Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Clough.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He signed: Peter Grummitt (good), Ken Goodeve (useless), Harry Wilson (useless), Ronnie Welch (useless), Paul Fuschillo (useless), Billy McEwan (OK), Steve Govier (useless), Andy Rollings (good), Ian Mellor (good) and Fred Binney (good). I thought he just made big changes without thinking first, when Peter Taylor (The First) took over we started to build the team which so far was the best in the history of the club.

I thought Harry Wilson was pretty good actually......what do others think/remember?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
he was a complete and utter twat - took the job because he needed employment but never wanted to be this far south

Pretty much this!Seem to recall him swanning off to USA to watch an Ali fight rather than stay and do what he was paid for.
Took the piss out of Albion,but at least Taylor had the good grace to stay and lay the foundations for Mullery's 'Glory Years'.
Also totally mismanaged Wardy when he signed for Forest( read Wardy's book!)Big headed alcoholic twat.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
The only game I saw under Clough was his best result, coincidentally a 4-0 away win at Charlton. He seemed quite pleased at the end. Ron Howell scored a hat trick.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
It was an exciting time whilst Clough was here and the publicty was great, It appeared he only came here until a better opportunity came up, I knew several people at the ground and they said he was rarely at the Goldstone between matches, visiting America and the middle east plus in tv studios,Taylor appeared to put more into the partnership.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I know a chap who played for Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest. No, really. He played for 20 minutes at the end of a season, so Clough could assess him as a youth team prospect. He was promptly released, and called "useless" by Clough himself!
:lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We got some publicity out of it, but as a manager he was a disaster. The team he inherited wasn't bad, just a bit battered and short of confidence - Clough shattered every last bit of confidence they had, made them frightened to play, and bought in some pretty average players.
To sum up his Albion career in a few words: the best thing he did for us was leave.
(and by the way, I was at the 2-8 Bristol Rovers match - still have the programme!)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
he was a complete and utter twat - took the job because he needed employment but never wanted to be this far south

Peter Taylor on the other hand was a gentleman and the better manager of the two IMO being less up his own arse and more in the real world

Sums his time here perfectly, he missed one home game as he was in Las Vegas watching a boxing match. Whatever he achieved elsewhere he took the piss here.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
The only game I saw under Clough was his best result, coincidentally a 4-0 away win at Charlton. He seemed quite pleased at the end. Ron Howell scored a hat trick.

and Howell was i believe ordered by Clough not to speak to reporters after the game!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I beg to differ about Harry Wilson. He was a decent full back

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The great thing about Clough's appointment was it signalled intent. Up to that point we'd just been a humdrum 3rd division club; Bamber's appointment of Clough and Taylor showed that he wanted us to aim a bit higher.

But yes, team and result-wise he was not a success. It was a good job Taylor stayed and laid the groundwork for the 'Glory Years' otherwise you could just dismiss the whole thing as a publicity stunt by both Bamber and Clough.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I rated Harry Wilson as well.

Clough and Allison were both pundits on Brian Moore's The Big Match but I don't think we played Palace under Clough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here