Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Clough offering Dean Saunders a job!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Apart from the fact it barely resembles the truth (according to Alan Hill who was there) and makes light of a disease that costs thousands of people their lives in this country every year. I'm sure Brian Clough's family find it hilarious.

Do you all laugh at Paul Gascoigne's current predicament as well?

At the very least, if Saunders wants to make personal gain from this fabrication (he charges 1,000 to 2,000 quid to reel off this anecdote at after dinner speeches,) perhaps he should make a significant donation to Alcohol Concern or somesuch.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Apart from the fact it barely resembles the truth (according to Alan Hill who was there) and makes light of a disease that costs thousands of people their lives in this country every year. I'm sure Brian Clough's family find it hilarious.

Do you all laugh at Paul Gascoigne's current predicament as well?

At the very least, if Saunders wants to make personal gain from this fabrication (he charges 1,000 to 2,000 quid to reel off this anecdote at after dinner speeches,) perhaps he should make a significant donation to Alcohol Concern or somesuch.

Is that right? I did wonder.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Bollocks, its a funny story. Sounds like there are only a handful of people who actually know what happened and the journo who wrote that piece isn't one of them. He doesn't even look old enough to have been around when Clough was managing to be fair. So as far as I'm concerned it's his word against Saunders. I'm sure Dean has tweeked said story to make it a better anecdote but in the same breath the journo is duty bound to his employers to make their product more sales and appealing to the disgusted of Tunbridge Wells types is what the Guardian is good at. You don't watch a stand up comedian and instantly check the validity of all of the jokes they tell....or maybe you do.

Is alcoholism funny? No it's not. Are drunk people funny...yes sometimes.

We all know Clough was a piss head but we also know he was a great character, a ****ing good manager and fantastic for the game of football. When I think of Clough I remember him for footballing reasons and not because he liked a peeve. If I were the member of the Clough family I'd be delighted that 12 years after his death his dad still has the ability make people smile.

And the direct quotes from Alan Hill?

“It’s a good after-dinner speech but unfortunately most of it isn’t true,” he told me. “Brian wasn’t drunk, he wasn’t crawling on his hands and knees, he didn’t sit facing a wall, he didn’t mention the carpet once and there was no flowerpot … it just feels like he [Saunders] has put this story through a very imaginative scriptwriter and this is what they’ve come up with.”

All rather awkward, I’m sure you will agree. “Brian liked a drink and we all know he had a situation towards the end but he wasn’t drunk that day at all,” Hill continued. “He didn’t do the things that have been said and I’ve no idea why he [Saunders] would say them.

“Brian arrived with Archie Gemmill. ‘Hello, Mr Clough,’ Saunders said. ‘Son, call me Brian,’ he replied. It was all perfectly normal. He didn’t really want to speak to an agent, that’s correct, and we were told it was going to be difficult because Saunders had already agreed a deal with Everton. ‘It won’t be difficult,’ Brian told him, ‘we’ll just offer you more money than they have.’ Then off he went up the garden to smell the lavender.

“When he’d gone, Saunders told me Everton had offered him £8,000. ‘A month?’ I asked. ‘No, a week.’ Crikey. I told Brian and his reaction was: ‘Bloody hell, that’s more than me, our Nigel and Pearcey get together.’ First of all, though, he wanted me to do something. ‘Smell this flower,’ he said, ‘it’s beautiful.’

“After half an hour Saunders said he would talk it through with his wife and went home. Then at 9pm he rang to say Liverpool had matched our offer and he would rather go there because his father used to play for them. So that’s it. Brian wasn’t drunk, and it’s not fair. There are all sorts of different Brian Clough stories – I tell some myself, but not derogatory ones, not ones like this.”

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
If I were Nigel Clough or any other member of the Clough family, I would be seriously thinking about suing Dean Saunders.

.I think to be honest his immediate family knew his character and personality were bigger than the city ground , and on his day he was capable of pretty outrageous behaviour and perky quotes, and if Dean did make it up it sounds close to the sort of stunt clough would pull to achieve his aim.
he used to water the pitch himself at night before a game until he fell asleep and flooded the penalty area ( 2 hours until he woke up )
And during a pitch invasion he chinned a forest fan running on , and rumour was on Monday morning live on BBC Trent radio said supporter apologised for making cloughie punch him and thanked him for helping him see the errors of his way.
He was larger than life and I would like to believe deans story was delivered with admiration not malice , one thing is sure the world is a duller place without him . R I P- B.C # RESPECT

points taken.

For myself, I loved his "I may not be the best manager in the country, but I'm certainly in the top one".......... and it was probably true.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
More the decision of the board than Barry Lloyd I think.

But yes that's a wonderful story. I'm just surprised that it hasn't surfaced before. Maybe Dean was just keeping it quiet for some reason.

Decision forced on the club by Barclays.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Decision forced on the club by Barclays.

Whilst I'm sure that is true, I remember Dean Saunders being in and out of the team for Richard Tiltman who went onto forge a very successful career flogging insurance. I vaguely remember an interview at the time with Saunders who suggested he would be off given that he'd been dropped for a player as shit as Tiltman.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whilst I'm sure that is true, I remember Dean Saunders being in and out of the team for Richard Tiltman who went onto forge a very successful career flogging insurance. I vaguely remember an interview at the time with Saunders who suggested he would be off given that he'd been dropped for a player as shit as Tiltman.

Saunders only scored six goals that season before he was sold in March. Barry Lloyd dropped him in place of superTilts.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Saunders only scored six goals that season before he was sold in March. Barry Lloyd dropped him in place of superTilts.

Poor old Tiltman. He used to come round our house every month or so in his new job selling my old man god knows what. We never realised who he was for ages until my old man got into a conversation with him about what he used to do.

He sheepishly mentioned that he had played Professional football

'For who? My dad said excitedly

'Brighton'

'Really - I'm a season ticket holder! I don't recognise you, what's your name'

'Richard Tiltman

Silence

More Silence

Followed by Tumbleweed

My dad then proceeded to absolutely wet himself laughing. Poor bloke.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Poor old Tiltman. He used to come round our house every month or so in his new job selling my old man god knows what. We never realised who he was for ages until my old man got into a conversation with him about what he used to do.

He sheepishly mentioned that he had played Professional football

'For who? My dad said excitedly

'Brighton'

'Really - I'm a season ticket holder! I don't recognise you, what's your name'

'Richard Tiltman

Silence

More Silence

Followed by Tumbleweed

My dad then proceeded to absolutely wet himself laughing. Poor bloke.

A couple of seasons ago I was a guest of Ian Hart in corporate hospitality. Harty's other guest was the one and only TIlts himself. Thoroughly nice bloke, and although we all have a bit of a chuckle about him, he at least did play in the second division of English football, something all of us would have given our right arms for.

I was fortunate enough to see his only goal in that division, a 25 yard screamer at Oakwell, followed five minutes later by an equally amazing thunderbolt that hit the bar. Sadly we lost the game 3-1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here