he is unable to play? It's such shame that it's come to this.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But its Bridcutt who has put his manager in that position by telling him he's no longer focussed.

As a result its a judgement call that Oscar has been forced to make, and he's decided not to play him. That doesn't obsolve Bridcutt of his responsibility - he's a professional footballer who is handsomely paid. In my view he has an obligation to give his all for his team and his club all the while he is here, particularly after the disastrous injury to Crofts.

Brilliant post Easy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think the important word here is ' . . . so Poyet could face competition for his No.1 January target'.

There was a similar 'trying to start a bidding war' article early this transfer window, yet no word of other clubs being interested.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Bravo! :clap2:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
This is what I would say to Liam Bridcutt.

Because you hanker after a move to the Premier League, you say that you are not in the right frame of mind to play for the Albion in the Championship.

There are men who are never in the right frame of mind to go down a coalmine, with all the risks that doing so entails, but they do it.

There were men who were never in the right frame of mind to leave the trenches in Flanders and walk straight into enemy machine-gun fire, but they did it.

There are men in Afghanistan who are rarely in the right frame of mind to risk stepping on an Improvised Explosive Device every time they leave the camp and go out on patrol, but they do it.

All you are being asked to do is to play football and for a club that has helped you develop your career and that pays you handsomely.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What you call vitriol I'd call genuine disappointment, well from my perspective anyway. We have needed him since Crofts got injured and I would have hoped he'd be man enough to step up to the plate. He hasn't, that is a big disappointment to me.

I don't begrudge him a move but until it happens he is still a Brighton player, he is letting the club and his team mates down imo (although I know Orlandi doesn't agree on that front)

Don't get me wrong, I will be as disappointed as the next man if he goes but seems plenty are allowing their disappointment to manifest itself in attacks on LB.

Exactly, how hard would it be to focus on playing football for one game? Players have bereavements and manage it, when you could totally understand them losing focus.

Can anyone point to a direct quote from LB where he has said 'my head's not right, I am not playing'. Or is this a case of good management whereby OG and NJ are aware that issues like this will affect a player and have asked him how he is and on the basis of his answers, they have made the decision not to risk playing him. Had they asked him to play does anyone doubt he would have done his best to give 100%?

I'm really surprised at Liam's attitude TBH since, up to now, he has been the model professional. He should look to the example of Elliott Bennett, who left in the right way, and is rightly still in high regard with Brighton fans.

EB left with an amicable deal with Norwich. It is clear the deal is not amicable between BHA and Sunderland as they haven't agreed a fee.

You are weird, did he say that?

That is exactly what he implied. Thought that was obvious.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Because you hanker after a move to the Premier League, you say that you are not in the right frame of mind to play for the Albion in the Championship.

There are men who are never in the right frame of mind to go down a coalmine, with all the risks that doing so entails, but they do it.

There were men who were never in the right frame of mind to leave the trenches in Flanders and walk straight into enemy machine-gun fire, but they did it.

There are men in Afghanistan who are rarely in the right frame of mind to risk stepping on an Improvised Explosive Device every time they leave the camp and go out on patrol, but they do it.

All you are being asked to do is to play football and for a club that has helped you develop your career and that pays you handsomely.

What a load of shite.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't get me wrong, I will be as disappointed as the next man if he goes but seems plenty are allowing their disappointment to manifest itself in attacks on LB.

Can anyone point to a direct quote from LB where he has said 'my head's not right, I am not playing'. Or is this a case of good management whereby OG and NJ are aware that issues like this will affect a player and have asked him how he is and on the basis of his answers, they have made the decision not to risk playing him. Had they asked him to play does anyone doubt he would have done his best to give 100%?
EB left with an amicable deal with Norwich. It is clear the deal is not amicable between BHA and Sunderland as they haven't agreed a fee.

That is exactly what he implied. Thought that was obvious.

Re that last bit.. I thought so to..but opinions on this thread do seem somewhat polarised... Over basically one game to date

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
What a load of shite.

I was suggesting that Liam should get a sense of perspective and grow up.

His mind is healthy. His body is healthy. His wage-packet is healthy. Yet he won’t play. A lot of people would happily swap places with him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

What a load of shite.

Why exactly?

Because using the above examples are just emotional blackmail and it's pathetic to compare those circumstances with a game of football. Perhaps if playing for us against Derby was a life or death situation I'm reasonably confident LB would have played. I'm pretty confident that if he had been selected by OG he would have played. Also, not to obey orders in the first world war was mutiny and could have resulted in being shot by your own side!!!! Does Sweeney Todd know for a fact LB refused to play? I doubt it. Does he know that he wasn't even willing to play! Again, I doubt it. All we apparently know is that he said he wasn't focused because of the events surrounding his future. The rest is all conjecture by some who are disappointed he is going (as most of us are) and those that seem bitter that he might be joining GP!!!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
This would be my response to those rather over the top statements:

In the South East?

There was no alternative

It's their choice.

You don't want me to be cup tied boss, my price will reduce.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Because using the above examples are just emotional blackmail and it's pathetic to compare those circumstances with a game of football. Perhaps if playing for us against Derby was a life or death situation I'm reasonably confident LB would have played. I'm pretty confident that if he had been selected by OG he would have played. Also, not to obey orders in the first world war was mutiny and could have resulted in being shot by your own side!!!! Does Sweeney Todd know for a fact LB refused to play? I doubt it. Does he know that he wasn't even willing to play! Again, I doubt it. All we apparently know is that he said he wasn't focused because of the events surrounding his future. The rest is all conjecture by some who are disappointed he is going (as most of us are) and those that seem bitter that he might be joining GP!!!

I haven’t said that Bridders refused to play. I based my comments on what the press have said he said to Oscar before the Derby game, which is that he was not in the right frame of mind to play.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Bridcutt should consider himself lucky to have the job that he has. He should play for the club that employs him and for the fans that have supported him. That he has had his head turned by a bigger club is not a good enough reason to continue drawing his salary but not doing the job.

I think we can all agree on that.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I think it's fine to question the guy's attitude in saying he's not focused. Taking into account what he is asked to do day in day out it's not exactly a high pressured situation. I mean, when this is over he'll be on a handsome salary playing for a side going for promotion to the premier league and he's wanted here OR he'll be on a very handsome salary for a premier league side that wanted him so much they splashed the cash. Not exactly something that should worry him.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Can I clarify. Are the club saying he is not in the right frame of mind or Liam?

He's not actually refusing to play is he? That's a genuine question by the way. I've not read about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports