Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brewery Tap closed

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
When I went to go in for lunch earlier doors firmly locked......

Has looked like it's been in decline recently, what with the building works been unfinished from about a year back.???

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
OMG! - Quick we're gonna need a volunteer to break this news to Tom Hark Preston Park!

D

Deleted User X18H

I don't think this is a major thing. A lot of pubs around here are closing early in the week, the Chimney House on Mondays for instance. However I did have an accountant friend give the PBT a once over when the lease was up a while ago......apparently it weren't pretty.

I will be strolling past later and will report back.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
They had a closing party for the regulars last night.

RIP The Brewery Tap:angel:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
3 Pubs where I live have closed in last 12 months, Leeds a couple of weeks ago seemed to have more closed pubs than open..........................and we have a binge drinking epidemic which wil be solved by raising tax on alchohol.

From the same people that said the smoking ban wouldn't affect pubs!

Those unemployed bar staff must be breathing much easier as the jog their way down to the Job Center Plus.

D

Deleted User X18H

I came past just now (working from home!) well and truly shut all curtains drawn,very sad. Park View, Crown and Anchor or Station. It was just one pub too many and it borders on quite a non residential part of town. Move it up under South Road Bridge and you'd be onto a winner.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Blimey, that all happened very suddenly. New pre/post match pub now needed by our (usually) merry little band then. Don't think I could stomach the C&A, mind. :nono:

Cunning plan needed Mr Hark!

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
The Station is by far the best pre-match pub imho, although it does get pretty busy.

Wasn't a fan of the Brewery Tap but its sad to see a local pub go under.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't a fan of the Brewery Tap but its sad to see a local pub go under.

Meh, no effort to improve or even change means it went under. That area isn't exactly underpopulated. Put on some decent grub and clean the palce up a bit and it could have done alright IMO.

Let's not beat around the bush, it was a hole.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
I'd suggest The Station as well ... Always a good atmosphere and the barmaids are actively encouraged to have their SCHMIDS on display at all times:thumbsup:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Meh, no effort to improve or even change means it went under. That area isn't exactly underpopulated. Put on some decent grub and clean the palce up a bit and it could have done alright IMO.

This. That no-one realises that there's a big gap in the market for a half-decent slightly poncey pub with food in an area not short of a few quid is a bit baffling really.

Talking of boozers in that area, any news on the Dyke Road Tavern btw? There's a site with a lot of potential.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton

Well, a few people on here seem to have been very fond of it, so i didnt want to kick them while they're down.

But yeah, i wouldnt disagree with you

Public Pervert

Rakehell
Feb 19, 2010
Another one bites the dust. My local recently went the same way after over 200 years of service (it was a really decent pub in a lovely building which no doubt will now be carved up into flats). Pubs are closing at an alarming rate and these important social meeting places and parts of our heritage are not seen as worthy of government intervention to try and save them. Many small villages have seen thei only boozer close along with their post office and other shops. They're not much more than satelite dormatory housing settlements now. I hate to sound like a rose-tinted Little Englander but this nation really is going to shit.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Well, a few people on here seem to have been very fond of it, so i didnt want to kick them while they're down.

But yeah, i wouldnt disagree with you

Wasn't the plushest boozer and can quite understand why it's closed down.
I far preferred it to Sportsman even in it's bedraggled state, you were usually served by a friendly person pretty promptly two important plus points.
No way I'd bother going there if it wasn't a Match day BUT the same can be said for The Crown And Anchor.

RIP TPBT

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
No, it wasn't in the best condition, but was a useful stop off after a game to meet with mates, and the most recent manager did seem to be making a real effort. Mind you, I was surprised by the amount of free food she dished up after games; very nice, but surely must have cost a bit. I think it was undermined by the previous manager, who hadn't a clue how to keep beer - there must have been real problems in the cellar. Oh well, will have to find an alternative watering hole. Saying that, I would not recommend eating at the Crown and Anchor before games, especially the big ones. I went there before Manchester City last season, arriving at 6.20 and ordering a meal, which eventually came at 7.15, meaning that I had to wolf it down. That was not the only occasion this has happened. I took my parents there before going to the Theatre Royal, having once had a perfectly good meal there, and again they took ages to deliver the food. Someone was staying there, and wanted to get to their room. The manager had gone out, and no-one knew where the key was. What a way to run a pub.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
15 odd years ago it was run by a bloke called Eddie and the place ROCKED regularly. The quiz night was always rammed on sundays, lock ins all the time etc. then a game old bird called denise took over but that seemed to end in tears. since then it has been dying on its arse.
No doubt it will be three or four flats by this time next year.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
There is hope for The Swan Inn at Falmer yet :) Go bust, close down and the club can buy it for match day drinking

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
15 odd years ago it was run by a bloke called Eddie and the place ROCKED regularly. The quiz night was always rammed on sundays, lock ins all the time etc. then a game old bird called denise took over but that seemed to end in tears. since then it has been dying on its arse.
No doubt it will be three or four flats by this time next year.

I used to drink there a lot around 1989 when Eddie ran it (he even came on a lad's holiday one year). I don't think I left before 2AM on a saturday night ever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here