Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brewdog Xmas teaser for you business accountant types

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is an amazing rise from humble beginnings and the reason I’m pleased to see it is because although I totally ‘get it’ with their aggressive marketing they still produce an excellent product.

By all accounts they treat the people who work for them very decently also.

This.

Think I’ll hold onto my shares for a bit longer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Tough choice.

Sell 22% to the corporate whores and get World Domination plus £50m each for the founders or build World Domination over decades or keep the whole of the business pure.

I’d take the £50m keeping 78% of the business ‘Punk’ if I was one of the founders.

Cash and fast-track world domination. No brainer.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This.

Think I’ll hold onto my shares for a bit longer.

This also. US-based private equity company will have done its sums and will be expecting a big return on its investment. Unless you really need the money, makes sense IMHO to stick around for the ride. Who knows, at some point they may even go public, when you'll then be allowed to sell as many or as few shares of your holding as the market has an appetite for. As the blessed Mel Gibson once said: Hold! HOLD! HOOOLD!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some Brewdog Xmas news, just announced :xmas:

'BrewDog toasts £213m US private equity investment

BrewDog, the Aberdeenshire-based craft brewer, is now worth more than £1bn after selling a stake to a US private equity firm.

The brewer has raised £213m from TSG Consumer Partners, for a 22.3% stake.

The deal will see about £100m paid out to the brewer‘s co-founders, a further £100m go into the business and the rest used to buy shares from early investors.

BrewDog earlier relied on crowdfunded cash and has 55,000 small investors.

Founders James Watt and Martin Dickie had previously said they would never sell to a multinational beer maker, but Mr Watt told the selling a minority stake to the US firm would “give us the fire power to compete globally”.

Close to £13m will be available to smaller investors who responded to BrewDog‘s earlier crowdfunding efforts. They will this week get the chance to sell shares, but can only sell up to 15% of their holdings, up to a maximum of 40 shares.'

https://stockdailydish.com/brewdog-toasts-213m-us-private-equity-investment/

Confused - this happened in April 2017. Why is it being reported now?

FYI - Northern Monk took a similar deal from PE this year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Confused - this happened in April 2017. Why is it being reported now?

No idea, just flagging it up at face value. Do vaguely recall the previous reported deal. Sort of assumed yesterday's reported news (in only one place admittedly, so far as I can see) was kosher, abd some kind of further carve-up of the shares. Tho might just be one helluva crap website. You'd sort of assume they'd be interested in establishing some sort of credibility tho eh?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I just won a two day jolly to Aberdeen on the back of Brewdog sales! Flying me up there at the end of January...anybody been to the brewery before?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I just won a two day jolly to Aberdeen on the back of Brewdog sales! Flying me up there at the end of January...anybody been to the brewery before?

Went in the summer for their Beatnik thing.

It is bloody impress the size / scale of it. Been to places like Fullers but this felt bigger.

The Overworks brewery is cool - has it's own bar and pizza place.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
Based on the number of shares in issue, and the £25 price tag they’re currently available for in their latest fund raising, the market cap of BrewDog is 3.25 billion.

If that’s a realistic valuation, those of us who invested in 2009 are doing rather well for a speculative punt.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I like they way they get people’s knickers in a twist. .......did I mention they make great beer. Dispute the latter and you’re lost.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Went in the summer for their Beatnik thing.

It is bloody impress the size / scale of it. Been to places like Fullers but this felt bigger.

The Overworks brewery is cool - has it's own bar and pizza place.

Looking forward to it. Don't they have a hotel too?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You mention in your article they could promote women's rights. They'd have to go a ****ing long way to reverse the amount of mysogeny they showed in the first 5-10 years. Vulgar company and the only bottle beer I've ever bought of theirs wasn't all that.

Maybe give them another go rather than that single bottle you’ve tried from their 30 or so beers.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Based on the number of shares in issue, and the £25 price tag they’re currently available for in their latest fund raising, the market cap of BrewDog is 3.25 billion.

If that’s a realistic valuation, those of us who invested in 2009 are doing rather well for a speculative punt.

The £25 probably isn't a proper 'share' price, given it is private equity. There is an 'element' of beer club tax in here. The last share trading day, £13 was the median price I think. Which is still a significant profit for anyone in EFP1-3. I was in EFP2 myself - paid £200 for what is now 400 shares.

Looking forward to it. Don't they have a hotel too?

Kind of - but it isn't in Ellon. It is above the Cowgate bar in town. It isn't like the US one though but still looks fairly cool.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I like they way they get people’s knickers in a twist. .......did I mention they make great beer. Dispute the latter and you’re lost.

Agree. They seem to do more good than bad, make great beer and have fun along the way. Yet they still attract snide comments about being Punks from the sort of dullards who ask vegetarians “is that a leather belt?”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The £25 probably isn't a proper 'share' price, given it is private equity. There is an 'element' of beer club tax in here. The last share trading day, £13 was the median price I think. Which is still a significant profit for anyone in EFP1-3. I was in EFP2 myself - paid £200 for what is now 400 shares.

Kind of - but it isn't in Ellon. It is above the Cowgate bar in town. It isn't like the US one though but still looks fairly cool.

Thanks for those figures. My return is around 28 times from EPII. I have 2200 shares from just over a grand.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks for those figures. My return is around 28 times from EPII. I have 2200 shares from just over a grand.

Should be another trading day in May 2020 if you want to off load some

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Should be another trading day in May 2020 if you want to off load some

Cheers. Personally, I’m gonna stick.

As an aside, whilst it cost me a grand I reckon I have had my money back over the past 10 years in discounts, freebies and also a year’s membership of the Abstract Club. I’m really happy the way it has gone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All this talk is making me thirsty.....

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I'm not sure I saw a definitive price when SABMiller bought Meantime earlier this year, but I saw figures of £40-50m mooted. Prior to that, it's 2014 figures were a profit of c£500k on sales of c£17m.

I note Brewdog has been pretty scathing about the Camden Town sale to AB InBev, as it had been for Meantime previously. Same old publicity whores, I guess.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...rewer-Meantime-pocketed-frothy-120m-deal.html

Won't say how I know but this is very accurate....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here