Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Clough

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm pretty sure the loan deal was cancelled before we even made the final, no?

I have just looked at the book and Ward's loan was up rather than cancelled before the cup final, PW wanted to stay at Brighton because he thought we had a chance of getting to the final.

Ward went to see Clough and asked him about going on loan for the rest of the season.
Clough said " Son, I've never been to a Cup Final and neither will you"

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Peter O'Sullivan:

“Cloughie was a great motivator. He made you feel like a better player. He was the best manager I played under. A lot of people at the club didn’t like him because he didn’t like them. He had his own way of managing. Peter Taylor and he would watch training from the sidelines rather than lead it, and call you over to have a word. It was their style. Cloughie did play in five-a-side matches and he was still banging in the goals. I fell out with every boss apart from him!”

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
This month marks the tenth anniversary of Clough's death. Should we join with the Forest and Derby fans mentioned in this........
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/06/brian-clough-10th-anniversary-death

Never entirely sure what I made of Clough's time with us although the Bristol Rovers game was comedy gold in its own way

don't suppose Leeds fans will neither,he left us at the first chance he got

I think the Walton game was worse,at least Rovers were top of the league

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He certainly divides opinion more than any other footballing personality. IMO he put us on the map publicity wise while Peter Taylor actually did all the work.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Brian Clough coming to Brighton and Hove Albion, for whatever reasons. Probably done more to raise the profile of our little tin pot club(as we were though of, by the rest of the country) than any other moment in our clubs entire history. And for that reason alone he should be fondly remembered.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
His treatment of Justin Fashanu was awful.

His treatment of Fashanu was a sign of the times. It may well have been wrong and totally out of order, but we are talking about an era when people would throw bananas at black players and do monkey chants as they ran. Don't allow your judgement of one man be clouded by something which at the time 99.9% of managers would not have had a homosexual player in their changing room.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Clough had a rocky first season at everyone of his clubs. He and Taylor kept Brighton up in 1973/74 and rebuilt the side for the following season. To that extent, he delivered in the short time he was here.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
On this topic, I read 'Provided you don't kiss me: 20 years with Brian Clough' by Duncan Hamilton a few years back. Twas an interesting read.

Great read, thoroughly recommend the book

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
His treatment of Fashanu was a sign of the times. It may well have been wrong and totally out of order, but we are talking about an era when people would throw bananas at black players and do monkey chants as they ran. Don't allow your judgement of one man be clouded by something which at the time 99.9% of managers would not have had a homosexual in their changing room.

Must have been other gay footballers who were accepted by their manager, just feel how he was treated gives us an insight into Clough.One thing about Cloughie he will always divide oplnion.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
I wonder what would have happened had he stayed. Could it have been us facing the cream of Europe?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
His treatment of Fashanu was a sign of the times. It may well have been wrong and totally out of order, but we are talking about an era when people would throw bananas at black players and do monkey chants as they ran. Don't allow your judgement of one man be clouded by something which at the time 99.9% of managers would not have had a homosexual in their changing room.

Must have been other gay footballers who were accepted by their manager, just feel how he was treated gives us an insight into Clough.One thing about Cloughie he will always divide oplnion.

Must there??? I'm guessing you are of a certain age, that wasn't around football in the late 70's or early 80's, otherwise you would know exactly why there wasn't any openly gay footballers.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Must there??? I'm guessing you are of a certain age, that wasn't around football in the late 70's or early 80's, otherwise you would know exactly why there wasn't any openly gay footballers.

We don't have any now (playing).I cannot believe that Fashanu within the confines of the dressing room was the only player known or suspected of being gay.Fashanu when playing for Clough was not openly gay and only came out much later.Fashanu was the sort of player who needed an arm around his shoulder and a bit of support not to be ostracised and told to train with the kids.As a football manager he is up there with the best just a shame he was homophobic.l do have fond memories of watching Justin play a friendly against Spurs(5 nil if i remember rightly)and supposed hard man Graham Roberts running to the referee because Justin was giving him such a hard time.Shame he broke down I think he would have helped us gain promotion, he was an excellent no9.

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We don't have any now (playing).I cannot believe that Fashanu within the confines of the dressing room was the only player known or suspected of being gay.Fashanu when playing for Clough was not openly gay and only came out much later.Fashanu was the sort of player who needed an arm around his shoulder and a bit of support not to be ostracised and told to train with the kids.As a football manager he is up there with the best just a shame he was homophobic.

But the point I am making to you, is at that time the whole of football was homophobic, as was very large sections of the general public. As well as being racist and sexist. It's not really as much as a sign of the times but more a reflection that people in general just had a lack of understanding of such subjects. You can let you opinion of Clough be clouded if you like, but I can assure you his views were shared by the vast majority of people at that time....If you were to vote for the greatest prime minister this country ever had, I am sure Winston Churchill would probably win hands down and I can assure you he was sexist, homophobic and more than likely racist as well...They were just different times, that's all

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
But the point I am making to you, is at that time the whole of football was homophobic, as was very large sections of the general public. As well as being racist and sexist. It's not really as much as a sign of the times but more a reflection that people in general just had a lack of understanding of such subjects. You can let you opinion of Clough be clouded if you like, but I can assure you his views were shared by the vast majority of people at that time....If you were to vote for the greatest prime minister this country ever had, I am sure Winston Churchill would probably win hands down and I can assure you he was sexist, homophobic and more than likely racist as well...They were just different times, that's all

I agree.All I am saying is gay footballers must have been accommodated within some teams and not being treated in the same manner as Fashanu.Statistically their must have been been more than one gay player.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
I agree.All I am saying is gay footballers must have been accommodated within some teams and not being treated in the same manner as Fashanu.Statistically their must have been been more than one gay player.
unless they were caught going to gay night clubs as fashanu was no one would have known it's not something that they would have shouted about

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here