Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bridcutt - interesting choice of words

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I may be banging on here, but he sounds a lot more enthusiastic about being picked for Scotland than he does about next season with us :down:

More excited about playing a huge game against some of the country's finer players rather than against Newport? Alien, i tellsya.
He wants his chance to shine of course and move on up if he can. If a killer offer comes in then he'll go, but i don't imagine he has any sense of great frustration for being at the level he's at...yet.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
If an offer comes in that matches our valuation, and is at a reasonable club, he'll go and good luck to him. How enthusiastic one particular sentence may or may not sound is irrelevant to whether he'll be here or not.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I suspect he's happy to stay for now but would think he'll be looking for a move in Jan if we're not challenging for promotion. Which is fair enough.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
He did seem slightly negative in talking about playing in the Championship. But what you've got to remember is that half the time, all they want to do is stop talking to the boring journalist person and get on with their day.

I'm not worried.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They are definitely the words, and phrasing, of a player who is open to a move. Nothing against the bloke at all, he's been brilliant, and he deserves it. And it's the correct thing for him to say. Better that than some false loyalty nonsense.

But if you were 100 per cent staying, you would say that. Of course you would, it's what people want to hear.

The 'offer' may or may not have come in yet, but I would say it's no better than 50-50 Liam will still be here by August 31, especially if he has a good start. And if he plays and plays well for Scotland at Wembley, he's gone.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I may be banging on here, but he sounds a lot more enthusiastic about being picked for Scotland than he does about next season with us :down:

yep..i think banging on sounds about right lol....with the written word you miss the tone of what is said ....questions asked ..etc..and you can sit all day worrying about something you have no control over ..now if he had added ..well i am contracted to brighton but after that i will be off maybe you would have more of a reason to worry

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
People read far too much into what players say. Imagine if the players and management read that much into what the fans say, they'd be gibbering wrecks.

Also, the last thing we want Bridcutt to do is see his contract out!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Anus interview looks like it was lifted from Seagull World. That interview was a couple of days ago. As someone else posted he sounded perfectly happy. The situation is nothing like it was with Bennett (or Crofts); back then we were playing in front of 6-7000 in division 3. There are dozens of Championship players who could play for a Prem side, and most of them have the good sense to not agitate for a move, and take what comes - especially if they are contracted to play for a decent club with a good chance of promotion.

Next!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I doubt he specifically chose to say those words to lead people on or convey some sort of hidden meaning. They were probably just the first words that came to mind, I don't see any point in scrutinising the phrasing of the words of a footballer, unless it's a text statement and not an interview.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
If a team say Norwich do want Bridcutt, then the offer will have to be around the 7 to 8 Million pound mark. IMO. But if you read the full article, he has praised and hailed Oscar and his methods, and I think that is a bloody good sign he wants to stay here and play under him.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He's happy and professional enough to stay here for another season and do his absolute best - but he'd very much like to play in the Premiership as soon as possible.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I love that he's our player and would be over the moon if he stayed - but a part of me thinks it would be absolutely criminal for him not to be making the step up to the premier league right now. He still has to develop at that level and if he leaves it too late he'll never reach the heights that I think he's capable of. Zamora stayed for three years, Bridcutt has stayed for three years, and if he goes he'll leave with the same fondness that BZ did.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I love that he's our player and would be over the moon if he stayed - but a part of me thinks it would be absolutely criminal for him not to be making the step up to the premier league right now. He still has to develop at that level and if he leaves it too late he'll never reach the heights that I think he's capable of. Zamora stayed for three years, Bridcutt has stayed for three years, and if he goes he'll leave with the same fondness that BZ did.

I think he needs to captain us to the Prem and then he will go down as a legend. unfortunatly at the moment he's just a very good player, much easier for goal scorers to go down as heros.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Fortunately we are not in the same situation as when Zamora left. If Bridcutt goes it will be with everyone's best wishes (don't think you can second guess anything from the interview though) but we don't need to sell and if he can see us making a real attempt for promotion this season then why not give it till Xmas to see how things are going.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So he'd like to play in the EPL (and get paid a lot more) given the chance - no real surprise there. :drama:

Isn't that the sort of thing half NSC seems to have hated Gus for for the last year?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
From the Argus: "I know there's been a lot of talk about me moving clubs but I'm contracted to Brighton so I'm here".

Often revealing to read between the lines when players are directly quoted. Sounds like he'd have fancied a move really. Still, if he intends to honour his contract that's admirable these days… and it's hard to imagine Liam ever giving anything less than his best.

Like others, I think you are reading too much in to it. The article is headlined "Bridcutt hails new coach Garcia", (or something similar, and goes on to describe him as a good guy, after acknowledging how much Gus did for the club. I read in to that comment that Oscar can take it higher.

Obviously this does not mean that the right deal for Liam and the Club might see him move, but it is certainly not an "I want away" interview.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
From the Argus: "I know there's been a lot of talk about me moving clubs but I'm contracted to Brighton so I'm here".

Often revealing to read between the lines when players are directly quoted. Sounds like he'd have fancied a move really. Still, if he intends to honour his contract that's admirable these days… and it's hard to imagine Liam ever giving anything less than his best.

It is interesting that you comment upon that quote. I thought something similar when I read it in the Argus. Maybe he will be going if there is an offer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here