Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Briatore quits F1 over Piquet crash

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
No problem, there are also alleged allegations on the web, that Alonso was in the know. Renault (or Ren_NO emphasis on the NO) will use this as an excuse to pull out of F1, if it can be proven that Alonso was in the know then he should get a years ban, and screw his prospects of a Ferrari (FIA_rrai) drive next next year.

Yeah I reckon Renault are gone if indeed they're not banned. With Alonso it's interesting, I wonder if Ferrari will want to be associated with him if it's found that he's in some way complicit? Mind you I guess they didn't have a problem with Schumacher.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
I don't think it will be, there's too many ifs and buts still in play. You could say it's already tainted because Massa's engine blew up when he was leading by miles in Hungary for example. You could also say Massa winning it would have been unfair because of the ridiculous penalty given to Hamilton at Spa, and so on.

Absolutely agree with this - you have echoed exactly what I have stated in a F1 forum. There is no way his championship win is tainted. Too many ifs buts and maybes. Plenty of other teams made pit stops at the time of the safety car. Ferraris notorious traffic light system caused no end of grief for the team last season and if you want to throw another if but or maybe into the ring - who is to say it wouldnt have happened in Massa's stop if there was no safety car? All this stuff from Ferrari fans is just them just clutching at straws in my opinion. I dont favour any team in particular, although I am happy Force India have scored points this season but above all it is true F1 is turning into more of a farce by the month.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
how come this has taken so long? did they really think they would have got away with it?

F1 is dead. long live scaletrix.

They would have had Nelson kept his mouth shut. And alll the other sitation that we don't know about because people have not blabbed.

Eddie Irvine was on the Radio saying exactly that this morning, cheating and rule bending to gain an advantage goes on all the time,its just they don't get caught.

Schumacher was the worlds best driver, no doubt about that, but he would never have won as many championships had he played by the rules.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
also...anyone remember when Prost only needed to keep senna from scoring a point in japan I think it was in the last race and Prost took them both off at the first corner.....and schumakker taking Hill off when he had crashed and he deliberately threw his car into the side of Hill to stop him going past!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
also...anyone remember when Prost only needed to keep senna from scoring a point in japan I think it was in the last race and Prost took them both off at the first corner.....and schumakker taking Hill off when he had crashed and he deliberately threw his car into the side of Hill to stop him going past!

Senna did the same to Prost too. Having viewed the Schumacher/Hill incident not long ago, now that the emotions have had 15 years to cool off, it does seem to me the Hill came from way too far back and would never have made the move stick anyway.

Schumacher Villeneuve was far too cynical for my liking though, and still looks dodgy now - but Schumacher did get disqualified from the entire World Championship for that one. Also remember the 'crash' he had at Monaco during quali in 2007? I seem to remember he got a 10 place grid penalty for that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Briatore's position at QPR is in doubt now as well. If the FIA ban him from any further involvement in Formula 1, then he'll automatically fail the FL's "fit and proper" rule about owners/directors of football clubs.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I don't think they'll be chucked out of F1. Renault cheated, just like McLaren did with 'spygate'. McLaren's cheating didn't risk lives, Renault's cheating did risk lives. Therefore, in my opinion, Renault's penalty should be harsher.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Having viewed the Schumacher/Hill incident not long ago, now that the emotions have had 15 years to cool off, it does seem to me the Hill came from way too far back and would never have made the move stick anyway.

Schumacher was out of the race. Was Hill supposed to park behind him?

I've no idea what "move" you think he was making. ???

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Schumacher was out of the race. Was Hill supposed to park behind him?

I've no idea what "move" you think he was making. ???

Schumacher was in the lead, Hill was in second place. Hill went to overtake from what was too far back (that is the "move" I talk of). Had Schumacher used common sense he would have fairly easily re-taken the lead on the exit of the corner, as Hill would have gone wide with all the excess speed he was carrying.

However, Schumacher saw red and smashed into Hill and the rest is history. There is no denying that Schumacher's move was silly. I was just saying that Schumacher did not need to knock off Hill, he could have clamly retaken the lead with no fuss.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Schumacher was in the lead, Hill was in second place. Hill went to overtake from what was too far back (that is the "move" I talk of). Had Schumacher used common sense he would have fairly easily re-taken the lead on the exit of the corner, as Hill would have gone wide with all the excess speed he was carrying.

However, Schumacher saw red and smashed into Hill and the rest is history. There is no denying that Schumacher's move was silly. I was just saying that Schumacher did not need to knock off Hill, he could have clamly retaken the lead with no fuss.

I'm going to have to watch it again!

My recollection was that Schumacher had crashed and broken his front suspension, but then managed to turn back across the track into Hill's path.

I guess you are talking about the incident at the British Grand Prix, where I always thought it was Hill's fault.....

It was the one I'm referring to that was in the final race of the year and sealed the championship, though. Wasn't that the race that Mansell won?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

My recollection was that Schumacher had crashed and broken his front suspension, but then managed to turn back across the track into Hill's path.

I guess you are talking about the incident at the British Grand Prix, where I always thought it was Hill's fault.....

It was the one I'm referring to that was in the final race of the year and sealed the championship, though. Wasn't that the race that Mansell won?

Yes, yes I am thinking of Britain... just watched the Adelade replay to confirm it.

I. Am. A. Muppet.

:dunce:

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008

I just viewed the Adelaide incident (1994) and without a shadow of a doubt - Schumacher knew exactly what he was doing. Having gone off the track, he damaged his car when he hit the wall. Damon did not see Schumacher make contact with the wall, when Damon came around the corner all he saw was Schumacher making his way back onto the circuit and across to the left hand side of the circuit. Schumacher veered to the left hand side so violently, it looked like he was pulling over to let Damon through. As Damon went up the inside, Mr Schumacher decided to immediately turn in on him, thus damaging Damon's suspension. I think that Michael Schumacher was undoubtably the best F1 driver of his generation, arguably of all time but I will never forgive him for Adelaide 1994. In addition, what other people have quite correctly pointed out in this thread is that he would have won nowhere near the amount of titles he did without the help and assistant of "yes man" team mates. Now that is tainted, in my opinion anyway!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here